Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1955 6196 Country Club pink case

For some time I have been looking at this beauty. Seller says this black Lifton case is original, but I've never seen a pink interior with a 50' Gretsch case. Someone?

No don't think that's original. It would have come in a gretsch tweed case

Greatch guitars were not sold with a case... they were sold separately which is why guitars of the same model from the same batch can have different "original" cases. The retailers decided what cases they would stock, and offer as protection for the guitars they sold. This is why not every 6120 came with a cowboy case. Typically the retailer offered a range, so if you spent the big money on your new guitar, you might be forced to go with a lower-end case.

Geez, that wouldn't be a deal killer. Looks sweet!

Different shade of pink than 50s Gibson cases? Still cool tho.

I had a one owner 56 that came with a Lifton case with a similar interior.

Eddie is right. My family owned a guitar shop in the 60/70s. Because not everyone would buy a case with their guitar, we had a large inventory of extra cases in stock all the time. We would often buy guitars from Gretsch and other companies without case and sell a case from inventory. When someone bought a guitar, we would offer a selection of cases that fit the body/shape at different price points. If someone could not afford a Gretsch case, but we had a used Gibson case that would fit….we sold it that way.

Now a days, seems we see a lot of guitars offered with a case as part of the sale. That was not the case in days gone by.

In 1995 I custom ordered the flamiest blondest Synchro 400C; the case was extra. Man, I miss that guitar.

Now a days, seems we see a lot of guitars offered with a case as part of the sale. That was not the case in days gone by...

Some things haven't changed much. Three years ago, I bought a brand new, untouched by human hands Taylor... Case was another 120.00

Are you sure it's a Lifton case? Looks like a Geib case to me with faded purple lining. They were used in the 30's and 40's.

Register Sign in to join the conversation