Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1955 6120

Congrats Brad. Nothing beats those G brand 6120s from 55’ and 56’.

put some fresh strings on and give the truss rod a tweak and then hopefully it will make some quality honky tonk sounds.

Post some more pics when it arrives. Let us know how it plays and sounds.

– Gasmoney

Thanks! The truss rod is the first thing I want to check. Still enjoying the DSW with the p90 and vintage Dearmond I bought from you awhile back!

Congrats Brad!

– JCHiggy

Thanks.

I think your big concern will be the neck joint. It may have had a reset which can be a good thing. Make sure it’s tight and nothing too funny. The dowel looks to have been added to secure it. Those things may just be cosmetic and not structural.

if your local to Chicago and want an extra pair of eyes give me a call.

I think your big concern will be the neck joint. It may have had a reset which can be a good thing. Make sure it’s tight and nothing too funny. The dowel looks to have been added to secure it. Those things may just be cosmetic and not structural.

– Joe Desperado

Thanks Joe. I live in Seattle... I may take it to Emerald City or Mike and Mikes to check it out ... hopefully they can do it with short notice. I have a ‘57 Streamliner so I know a bit .... if the joint is solid, neck is straight and truss rod works it’ll be all good. They say it had a top crack repair too... not sure how common or deterimental that is. Brad

Top should be laminate (plywood). 99% of the time cracks are just the top layer and not the other two. As long as the repair looks cosmetically good, you should be fine.

– Joe Desperado

What an absolute champion, Joe! Really nice offer

What an absolute champion, Joe! Really nice offer

– eCastro

Yes, thanks Joe! What a great community we have here! A wealth of knowledge!

So the guitar came today and I was pleased that it was fairly intact. The neck was solid and sounded pretty good. Things I noticed were the frets were pretty worn down, the action at the bottom of the neck was high, the screws holding the Bigsby was pulling at the bottom and the bridge was close to being pegged at the lowest level. I took it into my local shop at they determined for it to play right the neck should be reset, new frets and headstock wings reglued. I expected to have to do some work at the price I got the guitar for... I even got $1000 off the asking price. At first I was only going to do the minimal... but after talking to their luthier... I decided on a neck reset and new frets. The shop said they may wish to document some or all of the repair on YouTube... so I’ll let you know when that happens. I’m still really excited about it and never thought about returning it... this guitar has a really cool vintage vibe with a little imperfection to make it unique. Even the tacky yellow gold replate was kind of cool... kind of like an old guy with shiney gold tooth caps! I’ll keep everyone update with progress. Brad

Worth spending the money. Make sure you got good ppl on it.

Will they use hide glue to reset the neck? Does anyone know if this makes a difference?

It’ll be money well spent for sure, Brad. It’s just part of the game really.

Worth spending the money. Make sure you got good ppl on it.

Will they use hide glue to reset the neck? Does anyone know if this makes a difference?

– eCastro

Thanks... I think so... it’s an extremely cool guitar that deserves the repair. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

I’m having the work done at Emerald City Guitars in Seattle. I’ve known those guys for a long time and they do excellent work.

Really happy for you Bradomatic ! Fantastic looking 6120! Please keep us updated

Brad I just got a 56’ 6120 from the same batch last week. I traded a custom shop penguin for it! It’s had a little bit of work but it’s a killer old G brand. Just a few numbers away from yours. You’ll love yours when you get it back.

the 56 is the closer one

Congrats to you too Fred,that looks killer sir!

Yes... I got it! More than I ever spent on a guitar but this is a this is a guitar I’ve always wanted and this was my chance! Bradomatic

Yeah buddy! That was one pricy guitar purchase, the AUD converted to USD after your $1000 (AUD) discount, equals aprox $5,466 (USD) It's way more than I've ever spent on a guitar too, my top drawer guitars have been in the $2500 (USD) range. I have only one vintage guitar, I bought it myself forty years ago (its not nearly as old as yours). Congratulations on your awesome score, Brad, play her in excellent health with all of the enjoyment an NGD brings !

Brad I just got a 56’ 6120 from the same batch last week. I traded a custom shop penguin for it! It’s had a little bit of work but it’s a killer old G brand. Just a few numbers away from yours. You’ll love yours when you get it back.

the 56 is the closer one

– Gasmoney

Sweet! Congrats to you! That batch must have a streaky red vibe to them. Can’t wait to get it back!

Yes... I got it! More than I ever spent on a guitar but this is a this is a guitar I’ve always wanted and this was my chance! Bradomatic

Yeah buddy! That was one pricy guitar purchase, the AUD converted to USD after your $1000 (AUD) discount, equals aprox $5,466 (USD) It's way more than I've ever spent on a guitar too, my top drawer guitars have been in the $2500 (USD) range. I have only one vintage guitar, I bought it myself forty years ago (its not nearly as old as yours). Congratulations on your awesome score, Brad, play her in excellent health with all of the enjoyment an NGD brings !

– Wade H

I was a little shell shocked when the offer was accepted. But life is short and in the long run it was my only chance to own a vintage g-brand Gretsch. They are giving me a really good deal on the repair making this a potential good investment... although I have no intention to sell it.

Thanks for the congrats!

the 56 is the closer one

– Gasmoney

You know they say that the 6120 has the same body as a 6189 but the 6120 seems way beefier.

The 6189 only has one Dyna and a lighter weight tailpiece (compared to a Bigsby). That might make the 6120 feel more substantial.

Hey guys. My repair guy is doing a video series of my guitar... be kind!

First installment.

looking forward to episode 2! \

looking forward to episode 2! \

– eCastro

Me too!

I bet you are. Would love it to be mine. Be great watching it come together and having video documentation.

If you ever do go to sell will be a testimony to the integrity of the work done

Cool !

One little remark: nut was aluminium, not brass. (my former '55 pictured below)

Register Sign in to join the conversation