Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1955 6120

I saw a 1955 6120 on Reverb that doesn’t have the steer head or the western inlays... did any come that way?

Anything is possible... but it's doubtful. A more plausible explanation would be an aftermarket re-neck. Or maybe it's not a '55 and the seller has mis-attributed it's vintage. Hard to determine much without a link or photo.

Looks like a ‘56 neck, but difficult to tell without a close-up of the headstock.

‘57 era Bigsby arm and Grover Imperial tuners are both incorrect so it’s a bit of a mutt all round.

Tone knob looks like it’s falling off the edge of the bout, but I think we’ve discussed this phenomenon before, so that could help date the body.

Also, all the gold looks too yellow, but that could just be a dodgy photo.

Yes... there's several '56 feature there (large TRC, blank-block inlays, alloy-B6, cast-arm B6).

Is it just the photo or me or is that bigsby mounted way off center?

Is it just the photo or me or is that bigsby mounted way off center?

– Chmason85

You might want to turn your head 90*. It looks totally fine to me.

No nail holes.

I also think the Bigsby is off-centre. In the close up shot you can see the strings don’t align over the pole pieces.

Hell I’d hit that one too. I know a guy that makes great repro overlays with steers-head that would look great on this one.

The dowel on the heel confirms that this is a re-neck with a '56 era fretboard/headstock inlay. Interesting it lacks a metal nut. Probably a great player!

Hey Joe... you've got the steers-head headstock overlay, and I've got the '55 anodized B6. We could bring this baby back to life and share custody!

No nail holes.

I also think the Bigsby is off-centre. In the close up shot you can see the strings don’t align over the pole pieces.

– Deke Martin

This could very well be because of not so accurate pickup placement/mounting. Tuning machines -> nut -> neck alignment -> bridge -> Bigsby... looks rather good to me. The pickups weren't spaced for the position anyway back in the days.

On second look that thing is a mess. The dowel is not factory, the binding is messed up by the heel too.

There's the label pic in the reverb listing. From what I've been able to decipher, serial number seems to be 20830, making it late 56. Means also neck features are consistent with vintage and should be original to the guitar.

Gold parts seems too bright, pickguard holder, knobs and DeArmond cases have maybe been re-plated (?) Aluminium bridge base is not original to the guitar.

Just seen the guitar sold. Price was quite low tho. Maybe a good player and sure can be restored to original condition.

Hope someone here bought it so we get to hear the tale!

Bradomatic?

The listing stated that the gold parts had been re-plated.

There's the label pic in the reverb listing. From what I've been able to decipher, serial number seems to be 20830, making it late 56. Means also neck features are consistent with vintage and should be original to the guitar.

Gold parts seems too bright, pickguard holder, knobs and DeArmond cases have maybe been re-plated (?) Aluminium bridge base is not original to the guitar.

Just seen the guitar sold. Price was quite low tho. Maybe a good player and sure can be restored to original condition.

– Hepkat67

You are correct (the serial number always tells the story)! Here are photos of #20832 and #20834... both showing those late '56 batch features.

Yes... I got it! More than I ever spent on a guitar but this is a this is a guitar I’ve always wanted and this was my chance! I’ll have three days to check it out ... so I’ll probably confer with you guys if I have questions. Nice to know the specs match up for the most part as a late ‘56. We’ll see what happens.

Glad the serial number cleared up the concern of features.

Congrats on your score!!

– kc_eddie_b

Thank you!

Congratulations Bradomatic! Hope you can make a video

Congratulations Bradomatic! Hope you can make a video

– eCastro

Thanks ... hope it all works out! Like I said...this is quite the expenditure for me. I need to thin the herd!

Congrats Brad. Nothing beats those G brand 6120s from 55’ and 56’.

put some fresh strings on and give the truss rod a tweak and then hopefully it will make some quality honky tonk sounds.

Post some more pics when it arrives. Let us know how it plays and sounds.

Register Sign in to join the conversation