Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1953 Gretsch Synchromatic 6014-5 gets a new pickguard!

Like most guitars of this model, it lacked its pickguard when I bought her a number of years ago. After several years of searching an original, I gave up and made my own! It was a time-consuming but fun task to do. The big challenge was the bindings, but it worked. One mistake I made was not to subsrtact the thickness of the binding when I did the template. The actual pickguard without binding is exactly the size of the original(with bindings), but now became a few mm bigger overall with the binding added. Anyway, I was quite pleased with the end result.

Beautiful Andreas! It's the twin to my '41, the difference being the tort binding on mine.

Very nice!

Beautiful workmanship, Andreas! Looks gorgeous!

Thanks for the compliments It was the first pickguard I ever made. I wish there was a little more tortoise material to choose from with the right thickness and appearance/patterns. I bought mine from Stewmac. It looks nice, but I wish you could buy a sheet that looked like the original shown here.

Beautiful work Andreas, very nice indeed!

Beautiful. Now that it has a pickguard do you think you may add a Guild 1100 floating pickup to it?

Great job! Axinc.net has celluloid tort.

– Setzer

I have bought that from them. They have gorgeous stuff

Great job! Axinc.net has celluloid tort.

– Setzer

Tanks for the link!

Beautiful. Now that it has a pickguard do you think you may add a Guild 1100 floating pickup to it?

– ThePolecats

I havent thought about that, but that sounds interesting!

Nice looking guitar, now you made it look complete.

Register Sign in to join the conversation