Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1953 Gretsch 6014 100 - Looking At

for sale on local craigslist and plan to go look at it today. I can only assume it will need a neck reset but wonder what you all think of the price. After some research these were the bottom of the barrel guitars produced by gretsch which would lead to me $900 being to high unless there was no need for a neck reset.

what say you?

https://newyork.craigslist....

They are antiques... cool antiques, of course. And not all antiques are valuable. If if played well, $750?

These are great old utilitiy guitars and wonderful if you get get one for under 500

900 is way too much. You can get a lot more guitar that wil play a lot better for that money.

I've owned a few. They hung on my wall.

I don't give a dam what he said he paid for it - allegedly trying to recoup his investment - $900 is too much to pay for a '53 Corsair. On the plus side, this model has binding on the neck and headstock which some other Gretsch archtops didn't receive. It also has the chromatic "harp" tailpiece which is a definite upgrade from what the New Yorkers came with! In '53, the bridge remained a compensated rosewood but the base went from the very pretty Art Deco version to the very plain 'modern' style.

'53 was also the last year without a trussrod. The seller alludes to it needing some maintenance but doesn't specify, which could be a refret and/or a neck reset. Both are costly with the neck reset of course going to set you back on the high side of $300. Assuming a refret is done by a quality luthier, it will have a surcharge cost due to cutting the tang to properly overhang the binding.

This guitar doesn't come with a pickguard either and the original was a white bound tort. Frank in the Netherlands can make a beautiful new bound one for somewhere around $100.

This guitar also has the white button version of tuners - my '41 Synchro 100 has solid brass open back Grovers, which I consider an upgrade, not these. YMMV.

This guitar is a sunburst, not the natural finish and there really isn't any difference in value between the two finishes so it's up to an individual which they place more value on.

According to Ed's bible - Manual of Gretsch Guitars '50's - page 45, this model was".....intended to be a middle-of-the-road acoustic archtop' not "bottom of the barrel"...that was the New Yorker. Ed also describes this as an upgrade to the post-war Synchro but doesn't mention if it still has a carved top, which I suspect that by now, it might not. My '41 - considered pre-war does have a carved top so I'm wondering what the 'upgrade' consisted of?? I do know that by '55, the only Gretsch archtops still having a carved top were the top-of-the-line custom order only Fleetwood and Eldorado.

Hope this helps.

all leaning towards no unless he takes was less than he is asking... i didnt get to see today because of work. will check out after the blizzard

Be sure and flip the bridge around if you do get a chance to try it.

I have one, the blond version 6014-5. I love mine, very beautiful guitar with a pretty good sound having a laminate top. $900 is a lot for that guitar. I have seen others go for $4-500. It is a pretty common guitar and shows up quite often like 4-5 times a year on ebay.

I have one, the blond version 6014-5. I love mine, very beautiful guitar with a pretty good sound having a laminate top. $900 is a lot for that guitar. I have seen others go for $4-500. It is a pretty common guitar and shows up quite often like 4-5 times a year on ebay.

– Andreas

From a personal standpoint, yours [& my '41] looks severely better as a honey amber aged blond rather than the common sunburst. An Art Deco base would give it just a tad more beauty. Do you have the pickguard for this one?

all leaning towards no unless he takes was less than he is asking... i didnt get to see today because of work. will check out after the blizzard

– powerjet

It'll be interesting to hear back on your impressions of this guitar. I use medium bronze strings on mine as this was the recommended string choice for these archtops, at least when you're no amplifying it via a surface mounted pup. Bad strings, especially with these can really skew your opinion.

From a personal standpoint, yours [& my '41] looks severely better as a honey amber aged blond rather than the common sunburst. An Art Deco base would give it just a tad more beauty. Do you have the pickguard for this one?

– Windsordave

Nope, it came without a pickguard when I bought it. I keep looking for an original bound tortoise guard but no luck so far.

Nope, it came without a pickguard when I bought it. I keep looking for an original bound tortoise guard but no luck so far.

– Andreas

I politely offer that you cease trying to find an old one. A great many if not most have disintegrated by now or warped or shriveled.....you get the picture. Luckily mine didn't although the binding did shrink and come off. The guard did have a bow in it but it wasn't severe. I sent it to Frank and he offered to try and straighten it and then rebind it and it worked. If it broke, he has the same beautiful opaque but very colorful tort material to make a new one. IMO it wouldn't be terribly expensive to have him make you one. Here's what he could do for you.

Mine is this beautiful lady and I believe I got lucky cause it plays great and it sounds great. I remember playing not so good 6014s over the years. I paid U$750 but mine came with that extra cool DeArmond pickup with it.

You can hear it at:

Regarding the guard, I think Windsordave is 100% correct. Looking for an original that will fit is a dead end. Have a repro made.

Mine is this beautiful lady and I believe I got lucky cause it plays great and it sounds great. I remember playing not so good 6014s over the years. I paid U$750 but mine came with that extra cool DeArmond pickup with it.

You can hear it at:

– João Erbetta

Beautiful sound on that guitar!!.....and beautiful rendition of Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. She has a very smoky tone to her voice.

I politely offer that you cease trying to find an old one. A great many if not most have disintegrated by now or warped or shriveled.....you get the picture. Luckily mine didn't although the binding did shrink and come off. The guard did have a bow in it but it wasn't severe. I sent it to Frank and he offered to try and straighten it and then rebind it and it worked. If it broke, he has the same beautiful opaque but very colorful tort material to make a new one. IMO it wouldn't be terribly expensive to have him make you one. Here's what he could do for you.

– Windsordave

That's a beautiful pickguard! I will probably by one from him. Thanks for the suggestion!

Your welcome. The aspect of this particular style of tort that I like, and that Frank also uses, is the 'fire' in it. I'm not a real big fan of the type of tort that's so dark it appears to be almost black, as seems to be the case with the new Duane Gretsch model. This flamboyant tort is also what's on my Synchro as well and looks magnificent! Sure adds to the class of the guitar and would be a waste really on a sunburst model as it wouldn't get the opportunity to stand out like it does on my blond finish.

Register Sign in to join the conversation