Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

The lost art of marquetry

With the passing of my father, I came into the possession of some things his father made. These marquetry trays and panels were made in the 30’s by my grandfather. Unlike the laser cut stuff coming out of Asia today, these were made in a 10x12 cellar in Crete Nebraska by hand on a Delta 24” scroll saw.

I can’t believe how tight the marquetry is.

This serving tray was inspired by a Life Magazine cover.

I have the Delta saw in my shop, as well as a big box of veneers.

That's some superb work! That skill goes far beyond regular carpentry.

Wow! That‘s where your talent in woodworking is coming from.

So it‘s been done by cutting pieces of veneer? How thick are these?

Must be a delicate saw.

Beautiful!

Do you think he cut some pieces on top of each other or just traced out and cut again?

I Love the wood choices, the sky, the water with reflections in it!

Stunning!

Really spectacular! I love the first one but think lady walking dog is my favourite. It looks as though you are viewing her through the misty rain and the lines are superb (as in the curves on the dog and woman)

What a find. This is the wonderful thing about America. All this art and music ...and you only really hear or see a fraction of it.

Thank you for sharing!

"so the wind won't blow it all away...dust American dust"

I think all the veneers are stacked, like a sandwich and cut at the same time. Some of the blades are referred to as “horse hair” blades. You have to feed really slow or you break them.

That's amazing and beautiful. Did you know your grandfather? What an artist. Thank you for letting us see, too.

They're just beautiful, Powdog! You can see where the woodworking talent and artistry came from in your family. Thanks so much for sharing these.

Remarquable and beautiful!

Wow stunning, he must have had the patients of Job.

True artist and great family heirlooms.

Oh yea, he was quite a guy. I was a teenager when he died. He taught me how to do scroll and fretwork on that Delta. How to hone a cylinder, replace piston rings and grind valves. The furniture that came out of that cellar is really quite spectacular. Big pieces....desks, corner cabinets, tables and clocks. All with really cool inlays.

Those are wonderful...

This one is from Baden-Baden, Germany...always on display around here.

Beautiful work! And you posted these on the perfect forum of folks who are generally rabid fans of figured wood and craftsmanship. Any plans for the remaining big box of veneers?

This is impressive. I'm fortunate in my work around pipe organ builders to see high level wood working on a regular basis.

A Black Walnut writing desk that has become my wife’s computer desk.

He liked to cut lathe turnings in half and use them as detail. Impeccable inlay work.

Beautiful! Love the inlay work! Is this desk also something he would have made in the 30's or do you think it is newer than that? What is the drawer construction like? Curious what type of joints he may have used.
As someone said, a true heirloom !

Looks like a locking box joint. This would have been made prior to 1940.

Nice Joint!

– LA_Manny

Reminds me of the punchline, "What's a nice joint like you doing in a girl like this?".

But seriously folks, I have never seen wood joined this way. It's impressive and brilliant.

Register Sign in to join the conversation