Other Players

Eddie Cochran Score (NRD - New Record Day)

Just arrived in the mail today...one of only 10 copies known to exist. 78rpm issue of Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" on the US Liberty label in almost mint condition.

For a record collector like me, and especially a collector of original Eddie Cochran records, this is akin to finding a near mint 1955 White Falcon.

"Summertime Blues" was recorded and released in the summer of 1958 when almost all of the major US record labels had phased out 78rpm records in favor of the more popular 45rpm record (introduced in 1949). Consequently, there were very few 78rpm pressings of "Summertime Blues" released on the original Liberty label.

More were available on the Canadian Liberty label and in the UK on the London American label but an original green US Liberty label 78rpm copy is the rarest of the rare.

Now I gotta work up the courage to put it on my record player

Grail material. Exquisite piece of vinyl.

No scratches? Looks clean. Great score, Greg!

...and on the flip side, the ballad "Love Again" written by Sharon Sheeley.

No scratches? Looks clean. Great score, Greg!

– Suprdave

Zero scratches Dave...super clean labels and only very, very minor groove wear on "Summertime Blues" while the "Love Again" side appears to never have been played.

If I'd found a scratched up version of this record I'd have been delighted, but to snag a near mint copy is as Fred mentioned, finding the grail.

Vinyl?? In this case, since it's a 78, don't you mean "shellac?"

Congrats on a great treasure find, Greg.

Wow! What an astounding find!!

Congratulations and ".....Take Good Care of Her...." (I know -- not an E.C. song but..... it seemed to fit.)

Congrats, not an easy one to find! I also collect Cochran records. My rarest is a mint unplayed copy of Bob Dentons "Thinking about you" with Eddie on guitar. I know the feeling when you finally get the record you have been hunting for years.

a graal. I've seen it on Popsike one or two time. There's also Sittin' in The Balcony on 78 rpm and Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie. Anymore ? except the cochran brothers on EKO ?

this record is also a rarity. The french london lp Eddie Cochran published in 1960. At this time nobody knows who was Eddie in France and the record didn't sold well. The paper used for the cover of this lp is very thin and its absolutely impossible to find a completey mint copy of this one. This copy was sold 610 € in 2015.

a graal. I've seen it on Popsike one or two time. There's also Sittin' in The Balcony on 78 rpm and Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie. Anymore ? except the cochran brothers on EKO ?

– DIDIER D

Yes, I have 78rpm releases of "Sittin' In The Balcony/Dark Lonely Street", "One Kiss/ Mean When I'm Mad" and "Drive-In Show/Am I Blue" (as well as a 78rpm DJ Promo). I got outbid in a recent auction for the "Jeanie Jeanie Jeanie" 78rpm copy that is pictured in your post so I'm searching for another copy.

According to the "Rockin' Records" reference guide there was a 78rpm release for all of Eddie's Liberty singles up to "Summertime Blues". I've never seen a copy, or even a picture, of a 78rpm "Twenty Flight Rock/Cradle Baby" or "Pretty Girl/Teresa" but I'm always looking.

I have 78rpm copies on EKKO of the Cochran Brothers' "Guilty Conscience/Your Tomorrows Never Come" and "Tired and Sleepy/Fool's Paradise" but I'm still looking for a 78 of "Mr. Fiddle/Two Blue Singin' Stars".

Also looking for "Skinny Jim/Half Loved" on Crest on 78rpm.

I may never complete my Cochran record collection...but I'll keep trying

Congrats, not an easy one to find! I also collect Cochran records. My rarest is a mint unplayed copy of Bob Dentons "Thinking about you" with Eddie on guitar. I know the feeling when you finally get the record you have been hunting for years.

– Andreas

That's a great record Andreas. I have a mint copy as well but it took me a long time to find it.

Other than my "Summertime Blues" 78 the rarest Eddie records I have are the picture sleeve version of "One Kiss/Mean When I'm Mad" and his three picture sleeve EPs from the "Singin' To My Baby" album.

It's a weird thing being a collector...guitars...records...or whatever, but you're right about the feeling when you finally get a record you've been hunting for.

Plucked up the courage today to play this baby to add to my Eddie Cochran You Tube channel.

Played on a 1959 Grundig Fleetwood stereo console.

Slight surface noise hiss as I'd expect from a 58 year old disc played on a 57 year old stereo, but no scratches, pops or crackles. Beautiful!!

Wow, fantastic Greg .....what a beauty!! I can imagine what a thrill it must be listening to it, a great addition to your Youtube page :)

Thanks, that was cool !

Register Sign in to join the conversation