Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

NGD - Graick 2312-T Vince Ray

Wow Wow Wow!!! The color of the top is to die for. Super nice job!!

– Rhythmisking

Very scary to apply stain to such a lovely flame - it is Crimson Guitars Stunning Stains black, mixed 50/50 and just two coats!

Really nice work! Vince has the retro graphic language down. The contour lines communicate and suggest just the right amount of information and the implied highlights give a sense of volume to the forms through an economy of means. Who is the person honored on the back?

Just found my tombstone design.

Really nice work! Vince has the retro graphic language down. The contour lines communicate and suggest just the right amount of information and the implied highlights give a sense of volume to the forms through an economy of means. Who is the person honored on the back?

– Gregory_Pecarry

Apologies, didn't see this - the person on the back is me, with my wife below :)

Just seeing this thread - sure wish it had pics. Photobucket's greedleak has emptied so much of the internet of its content.

I get that letting the entire internet link to their free-photo-hosting server would kill'em with fatal wounds in both bandwidth and storage...but wasn't it predictable? I think they should have thought that business model through from the git-go, because the way they handled it hasn't won them any friends.

I had no idea so many people used PB and linked to it (I've always paid for my own hosting) - so was barely aware of Pbucket's presence. But now I see their black and blue greed missing-photo icons everywhere, so I sure know'em now.

Great advertising for'em! Bet I sign up right away!

Anyway. I'd love to see this guitar. BBos have a long history of cool (and infamous) graphic treatments in these parts. Raise your hand if you remember the brilliant Chonny mockups. Then there was Paperair's sweet 57-Chevy turquoise custom, and Fuller Guitars' run of white-n-gold, and my Persian Sand over Spaceship Grey. I don't know if pics ever made the GDP, but Cam Bellamy had a fabulous fully hollow-bodied CS BBo with 3 Dynasonics and an arty graphic treatment.

From the context of this thread, I can tell this guitar is another in that lineage; I just can't see it...

Just seeing this thread - sure wish it had pics. Photobucket's greedleak has emptied so much of the internet of its content.

I get that letting the entire internet link to their free-photo-hosting server would kill'em with fatal wounds in both bandwidth and storage...but wasn't it predictable? I think they should have thought that business model through from the git-go, because the way they handled it hasn't won them any friends.

I had no idea so many people used PB and linked to it (I've always paid for my own hosting) - so was barely aware of Pbucket's presence. But now I see their black and blue greed missing-photo icons everywhere, so I sure know'em now.

Great advertising for'em! Bet I sign up right away!

Anyway. I'd love to see this guitar. BBos have a long history of cool (and infamous) graphic treatments in these parts. Raise your hand if you remember the brilliant Chonny mockups. Then there was Paperair's sweet 57-Chevy turquoise custom, and Fuller Guitars' run of white-n-gold, and my Persian Sand over Spaceship Grey. I don't know if pics ever made the GDP, but Cam Bellamy had a fabulous fully hollow-bodied CS BBo with 3 Dynasonics and an arty graphic treatment.

From the context of this thread, I can tell this guitar is another in that lineage; I just can't see it...

– Proteus

I will get some photos back onto the thread; should have realised they were now missing! Doh

Raise your hand if you remember the brilliant Chonny mockups.

For those who don't remember:

ChonnyCaster

ChonnyCaster1

ChonnyCaster2

ChonnyCaster4

ChonnyCaster3

I'm not sure if this was one of Cam's or not, but it's a beauty:

billy-bo2

Right, I have stuck the original images on Flickr here

And the man himself handing it over...

This is great Vince stuff. Visual heroin.

Wow, that's a really cool Bo! Love those one-off Billy Bo's guys!

Thanks for posting the pics! Beautiful instrument, great work from Vince (duh!) and a great color choice.

While heavy figuring and flame always have their own obvious kinda Pavlovian ooh-shiny! appeal, I think PRS and their derivatives kinda wore me out with its over-exaggeration, turned it cartoonish. When I see flame on a Gretsch, I kinda prefer it be more subtle so it doesn't fight with all the other details of visual interest a Gretsch usually has going on anyway.

I find from this thread, though, that flame seems always to look good on a B-Bo - which surprises me. I've generally thought that the retro automotive cues in the guitar's shape dictated automotive and/or metallic colors. Maybe emphasizing the wood provides the same contrapuntal note I sense when I see wood-bodied custom cars from the 20s and 30s.

Anyway, sure works here!

Which TV pickups, and which Tru-Arc?

Thanks for posting the pics! Beautiful instrument, great work from Vince (duh!) and a great color choice.

While heavy figuring and flame always have their own obvious kinda Pavlovian ooh-shiny! appeal, I think PRS and their derivatives kinda wore me out with its over-exaggeration, turned it cartoonish. When I see flame on a Gretsch, I kinda prefer it be more subtle so it doesn't fight with all the other details of visual interest a Gretsch usually has going on anyway.

I find from this thread, though, that flame seems always to look good on a B-Bo - which surprises me. I've generally thought that the retro automotive cues in the guitar's shape dictated automotive and/or metallic colors. Maybe emphasizing the wood provides the same contrapuntal note I sense when I see wood-bodied custom cars from the 20s and 30s.

Anyway, sure works here!

Which TV pickups, and which Tru-Arc?

– Proteus

I spoke to TVJ and he recommended T’Armond at the neck, and a Power’tron Plus at the bridge, both in DeArmond mounts - hence what you see. He also designed the wiring; the PT+ is tapped.

The bridge is a TruArc brass serpentune - the ring and sustain are amazing :)

The neck gives 'that' Grestch twang, whilst the PT+ gives real growl, not thinned out too much by the split.

Needless to say, I love it :)

Great choices. I'm a great fan of singles at the neck and duals at the bridge. Don't think I'd tap anything lighter than a Ptron Plus either - would sound too thin.

I'd love to hear it. Glad you like the bridge!

I have Ptrons and either aluminum or glass on my BBo.

I'm swinging for some kinda Bo myself soon. To be honest, I think coming up with a workable, artistic and damn COOL guitar shape is one hell of a challenge. And Bo Diddley got it 100% right.

Plus it still makes a great creative platform for experiments, as shown by my pal in Bexhill.

I'm lusting after a dyno equipped Bo with bigsby, happy with the red and black devil colour scheme

would be swell to have a Vince Ray painted gretsch!! I sure like his pedal designs!:)

I'm swinging for some kinda Bo myself soon. To be honest, I think coming up with a workable, artistic and damn COOL guitar shape is one hell of a challenge. And Bo Diddley got it 100% right.

Plus it still makes a great creative platform for experiments, as shown by my pal in Bexhill.

I'm lusting after a dyno equipped Bo with bigsby, happy with the red and black devil colour scheme

– Vince_Ray

Good to see you pass by Vince Still loving the BB - I actually try not to play it too much, in case I wear off the paint!

I'll get back over to Hastings to see you play soon, again. Let me know via Facebook or through Chris, or drop me an email :)

Cheers, Nick

Great choices. I'm a great fan of singles at the neck and duals at the bridge. Don't think I'd tap anything lighter than a Ptron Plus either - would sound too thin.

I'd love to hear it. Glad you like the bridge!

I have Ptrons and either aluminum or glass on my BBo.

– Proteus

Do you hear much of a difference swapping bridges? I like the idea of the glass but only cos they look pretty lol. I wanted a black, red and gold scheme so glass was out....

Significant difference between materials, yes. Glass is fat and chunky, great string definition - not the sustainiest material.

Aluminum - with PowerTrons on a solibody - give it a bit more air, and lend a singing quality to overdriven leads.

Stainless: punch, sustain, and even reproduction across all registers. Brass: bold, brash, ballsy, Grrretsch grrrritschy.

thanks for the info. I may look into swapping around one day :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation