Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

Metal Fab Round 2- finished-ish

Pretty cool. Those "kerfs" look like alot of cutting work.

Wow - that looks great! Are you putting a wiring access panel on the back? Looks like it might be a bit challenging to install electronics around the braces. Shielding the electronics shouldn't be a problem, that's for sure!

Very Cool. I'd love to see the neck pocket and how it's all joined.

Haven’t been working on this much because I’ve had other stuff come up. Mostly I’ve been working on replacing the tired stromberg carb on my Buick with a holley that I’m gonna rebuild today. I made a cool spacer out of aluminum for it. Then the other day I made a stainless hood visor for one of my dads semi truck. But yesterday I got to sanding down welds. Took my time this time and it’s going better

Very Cool. I'd love to see the neck pocket and how it's all joined.

– Suprdave

Here is a close up of it. It’s basically two thin plates welded at an angle and then “wrapped” in sheet metal

Getting there. The edges didn’t come out as nice as I would’ve wanted but I’m going to try to make them nicer on the next build

Done-ish. I finished up the metal work and did a quick rattle can scallop job on it before assembly. It sounds pretty nice but it’s heavier than I would’ve thought. The scale says 9lbs but it feels like more. Overall I like it but I know I can do better as far as metal work and making it lighter. We’ll see when round 3 comes along!

She’s also a bit of a hunchback

That looks great! How do you find the electric tone - much different than a wood body?

Nice fabricating...why are doing this?

Nice fabricating...why are doing this?

– Billy Zoom

Thanks. I’m doing this mainly because I’ve always wanted to learn metal forming and I thought some guitars are good practice before I attempt to make something like a roadster body. I’d love to make a bubble top hot rod later on but some stars have to align first!

At the moment I’m unemployed so what better thing to do than learn a new skill instead of playing video games all day or something like that

The electric tone sounds very clear and it has a nice bite. One thing I noticed is that it has a more echo-y tone (unplugged) when it’s not right up against my body.

I would love to play this! If possible you should post some videos so we can hear it. I have a feeling if they sound really good and play good you may be able to sell a few to us here if the price was reasonable. Who knows? Maybe you won't have to look for another job.

Thanks. I’m doing this mainly because I’ve always wanted to learn metal forming and I thought some guitars are good practice before I attempt to make something like a roadster body. I’d love to make a bubble top hot rod later on but some stars have to align first!

At the moment I’m unemployed so what better thing to do than learn a new skill instead of playing video games all day or something like that

The electric tone sounds very clear and it has a nice bite. One thing I noticed is that it has a more echo-y tone (unplugged) when it’s not right up against my body.

– Rattlecat

Bring it along to the upcoming Gretsch Jam in July, Im sure it will get plenty of interest and attention.

Great job,looks like alot of little work of fine tuning to get it playing right.

Speaking of Bubble Tops, I own a 1960 Pontiac Ventura,,Bubble Top.

Have you thought about neck-through designs?

I love it! So cool and wish I could do something like this.

Neck thru would be difficult because wood near melting metal is bound to be problematic. Maybe I can do one that slides into place from the neck pocket and held them n from the back with countersunk screws... just thinking out loud here.

There definitely has to be some improvements for the next one both in overall construction and weight. This isn’t a bad start but I want to make a better body.

I’ll see if I can make a video soon. It’s decently playable. I wasn’t expecting much from the neck due to the price but it’s surprisingly nice. There are a couple of mildly sharp fret ends but they can be filed easily

Bring it along to the upcoming Gretsch Jam in July, Im sure it will get plenty of interest and attention.

Great job,looks like alot of little work of fine tuning to get it playing right.

Speaking of Bubble Tops, I own a 1960 Pontiac Ventura,,Bubble Top.

– LA_Manny

Sure I’d like to show it off but hopefully I can make another to have a nice comparison.

I love those late 50s early 60s bubble top space rockets! Perfect for cruising in style! I don’t know why but i got the idea to build a car body from scratch... not as big as your Pontiac.... something closer to a model a in size. Definitely mid-century futuristic! Who knows tho I get very imaginative sometimes

This being only your second, I can't tell you how excited many of us will be (certainly I will, but judging from the comments) to see the next efforts. This really seems already a pretty high level instrument.

Register Sign in to join the conversation