Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

Metal Fab Round 2- finished-ish


I appreciate all the advice given for the double cut les Paul I was making but there were too many small mistakes and I would rather start fresh. It wasnt just the edges it was also a little warped

But I’m back at it this time making a 335 with both top and back arched!

The point of this project was metal shaping not mistake fixing anyway... who knows I might fix that one later but for now I’m back at hammering!


I was thinking that “Metal Fab” was a heavy metal band playing Beatles. This is cool too.


Progress on this one...

I’ve made the top- I had to remake it because the one pictured above is 24 gauge which turns out is way too flimsy... I remade one out of 22 gauge which has plenty of strength

I also made the sides and clamped them to the top


I’m also going a step further on this one than the Les Paul... even tho the Les Paul had a flat back the tension of the arched top bent the back slightly concave.... so to avoid that on this one I made bracing out of the same 22 gauge.

Here is the start I f the bracing


I then made it even stronger and lighter by drilling holes and putting dimples in the holes. Note that one strip has bigger holes than the other... that was because I found the smaller holes to dimple better but I had already made the large hole strip.

I still need to arch the back and make the neck pocket and then put it all together


Progress pics

This one shows a good contrast between a started panel and one hammered to shape


I clamped the top with the sides to some 2x4s to get the bracing and sides flat


The bracing on but not finished


Because I also put some bracing across... maybe call it ladder bracing?


Great update RC. Your bracing looks like aircraft construction with the perforations.


Really enjoying this thread and looking forward to more updates!


Great update RC. Your bracing looks like aircraft construction with the perforations.

– JW

Ha! Thanks

Even tho nobody’s going to see it I went ahead and added a little flavor to the cross braces by making the outer holes smaller than the center holes. Just because!


I started welding the back on but before I welded the front I put in the bridge anchors.


I also made a small plate to help hold the anchors in place more. I noticed on the other body I was making that the anchors were a little loose.


And here is the same shot I took of the other one at this point of the build


So then I decided that to see if it was working I needed to string it up. I also wanted to make a custom tailpiece so I looked in my scrap pile and here is what I came up with


And with close almost parallel rods


I finished the tailpiece and strung it up.

I gotta say this thing has a BIG sound! It’s very twangy and has some resonator qualities to it. For now I see that I’m going to have to shim the neck because the bridge is at its lowest and the action is a bit high. But overall I’m excited to continue working on this!


Wow you are a man of many talents. Looks like fun.

Register Sign in to join the conversation