Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

Last of the High Noon amps

Building a Supro clone from the last of the parts I accumulated for a run of amps a few years back. Vince Ray designed the control panel. The transformers are from Magnetic Components, who built the original OEM iron for Supro way back when (and have since gone out of business). So it literally is my last authentic “one-off” Supro High Noon amp. 6973 power tubes and three 12AX7s.

So, where would this chassis be best placed in you opinion? Speaker(s), cabs, etc. Speaking as an amp knucklehead....

So, where would this chassis be best placed in you opinion? Speaker(s), cabs, etc. Speaking as an amp knucklehead....

– BigJImSlade

Inside of this.

– BigJImSlade

Barking thru this ‘65 C10Q. No Italian Jensen inside of this amp.

Wow, sharp dressed amp!

– Mel Waldorf

Cause every girl crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed amp.

And I suppose it sounds good?

Guess it depends. I brought a couple versions of this amp to my first NorCal Roundup and the response was “can you make one with less distortion?”.

Chet Atkins would hate it.

LOL - low wattage amps that break up early are FUN!!

When this one gets done I'm interested in what's going on - is it technically a 5w amp?

Nope. It’s a push-pull pair of 6973 power tubes. The B+ is kinda low, so around 12-14 watts is realistic.

Circuit board in.

Great looking build. Love the panel!

Great looking build. Love the panel!

– eCastro

Yea, Vince always hits it outta the park.

So this is a Valco 510-54 (or Gretsch 6156) circuit, soldered down to a turret board. Not point to point like the original. As much as I appreciate the original method this is much easier to work on.

From the south.

With the flap shut.

Next stop, Jersey.

Guess it depends. I brought a couple versions of this amp to my first NorCal Roundup and the response was “can you make one with less distortion?”.

Chet Atkins would hate it.

– Powdog

Obviously I wasn't there because distortion never turns me off.

Register Sign in to join the conversation