Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

Hot rod painting

Warpdrive/Cream City Music is definitely proud of the gear they sell, but at the same time, it's usually pretty good. I've been in there a few times, and got to play some amazing instruments. Their prices are on the high side, but 90% of the time aren't totally unreasonable.

That all said, I know nothing about Synchromatics, so I'm not much help...

I'm sure someone in the know will chime in here.

Looks like a 70's Country Roc neck,but there is a truss rod cover,strange!

Maybe a factory reneck of some sort.

Older Synchro model body... less old western style neck. She's a mutt, and over-priced. Probably plays like a dream! :|

I usually get good deals out of Cream City (I gotta stop off there today - they let me in on a deal on some Breedlove softshell acoustic guitar cases they bought off Breedlove, when they were discontinued, and are selling for waaaaay waaaay less than $100 - I need one for my Seagull 12-string), as long as I ask them what they can do for me price-wise. I saw that Synchro. It looked pretty cool, but being way out of my price range, I didn't even think about asking to play it.

Suprdave wrote:

Damn, that's beautiful!

I agree!

It looks like to mutt to me as well, but it is really cool!

To me it looks like a FrankenGretsch made up from three different models. Incidentally that is the best close-up I've ever seen of the inlay used on the 70's era CountryRoc fretmarkers. To my eye the graphic style looks very similar to the very early 'Pong' era video games - which were made around the same time.

mutt. aint right at all. era's mixed up. western with deco ? one or the other please.

Sean Law wrote: Incidentally that is the best close-up I've ever seen of the inlay used on the 70's era CountryRoc fretmarkers. To my eye the graphic style looks very similar to the very early 'Pong' era video games - which were made around the same time.

No kidding. It looks like the layout was done on somebody's Tandy.

Yeah, I noticed those "early digital" inlays too! Check out the neck joint...

I hear ya on the "digital" looking inlays, riz (maybe the effect is from the pics?). I still really dig it though (but not for the price they are asking)...I think I would go around 1K on it if it played well and had no major issues. I'm not sure where they came up with the BIN price on that one considering that they have no history on it. It's still VERY cool IMO. Maybe Ellen will check it out for us and give us a "pre-game report" on it.

I hear ya on the "digital" looking inlays, riz (maybe the effect is from the pics?). I still really dig it though (but not for the price they are asking)...I think I would go around $1500 on it if it played well and had no major issues. I'm not sure where they came up with the BIN price on that one considering that they have no history on it. It's still VERY cool IMO. Maybe Ellen will check it out for us and give us a "pre-game report" on it.

I think the guitar is a bizarre mixture : - ´50 tweed case - ´60 original Grover tuners - ´70 Country Roc fretboard. Did anyone notice, that the tailpiece is an original ´50 / ´60 cadillac tailpiece ?

The more I look at it, the more I want it...knowing the shop though (great place and super nice folks), I don't see them going down in price too much on this one.

aint right at all. era's mixed up. western with deco ? one or the other please

When Gretsch went under in the late 70s / early 80s a lot of parts came on the market, not just Art Wiggs but many peoplke had stuff. And since the 30s archtops all have horrible necksets / no trussrod I'd consider it very likely that in those days someone renecked a 1930s Synchro with a 1970s neck. As you say, the result is intruiguing guitar, perhaps an excellent player, but the most incorrect combination one could imagine and totally mixes up 4 decades of Gretsch styling. I think I also spot some brand new parts like the bridge, and the whole thing must have been refinned.

Bobby Rivera wrote:

The more I look at it, the more I want it...knowing the shop though (great place and super nice folks), I don't see them going down in price too much on this one.

I took a look at it yesterday, when I stopped to buy a couple of Breedlove acoustic & solidbody electric, softshell cases (you know - the ones that are kind of in-between a hardshell and a gig bag, with their rigid sides and extra thick & padded, soft tops & bottoms). Breedlove sold 'em for a $170, but when they were bought out, and slimmed down their product line, they had all of these leftover cases. Cream City picked up a bunch of them. At $39 a piece, they were a steal, so I got a dreadnaught one for my Seagull 12-string, and a solidbody one for my Dano MOD 7. While I was there, I took a closer look at the mutant Synchro. It looks cool, but it is definitley different, with its (what looks like) Baldwin era neck. IMO, wait. I think that price'll be going down over time, when it doesn't sell.

Register Sign in to join the conversation