Vince Ray's Kustom Korner

5129 with Setzer artwork

Just received my new pick guard from Paul Setzer and it's turned out great! He's a clever chap. We've got a good list of gigs coming up, starting tomorrow with three gigs in one night for Hastings Fat Tuesday! Always a blast, I love this place.

Plus here's the headstock, made a while ago by Paul;

And a wider shot showing more of the junk that I've stuck on the guitar. Never grow up hey? Plus the TVJones T Armonds make this a great guitar.

Very cool.

Pickguard looks great and I love that skull on the headstock.

Looks great. I think that the Dearmond 2000s in my 5125 have a good distinctive sound, but have been tempted to put in TVJ TArmonds. I'm assuming you believe the change was worth it?

Looks great. I think that the Dearmond 2000s in my 5125 have a good distinctive sound, but have been tempted to put in TVJ TArmonds. I'm assuming you believe the change was worth it?

– Baba Joe

I had the TV Jones pups for over a year before I was brave enough to make the change! Sometimes it's obvious that the guitar could be vastly improved by upgrading the pups but I didn't feel that about the Dearmonds. They were mighty fine, but I knew I'd like the TVJones and decided that this would be my main guitar and I wanted everything for it.

So I don't regard it as an 'upgrade'...just something different. I probably do miss the rapier like tone and vibe of the originals a bit. Probably the hardest thing is spending the money...it's a lot of cash to spend on an experiment!

I had the TV Jones pups for over a year before I was brave enough to make the change! Sometimes it's obvious that the guitar could be vastly improved by upgrading the pups but I didn't feel that about the Dearmonds. They were mighty fine, but I knew I'd like the TVJones and decided that this would be my main guitar and I wanted everything for it.

So I don't regard it as an 'upgrade'...just something different. I probably do miss the rapier like tone and vibe of the originals a bit. Probably the hardest thing is spending the money...it's a lot of cash to spend on an experiment!

– Vince_Ray

My first Gretsch has DA2000's. I've tried the Dynasonics but prefer the DA's, especially in the bridge.

Looks fabulous!

I modded my 5129 with Gretsch Dynas, and missed the 2000s enough to go buy a 5124. Now the 5129 is gone, and I really don't miss the Dynas. Might try T-Armonds at some point, but I won't be sacrificing my 2000s to do it.

Nice guitar Vince.

I'd do the same mate, may even hunt down another 512X and KEEP the dearmonds in place. I do have the originals in a draw somewhere so they could become part of a project, definitely worth hanging onto.

Very cool Vince. Makes me wish I still had my 5129. Great guitars.

I'd do the same mate, may even hunt down another 512X and KEEP the dearmonds in place. I do have the originals in a draw somewhere so they could become part of a project, definitely worth hanging onto.

– Vince_Ray

Good idea. I have a set of T Armonds from another guitar that I thought of putting in my 5125. The issue is that I don't have any complaints about the Dearmond 2000s and would not be considering it if I didn't already have the spare T Armonds. I have time to think about it and have only begun to procrastinate.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Great job one this one.

It seems people are more ready to replace Gretsch Dynasonics with T'Armonds than replacing Dearmond 2000's with T'Armonds. I thought Dearmond 2000's were constructed more like P90's.

From what I often read it seems people like the Dearmond 2000's better than Gretsch Dynasonics but T'Armonds are TV Jones' version of a Gretsch Dynasonic.

first off vr..thats a rat fink of a 5129!! kool

it was the dearmond 2k's that were built like p90's..slug polepieces and magnets below bobbin...the 2000's were more old school dynasonic style..both pups were designed by (emg founder & later fender r&d) pup genius (rip) bill turner..during the fmic turn of the century dearmond guitar era...(which now seems a long way off!!..hah)

cheers

Good idea. I have a set of T Armonds from another guitar that I thought of putting in my 5125. The issue is that I don't have any complaints about the Dearmond 2000s and would not be considering it if I didn't already have the spare T Armonds. I have time to think about it and have only begun to procrastinate.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Great job one this one.

– Baba Joe

Exactly the same situation as I was in. I meant to record something using the 2000's and then change the pups and record the same thing with the same settings just to help make my mind up. Seemed liek a lot of bother though so I thought what the heck and swopped them anyways. I guess the conclusion is that you can always swop them back.

I think the thing that tipped the decision for me was the fact that I play with some distortion at times and I knew the TVJones would cope with that. I like things a little on the edge with breakup and am constantly trying to avoid anything shrill or harsh on the top strings. I knew the TV's would be ok with that

Register Sign in to join the conversation