Miscellaneous Rumbles

Zuma - Gone 11 Years Today

11 Years ago was the the worst day in my life. My brother Scott died tragically. Those of you who knew him knew what a unique person he was. He was a talented artist , musician , and funnier than shit! It's because of him I'm the musician I am today. I miss him everyday.

Most of us that have been here long enough miss him as well, Mitch.

Very sad.

That was such a shock (and another shock that it's been 11 years already.) Wish he was still with us.

So sorry, Mitch. Sorry I never knew him.

I can’t believe it’s been 11 years. Scott was a huge part of this forum and he will always be here in our memories.

I'm very saddened by your loss, losing a brother is an unfathomable thing. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Mitch, Scott lives on through you. Glad you have beaten back the Grim Reaper and are still with us.

I recall everyone’s avatar changing to Zuma’s. A great loss to all who knew him or read his posts.

So sorry to hear. I'm at the age where many of the parents of my friends are passing away. Unfortunately, there was also the passing of one my friend's children. But no siblings yet. I can't even fathom losing one of mine.

Scott was a gem here. He is much missed.

Hard to believe 11 years gone by.

Your brother was smart, funny, entertaining, witty, a smartazz (without being ugly or cruel) and one of the most memorable folks to ever grace this forum. Life is a strange journey and nothing more, Mitch.

Your brother was smart, funny, entertaining, witty, a smartazz (without being ugly or cruel) and one of the most memorable folks to ever grace this forum. Life is a strange journey and nothing more, Mitch.

– Jim Austin

Thanks Jim. I couldn't have said it any better.

Wow ! has it been that long now ? the memory of that day is still fresh in my mind. Mitch, Scott would be proud of you and your many accomplishments.

Scott and I kinda circled each other warily in my early days on the forum, as we were both verbal, likely to have opinions, and inclined toward smartassery and (hopefully) wit. I'm sure he thought I didn't have enough seniority in Gretschdom to even open my mouth. That much was true - but in my first couple of years here, though I was surely as wordy as I am now about other stuff, I asked a lot of question and did way more listening and learning about the brand from the elders than I did Gretsch-talking.

I never had anything but respect for Scott, and enjoyed his contributions even when I accidentally got crossways in his path. We eventually came to have a warm and cordial mutual relationship.

That Saturday was a devastating blow, and cast a shadow over the first Nashville Roundup, where many of us were when we got the word. It was still a rich weekend, and bedrock in founding a tradition that means a lot to many of us; Scott would have loved the event. Those of us at the Roundup had each other to help process the news, and that meant something. His passing then created a texture and depth amidst our camaraderie that paradoxically both suggested the comparative triviality of the event - and etched an renewed awareness of our mortality, and thus the value of friendship and the time we spend together, interweaving our passions and our paths.

Days later or years later, he left a hole here and in the hearts of those who had the pleasure of virtually traveling with him for awhile. I think of Scott often: the enduring mystery of the lone wolf, accompanied by the ever-present White Falcon which had been his years-long pursuit, then his companion. That spirit lives on.

Scott and I kinda circled each other warily in my early days on the forum, as we were both verbal, likely to have opinions, and inclined toward smartassery and (hopefully) wit. I'm sure he thought I didn't have enough seniority in Gretschdom to even open my mouth. That much was true - but in my first couple of years here, though I was surely as wordy as I am now about other stuff, I asked a lot of question and did way more listening and learning about the brand from the elders than I did Gretsch-talking.

I never had anything but respect for Scott, and enjoyed his contributions even when I accidentally got crossways in his path. We eventually came to have a warm and cordial mutual relationship.

That Saturday was a devastating blow, and cast a shadow over the first Nashville Roundup, where many of us were when we got the word. It was still a rich weekend, and bedrock in founding a tradition that means a lot to many of us; Scott would have loved the event. Those of us at the Roundup had each other to help process the news, and that meant something. His passing then created a texture and depth amidst our camaraderie that paradoxically both suggested the comparative triviality of the event - and etched an renewed awareness of our mortality, and thus the value of friendship and the time we spend together, interweaving our passions and our paths.

Days later or years later, he left a hole here and in the hearts of those who had the pleasure of virtually traveling with him for awhile. I think of Scott often: the enduring mystery of the lone wolf, accompanied by the ever-present White Falcon which had been his years-long pursuit, then his companion. That spirit lives on.

– Proteus

Thanks Prot. That meant a lot to me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation