Miscellaneous Rumbles

Your Gear is Better Than You Are …

Shhhhhhh, lets keep it quiet guys, my wife thinks I paid about a couple a hundred bucks for all my guitars and amps.

– LA_Manny

Just hope she doesn't sell them for that amount.

I agree with BIlly on the amp thing. Think it makes a bigger difference than the guitar and for some reason I’ve found my old amps sound better than the equiv reissues. I’m sure the boutique amps are great but I have never really got to play any ...

Lot's of high priced boutique amps on the local craigslist!

As most of my guitars have needed restoring in some way when I got them, and lately I've been building my own amps from scavenged parts, I'm probably pretty well on par with my gear. However people tell us we all sound pretty nice together.

The only one I'm trying to impress with my gear, is me. I feel very lucky to have the gear that I do, as should you, Brian. That Jet You won in Nashville is beyond compare to many guitars out there. If that had landed in my lap,I'd likely have less gear because that guitar,on it's own is very special. You're a lucky guy, for sure. I remember how excited all of us at the Roundup were to see you win that.

We are in the process, as a band, of cutting another album. We did some live rough cuts the other night. like Sammy says above, I was happy to have a different palette of colors in my arsenal. The Falcon will sound great on some songs but I want to use the G5191BK on others and I've got my Double cut Jet tuned to drop D for others. After listening to some of our rough cuts, I feel like I made the right decision in gear. Like Curt..."no regerts" I'm not waiting for the lights to get turned off because I spent too much on gear and I feel like I worked hard enough and earned it. Sure, I could probably cut a new album with my BST and Squier Tele and an SS amp but I'm glad that I don't have too.

Just think about the guys at Fender/Gretsch, at your local or online music store etc.... What would happen if we only bought gear up to our playing level? Mr Joe C. would be out of a job, that's what! And nobody wants that, right? Right?

I was hoping it was a secret, but a lot of my gear figured it out within a week of purchase.

...------

I am the dictator.... the moment my gear thinks it’s better than me I will end it’s existence!

Quite some gear you must have if it can actually "play" itself. All that my gear does is sit there, stare at me, and say nothing...nothing at all. The silence is starting to get to me. I mean...it is really, really rude, don't-cha think? All that talent, and nothing but silence....silence....The Sounds of Silence....Silence Is Golden.

In Soviet Russia, you don't play gear, gear plays you!

Hey Toddfan, just turn the amp on. It'll squeal and holler till you touch it. (winky)

I mainly enjoy my gear when I just look at it. The sound is mutilated when I try use it for making music.

I’m feeling much the same after having a listen to the rough cuts we recorded for our next album, Geoff.

I’m well entrenched into senior citizenry at this point and with each passing day realize that my dream of becoming an aging rock star is fast fading away. It doesn’t stop me from enjoying what I have - both Pro-Lines and Electromatics and others. Make the most of what you have. I probably have too much but have passed on the GAS on other ones. No regerts.

I've discovered that a new guitar helps me play better. It's probably all subjective, with a lot of wishful thinking, but if it makes me feel better, then, I'm fine with it.

That's funny, me too.

But perhaps it's only partially wishful thinking. I've always hoped that by buying new (and very often, more expensive) guitar meant I was leaving the flaws inherent in the older (and less expensive) one behind and thus my new axe allowed my creativity to shine just a little more.

After all, wasn't that why I bought it in the first place? I mean, after all... Oh look, a green one!

The thing I keep discovering is that when you get all excited about a new guitar and you learn all sorts of nuanced, cool new stuff that you think is peculiar to that instrument... suddenly all of your guitars can do it, or at least get close. Anything that makes you practice more and pay closer attention makes you better!

Man I am the POSTER CHILD for this! Here are some that I own:

Playing better guitars made me better. After "splurging" for 6 new electrics and a new acoustic the past 9 years, the tone, wider or thicker neck profiles helped my technique. Somedays I even play "lights out" and am quite satisfied. This makes me happy and coming back for more. The result is my game is upped at a decent pace.

None of us will "master" the guitar the same way no one will ever master golf.....Billy Zoom, Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, Jack Nicklaus. All pros and at the top of the game. I think the question is can one enjoy it more? I know I can and with more playing I will.

I may not be able to golf like Hendrix, but

Yeah sorry about this one. This post was a consequence of watching the full video of my last performance with a band. I think I nailed 50% of my parts, to include some challenging lead solos. But he other 50% made me cringe when I listened to it. We were just an opening act, but whenever people pay money to see live music, you want to play "perfectly". I also hate missing notes for my band mates' sake when I know they are bringing everything they got to the table.

I’m sure you did fine. Think of it this way, 25% of the people were listening and 5% could tell you made mistakes.

I’m well entrenched into senior citizenry at this point and with each passing day realize that my dream of becoming an aging rock star is fast fading away. It doesn’t stop me from enjoying what I have - both Pro-Lines and Electromatics and others. Make the most of what you have. I probably have too much but have passed on the GAS on other ones. No regerts.

– Baba Joe

I hear you brother and second that emotion. I have also passed on much GAS, no regerts here either!

Register Sign in to join the conversation