Miscellaneous Rumbles

Your evening smile.

65 Years Ago For You History Buffs!

A little old lady from Wisconsin had worked in and around her family dairy farms since she was old enough to walk, with hours of hard work and little compensation.

When canned Carnation Milk became available in grocery stores in the 1940s, she read an advertisement offering $5,000 for the best slogan.

The producers wanted a rhyme beginning with 'Carnation Milk is best of all.'

She thought to herself, I know everything there is to know about milk and dairy farms. I can do this! She sent in her entry, and several weeks later, a black car pulled up in front of her house.

A large man got out, knocked on her door and said, "Ma'am,....The president of Carnation milk absolutely LOVED your entry....So much, in fact, that we are here to award you $1,000 even though we will not be able to use it for our advertisements!"

He did, however, have one printed up to hang on his office wall.

(Here it is:)

True or not it's very cute which is why I put the story here.

Sure.

But the post was pitched at history buffs...and no matter how trivial, I get as peeved by bad history being passed around as you do by hand-catchers.

Turns out the product has been marketed since 1899, so it's been available in stores since long before the '40s.

There was no slogan contest 65 years ago (in 1953) - or ever, for that matter.

Most versions of the story have the "little old lady" being from North Carolina - which at least connects obliquely to the actual history, in that the creator of Carnation canned milk was born in NC. (Wisconsin sounds dairier, I know. Have some cheese.)

The earliest published reference to the funny quatrain is from 1900.

The real history is better than the joke.

Well we differ on the what the point of the story is, combined with the poem/jingle, or aimed at. Regardless of your thinking it's aimed at history buffs, I believe it's just a funny jingle -varied over the years - that relates to a product everyone knows about.

I could've just published the photo with the jingle but I just passed it along just as it crossed my desk. Sorry if it offended your or anyone elses sensibilities. It certainly wasn't my intention to try and re-write history, as a member here did a couple years back by claiming Winston Churchill was an American citizen. I posted it here to bring a smile to folks' faces.

Neither do I consider the jingle to be profane. Crude to some perhaps, but not in any legal terms profane, which in certain public instances can be considered an offense.

"....connects obliquely to the actual history, in that the creator of Carnation canned milk was born in NC." According to the Snopes article, the creator and founder of the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company in 1899 was a grocer from - not necessarily born which isn't really germane to the discussion - Kent, Washington, no referencing NC.

While I'm as fastidious to accuracy regarding history as you Tim, I fail to make any connection or similarity to the urban legend nature, as posted by me (again my apologies, of the descriptions accompanying the photo with the jingle, with my dislike of the Gretsch's early attempts at producing guitars with a cutaway. My luthier called it a "hand-catcher" which is a good name for it as that's what it accomplishes. I called it a design flaw which is a true description. Had it been accepted as to how a cutaway should be designed, guitars would have this stupid feature to this day; however, other Gretsch models, the electrics showing up around the ~ mid '50's as well as Gibson's & Fenders, didn't accept this as the design model and there hasn't been one since. This is a fact of history not just my opinion so when I made comments on this design flaw, I didn't give an urban legend flavor to my thoughts, just laid out the scenario as it happened, accurately.

Well we differ on the what the point of the story is, combined with the poem/jingle, or aimed at. Regardless of your thinking it's aimed at history buffs, I believe it's just a funny jingle -varied over the years - that relates to a product everyone knows about.

I could've just published the photo with the jingle but I just passed it along just as it crossed my desk. Sorry if it offended your or anyone elses sensibilities. It certainly wasn't my intention to try and re-write history, as a member here did a couple years back by claiming Winston Churchill was an American citizen. I posted it here to bring a smile to folks' faces.

Neither do I consider the jingle to be profane. Crude to some perhaps, but not in any legal terms profane, which in certain public instances can be considered an offense.

"....connects obliquely to the actual history, in that the creator of Carnation canned milk was born in NC." According to the Snopes article, the creator and founder of the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company in 1899 was a grocer from - not necessarily born which isn't really germane to the discussion - Kent, Washington, no referencing NC.

While I'm as fastidious to accuracy regarding history as you Tim, I fail to make any connection or similarity to the urban legend nature, as posted by me (again my apologies, of the descriptions accompanying the photo with the jingle, with my dislike of the Gretsch's early attempts at producing guitars with a cutaway. My luthier called it a "hand-catcher" which is a good name for it as that's what it accomplishes. I called it a design flaw which is a true description. Had it been accepted as to how a cutaway should be designed, guitars would have this stupid feature to this day; however, other Gretsch models, the electrics showing up around the ~ mid '50's as well as Gibson's & Fenders, didn't accept this as the design model and there hasn't been one since. This is a fact of history not just my opinion so when I made comments on this design flaw, I didn't give an urban legend flavor to my thoughts, just laid out the scenario as it happened, accurately.

– Windsordave

Didn't offend me in the least! After reading the caption, and getting up off the floor! I was able to get a mind picture of my favorite coffee shop in Juneau Alaska in the mid 50s to mid 60s, Percy's café, they had a can of Carnation on every table and counter. Haven't used the stuff for years. I would just like to say "Thank You" for digging up my old memories!

Sure.

But the post was pitched at history buffs...and no matter how trivial, I get as peeved by bad history being passed around as you do by hand-catchers.

Turns out the product has been marketed since 1899, so it's been available in stores since long before the '40s.

There was no slogan contest 65 years ago (in 1953) - or ever, for that matter.

Most versions of the story have the "little old lady" being from North Carolina - which at least connects obliquely to the actual history, in that the creator of Carnation canned milk was born in NC. (Wisconsin sounds dairier, I know. Have some cheese.)

The earliest published reference to the funny quatrain is from 1900.

The real history is better than the joke.

– Proteus

Hand-catchers? Wuzzat?

No, I totally get it, Tim. I trust Snopes. I took it as a "what if" kinda story.

The story was funny, either way. Hell, my wife even laughed.

Regardless of your thinking it's aimed at history buffs,

But the first words in the post are “65 Years Ago For You History Buffs.” I suppose that’s why I thought you were aiming it at history buffs.

And there’s no attribution. No way to know what’s your words and what’s pasted verbatim from elsewhere. I have no way of knowing who’s doing the aiming. Now I know you were just passing along an anonymous urban legend. OK.

not necessarily born which isn't really germane to the discussion - Kent, Washington, no referencing NC.

The Wikipedia article on Carnation Milk mentions the NC birthplace. My teeny tiny little observation there was that versions of the joke which place the lil ol’ lady in NC have at least a tenuous connection to some historical fact from Carnation history.

I fail to make any connection or similarity to the urban legend nature, as posted by me (again my apologies, of the descriptions accompanying the photo with the jingle, with my dislike of the Gretsch's early attempts at producing guitars with a cutaway.

There’s no connection between an urban legend presented as historical fact and your disdain for early Gretsch cutaway construction. There IS a connection between my fastidious and cranky interest in setting the record straight about an urban legend that few care about and your similar fastidious crankiness about a small historical detail of guitar construction that, similarly, few care about.

I’m poking fun at both of us for the predictable way in which we can be so easily goaded to mount up and ride our respective hobby horses into battles long ago rendered pointless, and which no one else much cares about.

It’s a funny enough quatrain, as its periodic repetition since 1900 attests. Ignore my creaking. Canned milk all around, here here.

Snopes will forever be the "embellishments" killer.

It sucks the fun out of storytelling(for me) when everybody is fact checking your every word.

Imagine a world where the Jersey Devil, Bruce Springsteen as a great vocalist, Campbell's Soup profane Jingles, and Jack Nicholson's high school parties with Danny DeVito existed with fact checkers.

Lore would be reduced to an almost non-existent factor.

This is true about everyone from Jersey...we all know a guy that knows a guy that knows Springsteen...and we all got a Springsteen story.

I have a few 2nd person stories myself.

It appears to be a slow day on the GDP! I know that Windsordave was just passing along a cute little meme, and took it as such.

I found it to be entertaining. No harm no foul. I'm sure Tim meant no disrespect but I understand why he snoped it.

Whether this ad is real, not or accurate, I wonder if snopes is. Probably not...

Have a great one Gretsch dudes. I actually have a sudden craving for my Les Paul Standard!

...------

Whether this ad is real, not or accurate, I wonder if snopes is. Probably not...

Actually, Snopes is operated by the CIA!.......... according to the latest rumors!

Actually, Snopes is operated by the CIA!.......... according to the latest rumors!

– Wade H

What does Snopes have to say about that?

Regardless of your thinking it's aimed at history buffs,

But the first words in the post are “65 Years Ago For You History Buffs.” I suppose that’s why I thought you were aiming it at history buffs.

And there’s no attribution. No way to know what’s your words and what’s pasted verbatim from elsewhere. I have no way of knowing who’s doing the aiming. Now I know you were just passing along an anonymous urban legend. OK.

not necessarily born which isn't really germane to the discussion - Kent, Washington, no referencing NC.

The Wikipedia article on Carnation Milk mentions the NC birthplace. My teeny tiny little observation there was that versions of the joke which place the lil ol’ lady in NC have at least a tenuous connection to some historical fact from Carnation history.

I fail to make any connection or similarity to the urban legend nature, as posted by me (again my apologies, of the descriptions accompanying the photo with the jingle, with my dislike of the Gretsch's early attempts at producing guitars with a cutaway.

There’s no connection between an urban legend presented as historical fact and your disdain for early Gretsch cutaway construction. There IS a connection between my fastidious and cranky interest in setting the record straight about an urban legend that few care about and your similar fastidious crankiness about a small historical detail of guitar construction that, similarly, few care about.

I’m poking fun at both of us for the predictable way in which we can be so easily goaded to mount up and ride our respective hobby horses into battles long ago rendered pointless, and which no one else much cares about.

It’s a funny enough quatrain, as its periodic repetition since 1900 attests. Ignore my creaking. Canned milk all around, here here.

– Proteus

No Prob Tim. We're good. Moving forward, I'll make sure I'm clear.

That takes all the fun out of it right there.

Also...Word of the Day is quatrain.

Register Sign in to join the conversation