Miscellaneous Rumbles

Your custom shop guitar

So here's a thread we do every so often but it's always entertaining. Since it's been awhile, let's -- as the Kinks said -- Do It Again.

So.... if you had the scratch, what would your Custom Shop guitar be? It's all imaginary, so you can do whatever you want. There are bonus points for pictures, though.

Mine is pretty simple. I've given up on my dreams of a semi-hollow Corvette and now just want a well-chambered pearl topped Jet with Dynas and a small 50-style headstock -- no Penguination needed. Ideally, I'd go for more of a black pearl than the usual blue pearl like on the TL Jets. Load up on the nice hardware though. Gretsch has been really doing good on that front lately. And graft the DE neck on. Those things have the nicest necks. Thumbnail markers.

yeah. That'd be my pick.

I want Bob's (Ric12string) pinkish/purplish jet.

My custom shop dream would be my 6123 re made with big frets. I'm really easy, I love the feel of that guitar but I don't like playing it in a live situation anymore. Its getting fragile, it is getting old and I get worried about it. Or next would be a Jet single cut, nicely chambered, purple sparkle to match my brothers old gretsch drum set. Dual super trons for pickups and silver hardware. And perhaps a matching head stock done in a purple sparkle with binding. Those two guitars would make me happy

Not sure if it’s a Custom Shop and I might add a third pickup and mix them up like Cbell would do, but this could make my day for a quick choice although I generally prefer larger guitars. This was for sale here a while ago and I thought it was great but didn’t buy it.

I had been thinking of a 25.5” 6121 with no controls and a single floating humbucker, but I think I’m going to fill that hole with another headless guitar.

So the two I can think of right now are a 25.5” 6121 with a Ray Butts in the bridge and maybe a special Supertron in the neck. This depends on if I could ever live with a shorter scale, which is something I intend to explore later this year.

And a guitar to match my ‘63 Club, maybe lose the mute.

Turquoise and white, 57 Chevy schemed Spectra sonic or Falcon. with TVJones T-Armonds.

And Yeah I know Gretsch doesn't do the Spectra Sonic anymore but they should bring it back.

Thinline (1.75") Single Annie with Trestle Bracing

• Whatever size/shape neck they have on my 6120LTV

• TVJ Classic in the neck position

• Mud Switch and Master Volume

• V-Cut Bigsby B6 with Duane Eddy Handle

• This color blue, but two-tone with a darker blue back/sides:

A 3 hi lo Tenny w/ huge frets, Monkees red finish and Bigsby

A short scale 6070 bass

a Bikini doubleneck That's right! I say reissue the Bikini!!

And Yeah I know Gretsch doesn't do the Spectra Sonic anymore but they should bring it back.

– Suprdave

Seriously! Although TVJ put out a less deluxe model that is pro-shop prices.

A three pickup (mixed pickups) Tennessee Rose painted yellow top and reddish back and sides with a G-brand and western appointments and probably brushed nickel b6 with Duane or wire handle and all hardware. TruArc. Call it the Yellow Rose.

Edit: The fret markers would be the western inlays but the 12th fret would be a Rose inlay. The pick guard could have a combination of a rose and another western symbol. The TRC would match this. Maybe include the leather sides like on the knotty pine jet.

Full hollow closed-body Jet, rounded more Venetian cutaway instead of usual semi-Florentine, spruce top, TArmonds, aged humpblocks, B11 Bigs, almost-jumbo frets, still thinking about color.

And the last time we did this I got my wish. Can lightning strike twice?

And the last time we did this I got my wish. Can lightning strike twice?

– Proteus

Or even once?

All I want is an Electromatic with DeArmond-esque single coils. Is that too much to ask?

All I want is an Electromatic with DeArmond-esque single coils. Is that too much to ask?

– BUZZMAN

If that'd be my dream guitar I'd just buy my Electromatic of choice and add those pickups. And the 512x series was great. Both options cheap enough.

Actual carved solid spruce top, solid maple back and sides , ivory coloured (aged nitro finish) full sized white falcon, 50s version, pre trestle bracing, just conventional archtop bracing. DeArmonds or hilotrons, anodized bigsby, duane eddy arm. Or the same thing in a blonde, monkey's red, or an authentic/aged cadillac green club

With some light relic-ing to take the extreme shine off of it and give it some character.

Maybe in short scale rather than long

That or a full depth 17" bout mid 60s style Tennessean

A bamboo Anniversary, but 3.5" thick, with a Tru-Arc, Filters, V cut Bigsby, thumbnails, and hotrod wiring.

Also, a radiator coolant green hotrod, without the trestle bracing.

Unfortunately I'd rather see something like this:

• 16" hollow body w/ light trestle bracing (ca. 1960 6120 style)
  • ebony fingerboard with thumbnails
  • bound neck
  • 9.5" fingerboard radius
  • Falcon headstock
  • neck DeArmond/Dynasonic; bridge Filtertron
  • tone control (no mud-switch); otherwise standard electronics
  • Serpentune Aluminium Tru-Arc (for plain 'G')
  • B6 Bigsby (no v-cut)
  • high ratio tuners
  • Schaller strap lock buttons
  • all nickel hardware
  • color: dark natural stain
  • undecided: top wood (maple vs. spruce)

I really like my Duo Jet the way it is but...

I'm going to ask for a fully hollow single cut Jet shape built similar to a Guild Aristocrat made with laminated maple back and sides like a 6120 Jr. with a TV Jones Classic Plus or TV Jones Powertron in the bridge and a low wind 50s style Stratocaster neck pickup. I would like a fixed bridge Gibson style with a tone post underneath the bridge connecting the top and back. I want the the scale length and neck to be exactly like my DSV Duo Jet neck but with an ebony fretboard with block markers and the Jet headstock. I want the finish to be like the Brian Setzer purple hot rod color in nitrocellulose. It could either come with a Bigsby B3 or stop tail. I will use the Bigsby if it's there but I won't really miss it if it's not.

Bamboo yellow/copper mist Streamliner, 1957 style, inlaid headstock veneer, not engraved plastic, two DeArmonds and a Bigsby. Not terribly ambitious, considering I could make that guitar starting with a stock vintage Streamliner for about the price of a Proline after mods.

Bamboo yellow/copper mist Streamliner, 1957 style, inlaid headstock veneer, not engraved plastic, two DeArmonds and a Bigsby. Not terribly ambitious, considering I could make that guitar starting with a stock vintage Streamliner for about the price of a Proline after mods.

– Afire

I actually like the engraved plastic, but apart from that, you described "my custom shop Gretsch".

The jet that matches Paul Pigat's custom cats eye hollowbody. I wish I could find the photo.

This is it. No sense listing what I want on my perfect guitar as this one has it all. Thanks to the extensive work I had done, it basically qualifies as a customized guitar.

There's only one improvement I'd make and it would be to the neck. It has the width I want at 1.80", new low 'n wide vintage style frets that extend over and to the outer edge of the binding, and the neck profile I had my luthier take down from the chunky deep U to a slim C, the full length profile I took her that I took from my '98 Gibson Gent.

What I would prefer is that the neck not flare as much as it does, if at all, from the nut to the body. At the 12th fret it's 2.17", 2.27" at the 14th (which is clear of the heel). My '98 6120, and Gent are 2.08" and even that's too wide for comfortably wrapping my thumb around to fret. I'd like my SC to be no more than .190" at the 14th.

Register Sign in to join the conversation