Miscellaneous Rumbles

You know… Brian Setzer is a strange player…

In the end, there is one style- the one which works for you.

And there is everyone else, right?

I learned the pick tuck from Eddie Van Halen so its a natural thing, playing like setzer not so much as its a very unique approach.. watch this video and see how there just are NO rockabillies able to keep this pace. the chording is amazing, good speakers let you hear the bass note against the chords toward the end. dammit dammit, I quit.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Isn't that guitar f-ing gorgeous, by the way?

He is just crazy good in that vid.

It's almost like you forget how good he is... then bam.

K

What gets me are the extended brilliant-as-the-sun extended improvised solos. Mind-boggling to say the least. He never seems to run out of fresh ideas, and he's been nailing those since the early days of the Stray Cats. Now he's even better.... And the jazz chord voicings/substitutions he does put his stuff over the top. I'm trying like hell lately to learn them and get some into my playing. Here's his rendition of "Route 66" to illustrate ... does anyone know these substitutions? I can only get a few.

That's just depressing.

Dang!

And nope. I don't know them.

Dang!

K

All of the good players are strange.

Isn't that guitar f-ing gorgeous, by the way?

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

It sure is. The new colors may be a bit more removed from the original hot rod theme than the metallic and flat black finishes were, but damn, I think they're much more attractive.

All of the good players are strange.

– Billy Zoom

I got the strange part down to a T.

I learned the pick tuck from Eddie Van Halen so its a natural thing, playing like setzer not so much as its a very unique approach.. watch this video and see how there just are NO rockabillies able to keep this pace. the chording is amazing, good speakers let you hear the bass note against the chords toward the end. dammit dammit, I quit.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

This guitar reminds me of the Smoke Green "Reverse Annies" that used to show up regularly here. A beautiful guitar.

Why is it a "reverse" Annie?

K

It's a Smoke Green Anniversary with the dark shade of green on the top and the lighter shade of green on the back & sides.

What gets me are the extended brilliant-as-the-sun extended improvised solos. Mind-boggling to say the least. He never seems to run out of fresh ideas, and he's been nailing those since the early days of the Stray Cats. Now he's even better.... And the jazz chord voicings/substitutions he does put his stuff over the top. I'm trying like hell lately to learn them and get some into my playing. Here's his rendition of "Route 66" to illustrate ... does anyone know these substitutions? I can only get a few.

– redrocker

The subs are pretty common, nothing crazy. Just study jazz for a while, you'll get it. But how he does it, that's where the magic is! Any jazz player can play those chords, but no one has the feel of Brian. The rock roll mixed with trad swing, licks and sound, that's totally unique. And of course superb technique!

It's kinda sad that most rockabilly players never really explore jazz enough and sound kinda one dimensional. And the jazz cats well they usually look down on rock roll something not worthy, and many sound too academic.

Brian is where jazz and all American swing and roots music found the perfect mix.

" But how he does it, that's where the magic is! Any jazz player can play those chords, but no one has the feel of Brian. The rock roll mixed with trad swing, licks and sound, that's totally unique."

" Brian is where jazz and all American swing and roots music found the perfect mix."

EXACTLY. And precisely why I like his BSO stuff alot better than his Cats stuff (blashemy!!!)

Supposedly only six were made.

– Caliban335

sorry Cal, the one in the video is one of several vids that were promoting the new two tone hot rods.. the one in the vid is a Setzer Hotrod two tone Highland Green. Like my Roman red hotrod, there is a darker stain on the top and back with the milky lighter color on the side bouts and back of neck and headstock.

Tavo, when I wrote "supposedly only six were made" I was referring to the reverse Annies, not the Hot Rods.

There's BSO tracks that i like but those early stray cats tracks have been my go-to for sofa noodling. Still love them after all this time

Plus, watching them at viva last month....that guitar sounded like an orchestra on its own! He's still in a league of his own

Register Sign in to join the conversation