Miscellaneous Rumbles

You know… Brian Setzer is a strange player…

Heh heh. I went back and watched that first, infamous DVD... He's a young guy and just tears it up with ease. But when you look at his picking hand...

Everything is backwards!

He seems to grip the pick really hard. He seems to kind of push through the strings--almost like downstrokes but the upstrokes incidental. His hand seems to be going much slower than the notes you here. Then there is the magic pick disappearing act, which is crazy smooth and still no idea how he does it (pick looks like it's on the side of his first finger, but then it isn't).

And doing all of this, he just blows you away without even trying.

I could probably analyze that tape for the rest of my life and still get new licks out of it.

K

You don't even want to see a close up of my hands,when playing. I don't know why but I've always had the strange habit of twirling my pick between strums. I don't even realize I'm doing it, sometime.

Oh man, that's funny. I saw a little iphone video of myself, and realized I adjust the pick between strums! Had no idea. I think I'm just being sure I don't drop it.

As for Setzer, there are videos where he shows up close how he tucks the pick with his index finger.

I recently saw Canadian artist Terra Lightfoot up close, and saw she squeezes it between 1st and 2nd fingers.

Brian Setzer is Elvis and Scotty Moore in one person. He's a guitar hero but somehow he still seems underrated.

I saw a demo video of his picking hand switching from Pick to fingering and it looks really strange, but very effective. He tucks his pick 'In" while finger pickin', and pulls it out like magic.

I dont get how that guy can be so great at both singing and playing very difficult tunes, He's amazing.

Maybe he's the only one doing it correctly.

– Billy Zoom

I like the way your mind works, you are the godfather of Punk Rock! :)

I have that demo on my hard drive. Watched at least two dozen times... spent hours trying to emulate the transfer back and forth, and eventually went back to my own peculiar hybrid style instead.

sigh

I have that demo on my hard drive. Watched at least two dozen times... spent hours trying to emulate the transfer back and forth, and eventually went back to my own peculiar hybrid style instead.

sigh

– Kevin Frye

Every time I try it, the people around me start putting on safety glasses. I even managed to pop one right into the f-hole of someone else's guitar once.

– Billy Zoom

So psyched to see him play later today -- never have before, and been wanting to for many years (especially since it's a Stray Cats gig) -- maybe I'll learn something...

Like, maybe it's time I hang up the guitar and take up the triangle!

He's just tucking the pick into his index finger,( which he then does not use to fingerpick.)

Here's a close up video, he doesn't explain it, but he does it.

Here you go guys, I uploaded it to youtube. It's the full lesson from Total Guitar. FFWD to :50 for the "pick thing"

– Billy Zoom

Could be. I'm pretty sure I ain't.

– Billy Zoom

I'm inclined to think this. After all, Brian is successful.

Lee

I'm the best player in the world....I just hide it extremely well.

That's funny I do that pick thing all the time . I'm not huge fan of his but have always respect his ability and liked his overall sound. I did learn a bit of his style (along with cliff Gallop..ooo lala!) when I found myself suddenly playing lead in a rockabilly band a long time ago and I was really only familiar with Scotty Moore.

That holding the pick in your hand while finger picking with your other fingers is just the sort of thing one does instinctively. Also because I spent a lot of time playing with pick and fingers, now when I finger pick acoustic, for some stuff I'm not using my index finger at all , I use my middle and ring and pinky instead. It looks funny. That's mostly for conventional folk/country style alternating bass stuff. I never anchor my hand either

There's so many styles that there is really NO right or proper way to play guitar, that's what's cool about it.

One thing I can't do is the close fisted picking—it throws me off instantly. I do the anchor style, I learned it early, but the tuck-in-pick—I forced myself to learn it in the last 10 years.

I watched an old Duke Robillard show on Ohne One in I believe, Germany. Larry Coryell's son was playing rhythm guitar for him. The young guy had that closed fist style of playing with a pick. I couldn't see how it could be accurate or comfortable, but it seemed natural to him.

The closed fist thing is all about picking efficiency... it actually (theoretically) makes it easier to play fast. I've tried it, it works, but I'm not comfortable with it, and at 48 years old, I ain't gonna' (take the time to) GET comfortable with it LOL. I've always been more of an SRV with the right hand- very aggressive, wide strums, etc.

But if you watch his right hand, it doesn't move much, especially when playing fast. Economy of motion.

I learned the pick tuck from Eddie Van Halen so its a natural thing, playing like setzer not so much as its a very unique approach.. watch this video and see how there just are NO rockabillies able to keep this pace. the chording is amazing, good speakers let you hear the bass note against the chords toward the end. dammit dammit, I quit.

A lot of players (that I spoke), including myself who are into this say they love Brian Setzer for what he did for rockabilly, neo-rockabilly, psychobilly, swing etc. but hate him for setting the bar so high.

A lot of players (that I spoke), including myself who are into this say they love Brian Setzer for what he did for rockabilly, neo-rockabilly, psychobilly, swing etc. but hate him for setting the bar so high.

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I keep thinking, maybe some day when I'm retired, I'll have the TIME to dedicate to this stuff and try to get better in that direction.... I'm confidant in my blues/rock playing, which is what I cut my teeth on, but the jazzy stuff.... it just takes too much time and brainpower, it's like a totally different way of THINKING, and I can't find enough time to re-arange my brain to make any progress getting better at it....

I learned the pick tuck from Eddie Van Halen so its a natural thing, playing like setzer not so much as its a very unique approach.. watch this video and see how there just are NO rockabillies able to keep this pace. the chording is amazing, good speakers let you hear the bass note against the chords toward the end. dammit dammit, I quit.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Yeah....I quit.

I hear guitars make good coffee tables.....

I'm telling you, Tavo...

– Lacking Talent

I'd probably make more money playing a triangle! :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation