Miscellaneous Rumbles

Winter NAMM 2018 — Who’s Going?

So, just who is going to be there? Who is going to the world's largest musical trade show where you feel like you are in the largest music store ever invented?

I will be attending the NAMM Show again in a few weeks and it is always fun to meet up with other members of the GDP while there.

So, if you are planning to attend, please post up something here that says you will be there. Then, plans can be made for all of us to somehow connect while down there.

Been to Anaheim Conv Ctr. for many medical/scientific meetings, but cool to think of it filled with guitar heads. Have fun out there.

Just in LA this last weekend. I can only stand about 1 week a year in LA anymore.

Have fun.

Sigh... love to, but my travel fund was eaten up (literally) by a rodent infestation so we're tightening the belts this year. Have not been back since '12 and I am jonesing to return. Maybe in 2019.

Sorry- have fun! Have an In-Out Burger for me.

Definitely attending on Friday. Saturday and/or Sunday are maybes. See you there.

I will be there as per usual but maybe only one day at the show. Lots of gigs while I am there over two weeks

I will be there as per usual but maybe only one day at the show. Lots of gigs while I am there over two weeks

– paul pigat

Make sure and announce your Gig's . Those Local Bar/Club off site NAMM show Gigs are the SH*T !

– paul pigat

Well, Paul, do tell us all about all your gigs. I'm so fortunate to be bringing along some Gretsch endorsed players and other guitar loving friends. We'll want to hit your gigs, for sure. And, if you will be out by the 20th, please come join us for our third presentation of Imagine Something Yesterday.

This time, we'll have four of the former members of Wings, Laurence Juber, Steve Holley, Denny Seiwell, and Denny Laine, also of the Moody Blues. Add to that Hirsh Gardner of New England, Marky Lennon of Venice, several Gretschslingers and an After Party of Danilo Fiani from Rio, World Renowned George Tribute artist and Gretsch Endorsed Artist Gavin Leslie Pring of The Fab Four, and so many others that I get all het up just thinking about this year's fun.

Ricky-Bob, do you think we'll ALL get back on that balcony for our annual shot. Fear that one or more of us won't get out for NAMM this year, all the way from Florida.

In case any of you are inclined to come on the 20th, I'll post the flyer here. Or, you can let me know you want to join us.

Looking forward to the new offerings and to catching up with everyone.

All My Lovin, Olivia Anne

No, ma'am, Bonedaddy is coming out. I had hoped that Proteus might make it, but that appears unlikely now.

Glad that Beatbyrd Tom and Manny will be there and I sure hope to have the chance to hear Paul Pigat play.

Unfortunately headed to the right coast to meet up with family. Bummer

I remember talking to Paul at the Gretsch booth and not knowing him by sight. Then later, I saw him on the Gretsch stage and realized who I was joshing with about the "Wet Coast"

Paul- I still owe you coffee and such. Call me next time you're in Vic (Martin has my digits) and I'll pay up. There's a great little bistro in Sidney called "Toast"....

I’m on the fence, can’t find a room in the same zip code.

Sigh... love to, but my travel fund was eaten up (literally) by a rodent infestation so we're tightening the belts this year. Have not been back since '12 and I am jonesing to return. Maybe in 2019.

Yikes, Kevin! That doesn't sound good.. Sorry to hear about the rodent problem.

I’m on the fence, can’t find a room in the same zip code.

– Curt Wilson

Curt, I sent you a message about that.

Once again, I intended to go and did not get any ducks in any rows.

I’ll be there, probably on Friday and/or Saturday. Let’s make some noise

If anyone will be around the week before NAMM, Marty Stuart And His Fabulous Superlatives, and Deke Dickerson, will be at the Troubadour on the 17th. I know we have fans of Deke here for sure; I'm a fan of Marty. And, some of us have gotten in touch to say they will be there when I am for Michael Nesmith on the NAMM Thursday, too, That show sold out in 20 minutes, Link to Stuart event here >>>

Gibson is not

– Dr Nyl

SMH. It's a sign of the times, I suppose.

I remember attending a NAMM Show a number of years ago where Gibson also did not have a booth. Instead, they had a small wall in another vendor's booth which had about a dozen guitars on it. And that was it. No other displays at the Show.

While we are all Gretsch fans on this forum, many of us also own Gibson guitars and are fans of that brand to varying degrees as well. Thus, it is a real shame to see this iconic brand sputtering on fumes. Hopefully, they can get their act together and get back to the NAMM Show again. Somehow, it isn't the same Show without them.

Interesting. Are guitars becoming "secondary" items to the folks in charge? Judging by the photo in the article above, it looks like this is at least Gibby's second foray to the CES.

Someone has made the choice, but we are left to wonder why....

Somehow, it isn't the same Show without them. - Ric12

I've never been, but from what I understand it's such a big show that one vendor, even a goliath like Gibson or Fender won't make or break the show, but I understand about folks being disappointed about their favorite companies not being present to show off their new models,

Fender FMIC Gretsch, etc. All make a great splash. But, make no mistake Gibson puts the big pot in the small pot in a huge space. And, they bring in their artists, Like FMIC used to do. But, the expense of the NAMM show is insane. So, it makes economic sense to the bean counters, but not to the sales folks who see not being at NAMM akin to being put in the grave.

Well despite my intense grief at Gibson's non-appearance, I guess I'll go ahead and show up anyway, if for no other reason than to provide confectionery sustenance to the Reverend, Quilter, RainSong, and if they want it, Gretsch booths. And maybe look at a little gear. Not sure what Gretsch could come up with this year to outdo last year's Darrel Higham/Duane Eddy/Jeff Beck extravaganza, that was one for the history books, but Joey C is capable of great things. Since the Stray Cats are getting back together for VLV, maybe they'll do a dry run at NAMM.

Not that anyone is likely to still be there by Sunday (the 28th) evening, but if you are, I'll be playing with the Lizards then, across the street from the Anaheim CC at Downtown Disney from 6-10pm. Come on by and say "Hi," if you feel inclined.

Register Sign in to join the conversation