Miscellaneous Rumbles

Willie McCovey , RIP

All timer and Hall of Famer. Sad to see him go. Tho' not a Giants fan this man will live in Cooperstown forever.

Oh no! Horrible news. He and Willie Mays were the foundation upon which the entire organization was built after the team moved west. I am so very sorry to hear this news, but it is not entirely unexpected. He had been doing less than optimally in recent years.

R.I.P. Stretch!

Part of all the memories I had as an aspiring Baseball prospect...I played A LOT of Baseball...

RIP Willie

oh man...rip willie mccovey

when he stepped up to the plate, you never knew what was gonna happen!!!...

and he was solid fun as fielder for big man!!

cheers

In one of Ron Luciano's 3 fabulous books, he tells other umpires' accounts of long home runs and once while still in the minors, in Detroit IIRC, Willie hit one over the center field fence which I believe was 400 ft. It cleared the bleachers, then a 4 lane road back of the stadium, the lawn in front of a church on the far side of the street and short-hopped the church's front door! Now that's a blast!

Even though I saw a lot of Tiger games, growing up in Windsor, I never got to see him play in person, him being in the National League. He could sure smack a baseball and did it for 22 seasons. RIP Willie.

Willie McCovey was the first player I watched in the minors (Phoenix Giants) and then come into the Majors. My mother was a Giants' fan and I grew up watching the three Willies (Mays, McCovey and Kirkland).

Requiescat in Pacem, Willie McCovey. You will long be remembered.

As a kid I got to see McCovey, Mays, Marichal, Cepeda & co. play several times. Those were great days!

As a kid I got to see McCovey, Mays, Marichal, Cepeda & co. play several times. Those were great days!

– Parabar

I got to watch their American League equivalents, the dynasty Yankees of the late '50's/early '60's and of course one of the two greatest hitters of all time, the 'Splendid Splinter'. Not the furthest hitter or the most home runs, although he had his share, but incredibly dangerous at the plate. The other 'greatest' being Henry A. Willie was right up there with this pair for sure.

– Parabar

Same here, Parabar. My friend's mom would drop us off at the Astrodome where we would pay $1.50 to sit in the outfield and see greats like McCoy, Mays, Clemente, you name them we saw them. Just this week I found an old Astros program from the early 70's with a page devoted to the current MLB stars. Included was Willie McCovey.

Yes, indeed I saw those Giant teams of the 70's going to the Astrodome games in the mid to late 70's. What great times they were. Saw the G'ints at least 4 times from '77 to '82. We usually sat on the 1st base side 30-40- rows back. I do remember Nolan Ryan smacking a homer in one of those games.

Register Sign in to join the conversation