Miscellaneous Rumbles

Wilburys

A great Gretsch feature.

The Wilburys borrowed these guitars from Norman Harris of Norman's Rare Guitars which, back then, was located in a very small shop in Van Nuys, California. Norman Harris had several photos taken at the time, autographed by the five, one of which was of Norman Harris and George Harrison together with Harrison holding a Country Gentleman. Ever a little bit paranoid of being taken advantage of, Harrison inscribed the photo with the legend, "This is not my Country Gentleman!"

There's a copy of that picture hanging on a wall at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas. It's near the elevators to some of the guest rooms in one of their towers. We stayed at the Hard Rock for a number of years in a row while the company I worked for attended an annual conference, and I'd always look at that when going to and from my room. Great photo!

The Wilburys borrowed these guitars from Norman Harris of Norman's Rare Guitars which, back then, was located in a very small shop in Van Nuys, California. Norman Harris had several photos taken at the time, autographed by the five, one of which was of Norman Harris and George Harrison together with Harrison holding a Country Gentleman. Ever a little bit paranoid of being taken advantage of, Harrison inscribed the photo with the legend, "This is not my Country Gentleman!"

– ewkewk

Great pix -- had not seen this one.

Well, by rights George did not own a Gent at that time. .. 10 years ago it was discussed to death around here with many knowledgeable types about the missing Gent debate. Afire led the formal discussion I think.

1 Gent -- broken on the highway 12/65. Could have been the only briefly seen in Help 2 Gent -- some Mersey band guy said George traded it to him. 3 Gent -- that Ringo had but a recent arrival around the time of Anthology

Then to confuse matters, someone had heard that Norm said that George offered him that original Gent. Sounds farfetched.

Register Sign in to join the conversation