Miscellaneous Rumbles

Why Music?

Please, no long dissertations. You do not want to be like Strummerson. Just keep it as simple as you can. Why music? Why do you have a love for music?

Me? It's just fun. My first favorite music was The Jackson Five. I was a little kid and all I knew was that their music on the radio, their appearances on TV, their cartoon show, their music on my turntable made me happy. Trying to dance like Michael, grooving like Tito while playing air guitar, putting J5 stickers on my lunchbox...music equaled fun for me and I was forever hooked. As I grew up I saw that music can also address social and emotional truths, but that stuff isn't going to hook a little kid. However, Jackie, Tito and Jermaine shaking their afros while Michael belted out "Going Back To Indiana" was FUN and did hook this little kid.

February 9, 1964.

– Ric12string

Wow, this gave you a passion for music? Hey, that's cool. A bit odd, but to each his own, right?

From what my folks told me, I started picking out songs on a xylophone when I was a toddler. I apparently had no choice but to play music.

Beats the hell out of drugs or alcohol. And much better for the nervous system...

I fell in love with tight, well-blended human vocal harmonies sometime around 3 or 4 years old. The appreciation for instruments came 5 or 6 years later.

That quartet (not Mr. Jones) that I saw on 2/9/64 motivated me to want to play. It's kind of funny.... I had seen Roy, the Everlys, Ricky Nelson, Elvis, Beach Boys, etc. well before then with no thought of playing an instrument. Thanks for booking them, Ed.

Three words- D, N, & A.

With both parents involved in the industry, my early years were spent surrounded by music and I was apparently mimicking what I was hearing before I was three...

So perhaps there's a fourth word- inevitability.

As a toddler every adult that I knew played or sang, it was years later I found out my folks ran a folk club and the performers used to sleep on our sofa after the show.

Well the date and show are etched in stone and I'm certain about the act.

As a rock artist i my wild country put it: "rock'n roll saved me from sports".

Always had music in my head. Figured I ought to share it.

An attachment that became physiological. The ears connected to the heart and it became a staple almost as important as food.

Why not?

– Deed Eddy

People see the world as it is and ask: Why? He saw the world as it could be and asked: Why not?

As I believe we all should. Nice to hear from you, Strumm.

Listening to music helps drown out the screaming voices in my head....

Actually, the Beatles on Ed Sullivan is what made me want to play guitar and to perform for others. But, music has been a part of my life from my earliest memories. Both of my parents were singers and they had a baby grand piano in our living room. My siblings and I each learned to play the piano and we all were singers. We used to sing as a trio in church when I was perhaps all of four years of age. I can still recall driving across the desert to visit relatives in Arizona and everyone in the car would be singing. I learned to sing harmonies by singing with my parents and have thanked them millions of times in my thoughts for having imparted that gift to me.

In addition to singing and playing piano, I was always very active in school bands, orchestras, choirs, chamber chorales, and as a soloist. Initially, I played clarinet and started playing around with other instruments that my siblings were playing. Eventually, I ended up in the percussion section, first on snare drum and then on tympani. I didn't start playing guitar, however, until around 1967. (Oh my, it just dawned on me that I have been playing for fifty years, and this is all the better that I get? )

So, like most of us on this site, music has been in my genes and has been a thread that ties everything else in my life together.

Actually, the Beatles on Ed Sullivan is what made me want to play guitar and to perform for others. But, music has been a part of my life from my earliest memories. Both of my parents were singers and they had a baby grand piano in our living room. My siblings and I each learned to play the piano and we all were singers. We used to sing as a trio in church when I was perhaps all of four years of age. I can still recall driving across the desert to visit relatives in Arizona and everyone in the car would be singing. I learned to sing harmonies by singing with my parents and have thanked them millions of times in my thoughts for having imparted that gift to me.

In addition to singing and playing piano, I was always very active in school bands, orchestras, choirs, chamber chorales, and as a soloist. Initially, I played clarinet and started playing around with other instruments that my siblings were playing. Eventually, I ended up in the percussion section, first on snare drum and then on tympani. I didn't start playing guitar, however, until around 1967. (Oh my, it just dawned on me that I have been playing for fifty years, and this is all the better that I get? )

So, like most of us on this site, music has been in my genes and has been a thread that ties everything else in my life together.

– Ric12string

Simmer down, Proteus Jr.

We're supposed to keep the answers brief!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Somehow I don't take instructions very well. Sez a lot about me, I know.

Riding my Big Wheel as a child, in the house, and I heard my sister's album...

Bowie, Ronson and a lead guitar on "Suffragette City, " and it changed my life.

Not even the dream of being a Minnesota Viking could match rock and roll.

Addendum: Alice Cooper followed the next day. Bowie and Cooper for a little kid, it was dark but so appealing.

...------

Instantaneous emotional gratification.

My earliest memory. Sometime in the late 50s I was perhaps three or four years old while having a meal at a diner with my family, someone put a coin in the jukebox. The song "Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds came on and the melody was so melancholy that I got emotional and I started to tear up. The next song was "That'll be the Day" by Buddy Holly and cheered me right up and I started dancing around the diner. That day I realized the power of music.

Register Sign in to join the conversation