Miscellaneous Rumbles

Who Likes The Bee Gees?

Wellsir, for whatever reason, I never had much interest in that song.

But please, continue the BeeGee festival. Never mind my (categorically correct) opinion.

– Proteus

I really want to hear you sing a BeeGees song..

For those who have never heard Proteus' voice, he's more Barry White than Barry Gibb.

And if anyone with any photoshop skill can make a ProGees pic with Barry's lion mane of hair surrounding Pro's face in a white satin jumpsuit, I'd be eternally grateful.

First couple of tunes were fine. After that, NOPE!

If I want to hear a high pitched squeaky voice screaming at me, I'll get into it with my wife. At least making up will be fun.

Disco still sucks.

YMMV.

I do, and especially the disco-era, saturday night fever stuff. I understand people's objections to them, but i do not share them. Some of those songs - more than a woman, how deep is your love, night fever, nights on broadway, emotion, grease, wanna be your everything, and a whole host of others for which they are responsible - (their performances as well as other artists' performances), are to me some of the best pop songs ever written.

I much prefer the Saturday Night Live BeeGees to the Saturday Night Fever ones:

Add "Massachusetts", the early hits go on and on.

Saturday Night Fever was fully acceptable for its era, as they did it better than most even if some of the songs were written before the movie and without a disco thought.

I don't care for any of their hits, especially the disco stuff, and don't like their falsetto style. But they're obviously talented, so I would suspect there are some deep cuts that I would like. I just haven't heard them.

I think they are incredible song writers and there's nothing like the harmonies of 3 brothers. I get that people don't like the genre sometimes, but there's a reason John Frusciante covers them during Chili Pepper shows.

I watched "One Night Only" not too long ago. It was recorded when Barry was having severe back issues, but you'd hardly know it from the enthusiasm and energy he put into those shows.

It's the only BG show I have ever taken in, so I can't talk about an actual live performance, but if the touring shows had the energy and feel of that concert, they would have been pretty good.

About the early music- my younger sister was a huge BeeGee fan, so I had "Words", "Massachusetts" and "I Started A Joke" in my head for a long time in those days. The disco stuff caught me off guard, but after a few listens, I started to appreciate the harmonies and the lyrics.

There really was some serious talent there. But some people like opera, some can't stand it. To me, that pretty much applies to disco as well.

This is my favorite cover of a Bee Gee's song. The band is from the University of North Texas Denton area and their biggest claim to fame is that Stephen King was a fan of theirs and even mention them in one of his books.

Yup. Also Rupert Holme's piña colada song. And "Elvira." I've sung some epic stinkers.

– Proteus

They may be stinkers, but stinky enough to buy the respected artists a house or two.

Also, can't help singing along to either when the radio plays them.

I really want to hear you sing a BeeGees song. For those who have never heard Proteus' voice, he's more Barry White than Barry Gibb.

Well, rather than Barry White (I hardly have his sexy mahogany caress), a magazine review once said my voice and delivery came from the Frank Zappa Kabuki theatre - but if you're talking about range, yeah it's definitely baritone at best. Depending on conditions, I'm squalling and breaking up between D and G.

It just happened that the verses of "Your Everything" were at the high comfortable end of my full-voice range. In the choruses, I fully embraced falsetto. It wasn't strong or anything, but I could keep it on pitch, and if I worked the mic closely and really concentrated, I could rise to Marginal Competence.

When in bands with other singers (that is, bands that could get paid work), I'm a reliable harmony. My two or three vocals a night were features - like comic relief - to give the real singers a break, and create a contrast which made them sound better.

And if anyone with any photoshop skill can make a ProGees pic with Barry's lion mane of hair surrounding Pro's face in a white satin jumpsuit, I'd be eternally grateful.

Gosh, me too.

I'll repeat, I've always like the songs and singing of early BeeGees music.

"I Started a Joke" and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" are outstanding songs, just gorgeous.

I never liked the "disco" era for the BeeGees or any other "disco" act.

Now, I can appreciate the BeeGees disco songs. A couple of them are very impressive.

...------

Love 'em,hate 'em, this right 'cher is funny ! Link

I was ok w/ all their phases -- not wild, over the top. Their stuff was the best of stuff associated with disco.

Some may not care for Barry Gibb falsetto but I can live with it. That live late 90s show was good. '

And Maurice played a Rick bass some of the time.

So I was just walking through our shop when Stayin' Alive came on. I've always wondered why a guy would try to pull off a line like "Well you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk." as well, I've always wondered the same about "Walk Like A Man" with those high note falsettos. Jus sayin'

So I was just walking through our shop when Stayin' Alive came on. I've always wondered why a guy would try to pull off a line like "Well you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk." as well, I've always wondered the same about "Walk Like A Man" with those high note falsettos. Jus sayin'

– Suprdave

A real man isn’t afraid of high note falsettos.

Also, why does Frankie singing "Walk Like A Man" in that voice remind me of this painting?

A real man isn’t afraid of high note falsettos.

– Bob Howard

Slim Whitman would certainly agree. I'd give my eye teeth to be able to pull off a good falsetto. My natural voice range lives in the basement, with a couple of steps missing.

And why am I more than OK with Frankie Valli and his Seasons, the highest Beach Boy reaches, Uriah Heep background vocals, Ian Gillan's and Robert Plant's nutsqueezed exertions, and Jon Anderson's default range...

...but find the BGs tremulous warbling intolerable?

I like Tiny Tim better, fergawdsake.

And why...but find the BGs tremulous warbling intolerable?

It could take years of therapy diving deep into your psyche to find the source of this unusual repulsion.

And why...but find the BGs tremulous warbling intolerable?

It could take years of therapy diving deep into your psyche to find the source of this unusual repulsion.

– Bob Howard

I don't think Tim wants to admit it, but I think it was their late 70's open-chested outfits that was the "nail in the coffin", so to speak...

Maybe an instinctive subconscious reaction to "disco" in general?

Register Sign in to join the conversation