Miscellaneous Rumbles

Which Jean Brand Do You Like?

Levi's are no bueno any longer. It is like Clockwork, the belt loop on the right, right behind the hip will detach. Always happens to me and a friend says happens to him too. Even the cheapest jeans at Walmart don't do this.

Kirkland from Costco have been good but haven't bought those in years so not sure if they are still quality.

My go to jeans are Round House jeans. Love those. Fit good, look good, last a long time and Made In USA.

https://www.round-house.com...

What jeans do you like?

I like Drake’s of London for my jeans. Higher rise and a nicely tapered leg which is ideal for a long fellow like myself.

Levi jeans have taken a big dive in quality, just washing them wears them out. Wrangler is what I've been wearing for the past decade, ever since Levi's took a dump, they are comfortable, once they break in, and are very durable.

Wrangler Texas are my denims of choice.

Having said that I had an awesome pair of super-faded Calvin Klein button-fly straight legs about 25 years ago that were the acme of cool. Never had anything like 'em before or since.

O' course, you'd need my toosh to look that good in 'em so YMMV...

I think I look and feel my best in Mom Jeans.

I despise Hel-Mart, but their Rustler jeans are superb. Fit right, wear forever and look good while fading.

None has EVER worn through. Even when they take damage like puncture or acid holes, or snagged-on-something tears, the damage stays local and doesn't fray or unravel.

Plus they're stupid cheap.

I wear more black than blue; both are equal quality.

I started wearing Levis when they had nine belt loops. Then they went to seven, and now five. They've got seriously expensive over the years. Still, they wear well and still have better quality than most others. But, the bang for the buck isn't there as it once was.

I've been in the Wrangler camp most of my life. Levi's just never fit right. Honorable mention to Lee's.

Whatever kind is on sale when I need new ones. Wrangler, Levi's, Lee --- I even got a pair of K-Mart house brand ones once, and they fit and lasted as well as any others.

I'm due for a new pair, usually from the local Sears store, but haven't made it there yet due to the quarantine.

I used to love Edwin. They made jeans the way Levi’s used to but then they changed a few years ago and became a fashion brand and stopped making the workwear. Shame.

I think I look and feel my best in Mom Jeans.

– Afire

I know just what you mean. the high waist and extra room in the tush are soooo comfortable...

Now go do your homework before your father gets home...

Levis are total overpriced crap these days.

I can get still get basic cowboy- cut Wranglers for $15-20 around here. They just wear better than Levis and they still have 7 belt loops instead of 5, which works much better with my sidearm holster.

I was very young in the 70s but do you who were around remember how "designer" jeans were all the rage? Sasson, Gloria Vanderbilt, Jordache and the list goes on. I was in 8th grade in 80/81 and remember those were big. I think they had them for guys but they were mainly aimed at woman. I only would wear Levi's jeans. Also big were Levi's corduroy. Cords made some what of a come back 10 or 15 years ago.

Anyone remember Sears Toughskins? My parents could not understand how fast and easily I could destroy my Levi's jeans and in those days they were better quality. So they got me Toughskins. I am not certain but I think they did last longer than Levi's. Not sure what material Toughskins were made of but they were tough. They look like denim but I think they are something else. Levi's I would have a whole through at least one knee in a few weeks so Toughskins made sense.

Whatever kind is on sale when I need new ones. Wrangler, Levi's, Lee --- I even got a pair of K-Mart house brand ones once, and they fit and lasted as well as any others.

I'm due for a new pair, usually from the local Sears store, but haven't made it there yet due to the quarantine.

– Parabar

You still have a Sears?

Mine usually come from a Canuck chain- Mark's. They stick a house brand on 'em but the fit, consistency and durability means I can watch for a sale and stock up a couple of three extra pair at 2 for one prices. In fact, I have 2 brand new pair in the closet right now from the last time.

Sadly, I can't wear a lot of jeans right now due to medical issues.... but when I do, these will be the ones!

And speaking of Hell-Mart , the last Sears on the island, which closed about two years ago, is right now being reno'd into a two storey Walton Family edifice, the third one in a region of just under a half million souls.

Aside from boutique stores, the venerable HBC is now the sole "department store" on the local scene.

I despise Hel-Mart, but their Rustler jeans are superb. Fit right, wear forever and look good while fading.

None has EVER worn through. Even when they take damage like puncture or acid holes, or snagged-on-something tears, the damage stays local and doesn't fray or unravel.

Plus they're stupid cheap.

I wear more black than blue; both are equal quality.

– Proteus

yep, I like WalMart's Rustler jeans, too. been buying them for a few years now. as you said, they hardly ever wear out. I like their fit and to me, they are just as good as buying a pair of Levi's which I bought and had to have only that brand for many years. this Rustler brand is very economical and last for a long time. however, last year when I broke my leg, the EMTs had to cut my almost new pair off of me. UGH !!! oh well, I'll just buy another pair.

Anyone remember Sears Toughskins? My parents could not understand how fast and easily I could destroy my Levi's jeans and in those days they were better quality. So they got me Toughskins. I am not certain but I think they did last longer than Levi's. Not sure what material Toughskins were made of but they were tough. They look like denim but I think they are something else. Levi's I would have a whole through at least one knee in a few weeks so Toughskins made sense.

– ThePolecats

speaking of remembering, does anyone remember Farrah jeans ? especially the ones with the sticky knee pad re-enforcement ? they were great until the pad started coming loose and would stick to your knee.

Lee Jeans have always been my Favourite,..straight leg, good fit

Karl

I was into denim for a good bit 20 years ago.

My favorite jeans are Rising Sun. I still have 2 pairs. They are the real deal. And I’ve washed them 2 or 3 times at best

Black - Wranglers Blue - Levi 505's Overalls - Key Imperials

jeans are something for moms:) < americana snob alert>
All my selvidge denim pants are Pointer Brand from LC King of Bristol Tennessee. I was fortunate enough to get 4 pair that were still actually manufactured Cone denim material on the original machines in the White Oak factory in North Carolina that had run for 110 years! They shut down the iconic American Draper X3 selvage looms in 2017.

*The American Draper X3 looms were produced by the Draper Corporation, based in Hopedale, Mass. The Draper automatic looms were a significant factor in the movement of the cotton textile industry to the South from New England. Some were original to the White Oak plant, while others were reclaimed from outside sources and restored for use at the plant.

Cone Denim will also donate one of the looms to the Greensboro History Museum. This allows the loom to remain in the Greensboro community, available to the public, in support of the city’s denim heritage. Greensboro is the headquarters for Cone Denim, a unit of Elevate Textiles, and the company continues to look for opportunities to preserve and share the Cone heritage within the local community.

I was always a Levis bloke. But I have found the same problems as you guys. My go to brand now is Volcom. The only jeans I’ll wear now.

Kirkland works for me although I also have a pair of Duluth ballroom jeans which are comfortable.

I had a Bram's Paris Basic Tommy in black which was a dead ringer for a 501. Still not as good as the old ones but it was half the price.

Right now I like Cars jeans. They're a bit inconsistent with sizes, though.

Levis's, LVC, Lee originals,....

Register Sign in to join the conversation