Miscellaneous Rumbles

Which Gretsch in Your Stable Gets Played the Most?

I'm not asking which is your favorite, which is your #1, which you play more on stage vs at home; I am asking which one gets played the most.

Mine is the "Way Out West" Americana. Since 2007, it's been my sit-out guitar and primary songwriting guitar. It's my go-to around the house. It's my travel guitar. And I even gig with it occasionally . . .and will gig with it more now that it sports a Deltoluxe pickup.

It got played the most even when I had 3 and 4 Gretsches in my stable, that also included a Martin D41 and Gibson J45; and it still gets played the most now that I only have 4 guitars, total.

It's my "Old Reliable".

Andy, what a coincidence...that makes two of us.

Although I don't gig with it, this one is within arm's reach of my desk in my home office. I've probably written more songs on this guitar than any other I have.

And although it's not a guitar, this one is probably tied for overall usage.

It used to be the Clipper that Otter now owns but recently it's been the Falcon.

My modified '59 Tennessean. Its got a great mid-rangey honk when played unplugged that I love.

I play the 58 a lot but this one is always out. I didn’t play it much until I relocated the bridge pickup.

For me it's a tie between my 5420 6 string and my 5422 12 string.

Definitely my 53 VS Duo Jet at the moment, but only because my friend borrowed my 6120.

My 6131T Firebird PE Duo Jet is my daily guitar right now. I bought it last Labor Day, and I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it. That being said, it really is a stellar instrument, and honeymoon or not, it would probably still be my daily player.

As nice as the Electromatic Jets and the Streamliners are, a Pro Series Duo Jet leaps to the front of the pack. Mine is truly flawlessly (fit and finish), and the HS Filter'Trons blow the Blacktop's away (IMO).

The articulate clarity of the 6131 is astounding, there is a clear note separation when playing chords, and an outstanding chiming sound all the way around. The string spacing is perfect for me when fingerpicking, and every note rings clear. I'm able to get very low action without it sucking tone or buzzing. It's an altogether beautifully designed and constructed instrument.

My beloved 6128 ‘53 RI. I’m trying to be worthy.

This one Setzer 6120

– Mr Tubs

Beautiful top on that one.

1977 Super Chet although my 6122-1962 Gent has been getting some attention lately.

My Teleca.... Oh wait.... ; )
Gretschwise: It would definitely be the Corvette I built from one of the original bodies and my 59 green Annie comes in second.

This G5220

My beloved 6128 ‘53 RI. I’m trying to be worthy.

– Bob Howard

Damm Bob that is sweet. How is the neck? Chunky?

This one lately gets the most playing time all around. But I also have a 58 Guild F20 acoustic that gets used a lot too.

G5622 centreblock with three Super Hilotrons is the most played Gretsch. Least played is the Fairlane Blue 5420 -- nice guitar, but these days I just seem to open the case, gaze at it, think "mmm, nice", but then close the case. I was the same a few years back with my 6120 DSV. It ticked all the boxes except making me want to play it -- got very little attention at home and I never played a gig with it so I sold it.

Damm Bob that is sweet. How is the neck? Chunky?

– Joe Desperado

Not chunky. Like a modern Gretsch. It’s perfect.

G5622 centreblock with three Super Hilotrons is the most played Gretsch. Least played is the Fairlane Blue 5420 -- nice guitar, but these days I just seem to open the case, gaze at it, think "mmm, nice", but then close the case. I was the same a few years back with my 6120 DSV. It ticked all the boxes except making me want to play it -- got very little attention at home and I never played a gig with it so I sold it.

– Dave_K

Funny how that works, isn't it, Dave? The 1st era of G5622's are cool guitars . . .I almost pulled the trigger on the Georgia Green one on several occasions.

Most used...Gretsch Historic 3700 6-string Jumbo electric/acoustic.

I have the same guitar in a 12-string as well.

...------

The red one. They're all sweet players, each in its own way, but the Nashville is a sporty little roadster to the others' formal limousine.

I still don't know how to put multiple photos in the same response.

...------

My 5657T is getting the most love at the moment.

Register Sign in to join the conversation