Miscellaneous Rumbles

Where do you draw the line?

Had band rehearsal last night, and an old issue popped up again. Where do you draw the line at band mates playing in between songs and people playing different things. This drives me up the wall! I put my foot down and I get the attitude. Is it too much to ask to not tune your f#@king guitar on stage and to not throw down between songs on some noise? Trying to deal with a feedback issue from the PA and everyone breaks out into some incoherent crap. Am I surrounded by idiots? Or am I a little too sensitive? Most times we have a small audience (10 or 15 people) at rehearsal which can make it a little tricky to try new material but I find it helpful in being aware of the performance side of things. I was taught to be professional on stage, f#@king idiots! You'd think everyone was 15 years old....................................... Ok, I feel better now. 8-o

We ARE 15 years old in our minds.

I used to storm out of rehearsals, but only to cool off because I wasn't getting my part right. Thinking back, I probably looked like an idiot.

I hate in-between-song diddling.

If its for a purpose, such as to propose an idea for a riff, fine. If not, please shut up. We all know you can play.

On-stage audible tuning? Get real. That's why they make tuners with a silent feature. Even The Ramones knew that their audience didn't wanna hear that crappola (although it was kinda cool when Misfits did it. They didn't care about much).

Nobody should be at rehearsals other then people that are part of the band. Girl friends and boy friends should also be banned. Just my opinion.

Archtop 13 is right: ground rules. Rehearsal time is expensive and rare, so anything that causes anyone to lose focus is costly.

"Nobody should be at rehearsals other then people that are part of the band. "

chrisbo: Dead right.

To me, an 'audience' of 10-15 people at a band rehearsal sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. IMO it should be the band, only the band, and nothing but the band — plus maybe a sound guy/girl (if you have one) and manager, if you must. We have neither, so it's just the band. One guy acts as a sort of rehearsal organiser — we'll all chip in beforehand with any issues or arrangements that need ironing out, then he'll work us through them until everyone's sorted.

• No audience at rehearsals
  • No noodling between songs, especially on stage with fines for doing so. Eventually the cash collected from fines can treat the band to a beer and pizza night and everybody toasts the leading offender in thanks of the delicious meal.

Drummers: They don't call em Dummers for no reason...

Guess I've been lucky. Never had much trouble with people noodling either at rehearsals or on stage. Then again, I tend to run a pretty tight and focused ship...

I do like having a "friendly audience" at rehearsal, I come prepared, step up or go home.

if you're at a rehearsal, you're not "on stage." or at least you shouldn't be...having 15 people at a "rehearsal" is insane. if you expect me not to noodle at practice, piss off. it's rehearsal, not performance, and if the rest of the guys aren't ready i'm allowed to occupy myself until they are. i'm not going to sit there quietly with my hands folded. if you don't want me to noodle, be organized and ready. and don't be a bloody prima donna about it. if i screw up all my parts, you have a right to be angry...you do not have a right to be angry if i play "Born Free" to amuse myself while the drummer endlessly dicks around with his kit.

No audience at rehearsals. And no audible tuning. Noodling with a purpose is OK.

Communication is key at rehearsals. It's hard enough to get across dissatisfaction with an arrangement or a part w/o sounding like a complete dick when there is no one there. I cannot imagine how you could do that with non-band-members in the room. You've got to be able to stop a song in mid stride and say, "Smurf, that sounds terrible! Turn that goddamn distortion off! " Or "Jesus, tone it down, Bonham!"

or play the problematic ending/figure/chorus ten times over to work it out.

I understand that having an audience encourages you to perform; but when there's a dispute or difference to be resolved, performance is not what you need.

Ah rehearsals, £12 an hour to turn up late, then gossip for 20 minutes about how the week has been & what your going to wear at the gig (I'm in a band with 3 females :| )

There are as many ways to misuse rehearsal time as there are players who rehearse....

Over the years I've been in a couple of hand full of bands and the thing that piss's me off more than anything is the person who doee not go home during the week and learn their part of whatever tunes we were working up the week before. Rehearsals are to polish off a tune, not to teach someone their licks. Drummers excluded, they kind'a need the whole gang there to get their licks down. If you don't play at home alone.....

I hate it when someone's tuning and the others think it's time to piddle.

Sometimes playing in between is where inspiration develops, but it's irritating as hell.

Check out this:

Link...

it's rehearsal...if it was at a gig I could understand...unless they are doing it just to provoke you because you're funny when your ears turn red in anger

It's about the level of professionalism. Depending on the band focus of the band, each band needs a conductor. Players need to warm up but should know their parts for the songs they are playing. Tuning up which is often done between songs, should be silent, with a tuner and quick. It's an adjustment, not an overhaul. Other members should be seeing that they have everything in order for the next song or the next part of the process. If they don't then they need to check their level of professionalism.

It's a job, not a hobby or hanging out with the guys.

Often it takes one person to run a show. It doesn't have to be an ego trip or control issue. Just someone to move things along. Easy going and with a good sense of timing helps.

You are not practicing your part, you are rehearsing a performance. There is a difference. Unless you have over 10,000 people showing up, they aren't there to see you noodle around. Be professional!

All of this should be discussed and agreed upon before you open a case or sit at a drum kit. It's way better to have a set of standards outlined so that everyone knows what is expected of them. If that doesn't fit the bill, they should look else where.

I don't understand why there is an audience during the rehearsal. I would get fed up with all those people there if I wanted a good practice session.

IMO there are times when you can play in between songs and times when not.
Live on stage there shouldn't be any sound in between songs. I hate it when people start noodling live on stage.

At a rehearsal you have the beginning when people are setting their stuff up and warming up. You'll have noodling and people playing and lots of sound.
But during the rehearsal I think the most irritating thing is when you want to explain something to someone and the drummer starts hitting his drums or the other guitar player starts noodling. You should have rules for that because you can't get anything done when half the band isn't listening.

• No audience.
  • Tune silently or quietly and quickly.
  • Darn little noodling, and only if it's germane to material being presented or mutually developed.
  • Bring your charts and lead sheets, if any.

yeah, please explain...why an audience of 15 for rehearsals?

yeah, please explain...why an audience of 15 for rehearsals?

– Jeffrey Osowski

We have an audience because our rehearsal is inside of a private club. We typically rehearse on Friday nights, there are always some people around. While not ideal, we get a great place to rehearse and a very appreciative audience. We are the "house band" and end up playing at larger shows on Saturday nights.

Register Sign in to join the conversation