Miscellaneous Rumbles

When John Met Paul.

Excellent BBC radio documentary, narrated by Whispering Bob Harris, about an auspicious afternoon in Liverpool. I know you’ll enjoy this, I surely did.

When John met Paul

Thank you Deed!! I am a big fan of NPR and BBC. That must mean that AARP isn't far off!

Thank you Deed!! I am a big fan of NPR and BBC. That must mean that AARP isn't far off!

– JBGretschGuy

You watch a lot of the Weather Channel? :)

I liked that. Lots of crucial context.

Amazing to actually hear the Quarrymen on 7/6/57 - and they did sound good. Very strong.

One of my highlights of Beatle Week a couple of years back was having the remaining Quarrymen play at "the Woolton Fete" on the site of the Woolton Church where John first met Paul. And, Janne Borgh, one of our wonderful Abbey Road on the River artists, was performing on the Flatbed. Most of the folks in Liverpool seem to understand that if they fancy up stuff too much they will lose the quality that takes us back when we visit.

I particularly love The Casbah Coffee Club. This last Beatle Week Roag Best put together a really wonderful Best Fest. Of course, Pete was there and the Pete Best Band and other bands played on that microscopic stage inside.

But, I loved the recreation of the "back yard" festival with the outdoor stage and old timey concessions.

Best of all, I met "new" little Roag and his momma, too. They start them early in Liverpool.

I just finished listening. I'm really glad I did! Thank you for posting this!

I can't believe there is surviving audio of the Quarrymen's performance.

Hah, I was there Olivia, bought a Tee shirt to remember. Liverpool has changed since I last gigged there in the 80s.

Nice listen. Thanks for sharing, Miss Deed.

Thanks Deed, I already know the basics of the story, so I can't wait to listen to this over the weekend.

Hah, I was there Olivia, bought a Tee shirt to remember. Liverpool has changed since I last gigged there in the 80s.

– tonyb

Tony! Were we there at the same time! If you are there again, let's connect. I seem to find myself sharing a table at Festival most days we get to The Cavern Club, or the pit in front of the stage otherwise.

Rats! I must have waited too long, the link takes me to a page that reads "Sorry, the page you are looking for cannot be found!"

I took my daughter and some friends from back in the USA up there last weekend. It was cool that people are permitted to play that piano in Paul's house on Forthlin Ave. I played "A Day In the Life". We were almost brought to tears.

The curator of the Paul house is the same lady as in that recent Paul kareoke video. She's pretty cool. One thing I perceived is there seems to be some sort of subtle dislike of Ringo for having basically turned his back on not just Liverpool but Britain.

Thanks so much, Charlie Vegas, for the link.

Thanks Charlie! And thank you Deed, for posting this. I just listened to it, in full. It about an hour long, and packed with tasty information. It connects a lot of dots!

Register Sign in to join the conversation