Miscellaneous Rumbles

What’s The Weirdest Normal Thing You’ve Ever Seen?

Here's a weird normal thing: cheese can be good, but cheesy is always bad.

– Proteus

Good take on the irony, Tim. But we can most certainly put spray cheese in a can into the cheesey category of cheeses.

Wooooooooooo!!

– Proteus

I see the eleven "0"s there! And the (Ed) W, which is his inverted "M"!

Got it!

People who get really into professional sports to the point where they feel a kinship with the team. It starts with saying, "We lost," as if he/she took some part in the event. They wear shirts with other people's names on them. They become very attached to the local team, even if nobody on the team is actually from the area. When it gets REALLY bad, the fan's life is affected for the better or worse if the team wins or loses. I've known people that you just can't talk to for the rest of the day if their team loses. It's so weird living vicariously through the successes or failures of a bunch of people you'll never meet.

Yes, I never understood the practice of wearing a jersey to the game. Is it in case - if the team needed, they could grab you and have you play in a pinch?

Man, I am glad my pain killer wore off at 3AM.

This thread has made me aware of weirdness I hadn't noticed before, and cheese, that really isn't.

It, in fact, has diminished my weird thought about ironing socks, and the next time I'm shooting squeeze cheese into my mouth at a parade, while wearing my "My Eagles" T-shirt, I'm sure I won't even think about my drawer filled with socks, wrinkled beyond recognition.

Yes, I never understood the practice of wearing a jersey to the game. Is it in case - if the team needed, they could grab you and have you play in a pinch?

– JBGretschGuy

It simply is displaying which team you are a fan of, which player is a favorite. Nothing deeper than that. You're overthinking things.

As for the pronoun "we" when talking about one's favorite team, there is a very real sense of belonging to that team. Time spent watching them, time spent reading about them, time spent talking about them, very real money spent buying tickets to games...that creates a strong sense of belonging, thus "we."

It's just tribal. Apparently hard-wired.

My guess is that there's probably a club for antisocial hermetic misanthropes.

All those teams want from you is your money.

It's "We won" ,but it's always "They lost."

I know folks that have no connection to a team---never went to the school, or don't live in the teams' city---that are die hard fans. I'm annoyed by the fact that I pay taxes to fund Jim Irsay's Colts free stadium---with their tax breaks, concession income and so on---but he won't even let me see his multimillion dollar guitar collection. I refuse to pay $100 for a $20 sweat shirt, $10 for a beer, $10 for a hot dog, after paying hundreds for a ticket in the nosebleed seats.

I've worked at three major universities. It's even worse there. The athletes don't get paid---and that free education isn't worth the paper the diploma is printed on. The university rakes in tons of cash, and the alumnoids just keep giving money to the alma mater just to get their names on a sign somewhere. It's a bigger scam than the pros.

All those teams want from you is your money.

Well, yeah, it's a business.

I do agree with you about tax payers funding billionaires' stadiums. It is maddening...as are PSL - personal seat licenses. What? We have to pay thousands of dollars just so we can then buy season tickets??? How our states' attorney generals allowed that practice is criminal.

– Proteus

There is. My uncle (he's 90 and still witty and sharp) who's never married or obtained a driver's license, is a charter member of the "Association of Loners, Hermits, and Misanthropes."

Nobody ever shows up to the meetings.

– Proteus

"My guess is that there's probably a club for antisocial hermetic misanthropes."

Are you hinting that this may be a negative thing?

I don't know how you get in. If you ask to join, you obviously don't qualify.

Interesting the use of "weird" and "normal" in the same sentence. If it's normal, can it really be "weird"? Strange, perhaps. Outside of one's own experience, probably.

PSLs are quite odd, definitely a result of "herd mentality"...

– Proteus

"I want to live all alone in the desert.

just want to be like Georgia O'Keefe--"

---Warren Zevon had it right with "Splendid Isolation".

Ears. I was just sitting in a meeting looking at these spiral-y sort of nautiloid THINGS dangling off the sides of everyone's head. It was weird.

How is the energy of the mountain sensed, and in what form is it manifested? (ie, something on the electromagnetic spectrum, on the order of gravity waves, or denominated in some spiritual currency?

What benefits accrue to people within the mountain's energy range?

In what way is the energy "too much" for some people, and what are the symptoms which drive them away?

Over what range of distance do the mountain's emanations extend?

– Proteus

Good question and I wanted to take some time answering this. I believe the "experience" of the heightened energy of the mountain is due to the quantum excitation of the Higgs field. Thus people are experiencing the "God" particle. Thus the energy One experiences cannot be explained with the common forms of energetic fields.

Why would the Higgs field be more "quantum excited" in the vicinity of this particular mountain than anywhere else?

Is there empirical evidence of the phenomenon?

(Also, everyone actually involved in the process of experimentally confirming the theoretically predicted Higgs bosun seriously regrets its ever having been saddled with the "god" characterization. It originally came about just because some of the theoretical physicists involved thought it might be as hard to detect - or prove - as "God," not because anyone thought it had any unique spiritual property, or indeed, if found, would constitute a proof of divinity. It's another case of a casual metaphor used colloquially in a field of science being taken literally and thus acquiring an unintended meaning and importance in the wider culture.)

The quantum domain, subatomic physics - this stuff is extraordinarily difficult to describe, so counter-intuitive, even for people who work with the math daily. They've come to accept that the math works, and they keep trying to render it clearly into language through metaphors and comparisons, but most seem to accept a comment (usually attributed to Feynman) that "anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy."

Has it ever been established that an organism can detect or respond to a quantum field of any sort? If so, why did we build CERN? Why didn't physicists just hold hands and make a ring around Mt Shasta?

People asking celebrities for autographs has always been a very weird one for me. Why?

Why be such a pessimist? In cellular biology it has been shown that "it is an organisms perception of their environment" that is one of the greatest determining factors on genetic expression. In other words when we choose to believe we are in fact affecting our physiological make up and response. The term "God" partical is referenced because it is thought the Higgs Boson is the genesis of all other particles. Or rather the building block of all other particles.

It is thought that the excitation of the Higgs Field is what creates heightened energetic fields/ vortices/ worm holes.
Thus the explanation of all of the earths chakras. Mount Shasta is thought to be the Root chakra of the planet.

... and like the original tile of this post it is normal yet strange.... ... Perhaps the real question is what excites the Higgs Field?

Some info on the earths chakras; http://www.wakingtimes.com/...

Why be such a pessimist?

Empiricist.

In cellular biology it has been shown that "it is an organisms perception of their environment" that is one of the greatest determining factors on genetic determinism. In other words when we choose to believe we are in fact affecting our physiological make up and response.

This seems either tautological or confusingly expressed. Once an organism is capable of perceiving its environment, it's too late for genetics to determine anything about that organism. The organism wouldn't be there without prior genetics. Are you saying that what I believe will have an effect on how my genes express themselves during my lifetime, or on genes I pass along to succeeding generations?

Or is this just another overly complicated way of saying that nurture can interact with nature in the process of an organism's development? Obviously if I believe I'm in danger - whether it's true or not - I'll have certain autonomic responses, which may become habitual and (over time) have ongoing physiological consequences. If I believe everything is wonderful (and can sustain that belief), that too may have physiological effects - and things might become more wonderful for me (at least subjectively). To an extent, we can believe ourselves healthy - or at least psychosomatically healthier.

And, of course, when what we believe affects our behavior - our choices - physiological consequences will almost surely follow.

But none of that requires reference to quantum theory - unless you're saying that the mere fact of "believing" in the Higgs boson as the "genesis" of all other particles somehow brings us closer to God, or to understanding "his" methods, and that that belief in itself can be somehow transformative.

Of course, if you "believe" that's all so, and it's good for you, great. That's just saying that perception shapes (an individual's subjective view of) reality, a step away from "perception is reality." (Given the weirdness of the subatomic realm, even physicists with nothing better to do have speculated that might actually be true, and what do I know? But I believe that objective reality does exist independent of my perception of it, that when I close my eyes - and when I die - the world goes on.)

In any case, to detect the Higgs bosun we've certainly peered into an indescribably minute domain at the current absolute limit of our ability (much enhanced by technology based on physics which assumes an objective reality exists) to perceive anything. Still I don't see in the scientific literature anything to suggest physicists believe it is THE fundamental "building block," or that it reveals anything about the origin of the universe.

In other words, it's just a turtle, and there are turtles all the way down.

It is thought that the excitation of the Higgs Field is what creates heightened energetic fields/ vortices/ worm holes.

Yah, yah. The obvious response (much beloved by wikipedia's editors) is "thought by whom?" As in, what's the source?

Thus the explanation of all of the earths chakras. Mount Shasta is thought to be the Root chakra of the planet.

You might guess that I don't follow all the connections and empirical evidence that must be condensed into that single word "thus," with which we jumped from several unsupported claims about physics to an ancient conceptualization (as yet empirically unconfirmed) about "life forces" in the body, and THEN applied that metaphor to the earth as a living organism.

But I understand that we've left the realm of science and entered the realm of spiritual metaphor, which is fine.

I just don't know why we had to drag Higgs' poor elusive boson into that.

(Also, I don't pretend to understand much of any of this. I can believe there are quantum physicists who play guitar, even Gretsch, for recreation - but at least so far I don't know of any who regularly participate in this forum, or who have revealed themselves if they're here. Guys, if you're here, and you have time to explain quantum mechanics to a math-disabled layman, please message me.)

like the original tile of this post it is normal yet strange

Well yeah. Since quantum mechanics operates all the time everywhere, and is inherent to the makeup of the universe - but remais utterly weird at the level of our common-sense understanding - I guess it qualifies as "normal yet strange."

In reference to genitc expression, yes I am saying that you evolve throughout your lifetime. Your genetic expression evolves. How does this relate to the mysteries of the earths chakras? Well I'm not sure but is does relate to being argumentive and doubtful to what some might consider the great mysteries of life itself.

Register Sign in to join the conversation