Miscellaneous Rumbles

What’s The Weirdest Normal Thing You’ve Ever Seen?

Wonder bread. When we first visited the USA we had to buy some to see what was wonderous about. As we discovered the wonder is that anyone might consider it bread. There are laws against stuff like that in other countries,

Ok, that is weird.

– Bob Howard

What’s weird about wearing shorts when you go jogging?!?

Wonder bread. When we first visited the USA we had to buy some to see what was wonderous about. As we discovered the wonder is that anyone might consider it bread. There are laws against stuff like that in other countries,

– JimmyR

Wonder why it sells. Anyway, this reminds me of a funny thing concerning bread that happened to me when I returned to Canada after spending most of a year living in Europe. I ate bread everyday over in Europe, mostly Spain and France and got used to it's heavenly flavor, solid texture with many whole grains and nice outer crust. A day or so after being home in Canada [my mom's place] I made a sandwich. The first bite I clipped the edge of my tongue between my teeth and they hit together so easily and fast it shocked me. The insipid Canadian excuse for bread - thankfully it's much better today - offered no resistance so I had to chew carefully after the experience of that first bite! The best thing you could say then and still today about Wonder Bread is "it'll make a turd." Some compliment, eh?

People cooking. That's what restaurants and delis are for.

– NJBob

People driving to restaurants, being put on a waiting list when they can eat at home whenever they want.

Hey Windsordave - The first time I ever travelled to the US my girlfriend (now wife) and I struggled with American fastfood and bread etc for a month. Then we crossed over at Niagara Falls and visited Toronto, where as you know there is a strong Italian influence. So we bought a loaf of Italian bread and some butter and felt like we were back in normality. Ahhhh... Of course there is great food in many parts of the US but as young, broke travellers we either couldn't find it or couldn't afford it.

Oddly enough the place we tried wonder bread was in New Orleans. Everything else we had to eat in New Orleans was great.

Other weird things that you don't notice? Main courses called entrees in the States. An entree is an appetiser. Then you have the main course.

I had a part time job at the local A&P store stocking shelves and as a cashier - One day they put me on the '8 items or less' lane in late summer - A guy came through with 2 light bulbs a bag of driveway rock salt and a bunch of broccoli - I often wondered what spurred his need to get those particular items -

I had a part time job at the local A&P store stocking shelves and as a cashier - One day they put me on the '8 items or less' lane in late summer - A guy came through with 2 light bulbs a bag of driveway rock salt and a bunch of broccoli - I often wondered what spurred his need to get those particular items -

– Gretschbo

I can almost guarantee that there are grocery clerks in my town that are sure I'm some sort of deranged menace with some of the bizarre combinations of stuff I bring to the checkout.

I’ve lived in the UK for twelve years now and one thing that I never understood was the British refusal to install mixing taps in their bathrooms. It baffles me. I recently moved into a new house that has a gorgeous mixing tap and I love my new life. Temperate water is a beautiful thing.

– Nick45

Read Winston's Churchill's iconic and epic six volume account of World War II. In one of the volumes, Churchill tells of his trip to the Soviet Union to meet with Stalin. With all that was going on in the world, Churchill notes and is fascinated by the fact that his room had a sink with a mixed tap!

All hell is breaking loose across the globe and Churchill makes a note to self to make sure he discusses with the politicians back home why Britain has two taps on every sink and not one mixed tap! When I read that bit I just smiled and smiled...Churchill was some guy.

Churchill was some guy.

A truly great American!

Churchill was some guy.

A truly great American!

– Afire

You said it, brother.

And better than being a truly great American, Churchill was a truly great New Yorker. We know how to make them great here. (And don't bring up Donald J., please. One bad New Yorker out of 11 million is still pretty damn impressive.)

I was born in New York. Just sayin’...

American cheese. I know you guys think this is probably normal, but sheesh...

Don't get me wrong. You guys have some truly wonderful home-grown fare (anyone lucky enough to have dined with Miss Phila can attest to that), but Lordy me, that stuff's not cheese!

All things Mount Shasta. The Lemurian race of beings that live under the mountain in the city of Telos. The average conversations on any given day revolve around UFOs, saints, enlightenment and organic veges. Oh and there are the air-etarians who.... live on nothing but the air they breath. And.... let's not forget the pot farms and the seasonal exodus for the trimming of the buds. Strange? Perhaps. Normal? If you live anywhere near The Mountain, yes.

As a stage musician, I always was fascinated watching people twitch arhythmically on the dance floor. And clapping. Who came up with THAT? Actually, I think primates bang their hands together when they like something, so maybe that's not a mystery.

But if you ask the dance floor twitchers how they are doing, they reply with a long, loud "Woooooooooooooo!".

Now, if I was having lunch with a friend, and I asked how he was doing and he shrieked "Wooooooooooo!" really loud, I'd freak the hell out. It's an odd response.

Don't get me wrong. You guys have some truly wonderful home-grown fare (anyone lucky enough to have dined with Miss Phila can attest to that), but Lordy me, that stuff's not cheese!

– Deke Martin

It has its place. Mainly for melting to make lowbrow comfort food dips and sauces. It stays melted and gooey better and longer than "realer" cheeses.

http://www.ancient-origins....

– Proteus

Yes, the magic that is The Mountain is very real. People travel from around the world just to "be with the mountain" and feel its energy. "The root shakra of the earth" is the mountain herself. Powerful indeed. It's why I have made this place my home. Many cannot handle the intesity of the energy here and have to leave. All of this is strangely normal.

How is the energy of the mountain sensed, and in what form is it manifested? (ie, something on the electromagnetic spectrum, on the order of gravity waves, or denominated in some spiritual currency?

What benefits accrue to people within the mountain's energy range?

In what way is the energy "too much" for some people, and what are the symptoms which drive them away?

Over what range of distance do the mountain's emanations extend?

How is the energy of the mountain sensed, and in what form is it manifested? (ie, something on the electromagnetic spectrum, on the order of gravity waves, or denominated in some spiritual currency?

What benefits accrue to people within the mountain's energy range?

In what way is the energy "too much" for some people, and what are the symptoms which drive them away?

Over what range of distance do the mountain's emanations extend?

– Proteus

How is energy of The Mountain sensed? Short answer... by every fiber of your being. Benefits of being "in the field? A heightened sense of awareness, an acceleration of the human experience of evolution within your lifetime.

The range of The Mountains's effect? Since all chakras are interconnected I would say the "range" of The Mountain is infinite. Is it stronger by proximity? Most definitely.

How can this be too much for some? Simply, some people are not ready.

https://www.brucelipton.com...

the "range" of The Mountain is infinite

Current astronomical knowledge puts the diameter of the observable universe at about 91 billion lightyears...so, further than that?

the "range" of The Mountain is infinite

Current astronomical knowledge puts the diameter of the observable universe at about 91 billion lightyears...so, further than that?

– Proteus

Indeed!

Nick - I grew up with the two taps as well - bathroom sink, tub and kitchen. We had the kitchen done and the new fixture was a big mixed spout. When we moved a few years later it was to a new house and all the sinks had the single mixed spouts. And we now had a shower to go with the tub....heaven! Can't imagine why a single mixing spout didn't come along at the same time as water heaters?! Dual spouts are simply an ill thought out stupid concept! I hope at least you've finally gotten away from using fuse wire across the pond!

JimmyR - Glad you found some great bread in Toronto! I went looking for good bread after that incident with the bread I'd been used to growing up with and had to find a deli for anything worth eating!

I hear you about the misuse of entrée. Same here in Canada unfortunately. With the French influence here, entrée has a sexier ring to it than 'main course'.

Deke - I'm afraid we Canadians also have some of the same insipid excuses for cheese as found in the US but we also have some of the best in the world too. There's Balderson's various cheddars and Oka, for years ranked as one of the top soft cheeses. It's very "more-ish." The group of 'other' cheeses do have place in North America as afire relates, particularly the fast food part of it and the odd pigout with a big bowl of messy nachos smothered in cheese and other tasty treats washed down by good Canadian beer is a good thing!! Unfortunately the better quality cheeses aren't inexpensive so the cheaper cheeses serve the need of today's budgets.

– Deke Martin

It's legally not cheese, it's processed American cheese food. However it does melt better than most cheeses and many of us can fondly recall eating grilled cheese sandwiches made with it as kids. It's still the best for that.

Indeed!

– Hipbone

Wooooooooooo!!

Here's a weird normal thing: cheese can be good, but cheesy is always bad.

Register Sign in to join the conversation