Miscellaneous Rumbles

What’s the best quick method to fill in a nut string slot/raise a s…

More luthiere woes. I replaced the jack on m75t, but within asking, the luthiere lowered my strings (high b and e and low e) in the slot). I don't like low strings at the nut, but I don't want to go through the he'll of a new nut and somebody getting the string spacing wrong (again).

So superglue and baking soda? Fingernail polish? Any cheater methods that will work?

K

Superglue (very thin) and baking soda works well for me on wound strings. Sometimes on treble strings superglue alone will work. Of course you will need a file to get back to where you want to be.

Needless to say, be careful and mask off! Good luck.

You mean mask on?

Thanks!

K

Unfort, files are also a bit of a prob.

K

Konrad, I think that Iceman meant, to use masking tape to protect the nut adjacent to the slot. You can get inexpensive nut files on the internet.

If it's just a couple, a very temp. fix is slip a small piece of paper under the string. That wili work for a nite or two

Konrad, I think that Iceman meant, to use masking tape to protect the nut adjacent to the slot. You can get inexpensive nut files on the internet.

– Wade H

Thanks Wade. Yes that is what I meant. Besides, I hear masks are in short supply right now!

Just curious, unless you’re playing bottleneck on it, why would you prefer the nut to be on the high side?

I've glued a plastic strip acquired from a hobby shop in the g-slot of my G400CV. It was all about the stock plain g-string being replaced with a wound g-string which buzzed a lot.

Kind of a brute force way, but it worked.

Lee

Opie,

I like the nut to basically be cut so that the strings are lower on the treble side and slightly get further off the neck, roughly following the radius, but getting slightly higher as you go to the bass strings. But I do not want a very low cut even on the treble side. Within reason, if you don't cut the nut too low, you can easier get a more even action, the strings feel looser, but chords also seem more in tune all over the neck. Luthieres don't like this, but I know what works for me.

K

I get it now,thanks!

Opie,

I like the nut to basically be cut so that the strings are lower on the treble side and slightly get further off the neck, roughly following the radius, but getting slightly higher as you go to the bass strings. But I do not want a very low cut even on the treble side. Within reason, if you don't cut the nut too low, you can easier get a more even action, the strings feel looser, but chords also seem more in tune all over the neck. Luthieres don't like this, but I know what works for me.

K

– Konrad

People will cut nuts the way the customer wants but if it's too bizarre they'll refer you to someone else.

When the nut is cut uniformly the bottom of the strings typically stay the same height above the fret but it appears higher on the top by the diameter of the string. Action doesn't improve with a high nut, also intonation sucks a little more as the gap increases because you're affecting scale length.

Curt,

Really, we're saying the same thing. Here they seem to draw that arc through the middle of the strings, which means the bass strings are too close to the frets. They also like very low action at the nut. If I wanted a zero fret guitar, I'd buy one.

Actually, most strats, for example, are fine for me right off the shelf. Gretsches too.

The other thing luthiers do here is "fix" your nut without you ever asking for this.

Which is what happened.

Again.

K

Update--I did it myself with superglue and backing soda... and it works great!

My M75T is back up and running.

Could use new frets though.

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation