Miscellaneous Rumbles

What’s that white stuff?

We've been hit with a couple of abnormally cold days here in the (normally) Sunny part of Arizona. But we can get freak snows. This was from Tucson:

Snow in the south and 50 degree weather on Christmas in the Midwest. Cwazy! It is pretty, though.

We need some Midwest cold and snow. It kills of the bugs, and puts needed moisture in the ground. Besides, it looks nice. Weather has been crazy, tho. Wasn't there a tornado down your way on New Year's Eve, Dave?

Here in the Lehigh Valley, PA, we are SUPPOSED TO have white Christmases. This time we have record warmth (low 60's) while you got our snow![

We have snow in Cochise. Two days in a row and still on the ground.

Nothin' shaking here in Maryland although far reaches of this small state can be quite different

Ain't it grand Don? We don't see this very often, once in a blue moon on a waning crescent! To see snow at such a low elevation is indeed rare in these parts.

New Year's Day gave South Jersey a 61° day.

The Gods must be crazy.

Snow on a cactus is just wrong!

Interior of BC is getting hammered right now - freezing rain and lots of blowing snow. Here at sea level Greater Vancouver it's heavy rain and 48. Some consolation as it's dark enough to turn on street lights! The usual wacky driving will create hell on the roads.

New Year's Day gave South Jersey a 61° day.

The Gods must be crazy.

– crowbone

Works for me.

Out here in California where I live, we have had some pretty cold temperatures, although nothing below zero. But, we are lacking for snow. We terribly need the snow to replenish the sources of water with which we fight the fires. I have only patches of snow in my backyard.

Works for me.

– Baba Joe

Haha, Joe, I really wasn't complaining!

Snow on the Superstitions...sounds like a song to me.

Snow on the Superstitions...sounds like a song to me.

– Deed Eddy

And I bet you know someone who can write it.

We need some Midwest cold and snow. It kills of the bugs, and puts needed moisture in the ground. Besides, it looks nice. Weather has been crazy, tho. Wasn't there a tornado down your way on New Year's Eve, Dave?

– wabash slim

Yes. Talk about Climate change.

Haha, Joe, I really wasn't complaining!

– crowbone

I know and agree.

Yes. Talk about Climate change.

– Suprdave

Recently there was a tornado in Seattle!! How nuts is that??

Anything I might add would seem inhumane.....

Our temps today dropped by 30F degrees, and we had 40 MPH winds.

Our temps today dropped by 30F degrees, and we had 40 MPH winds.

– wabash slim

Ouch! Back around '98, I had one of my semi-regular drives north from Burlington, Ont to North Bay, a 4 hr trip, for a weld inspection project. As I starting getting close to North Bay the local radio station kept announcing the approaching hellish weather. The previous day they'd had a big dump of snow overnight, around 15" and then the temp shot up to about 45 and continued melting the snow on the morning of my drive. There was lots of flooding and the streets were rivers. This now heavy wet snow was really clogging up removal operations. The forecasters said that just after lunch the temp would drop like a stone, freezing everything solid very rapidly, especially the unplowed roads. I got there around 11:00 and it was warm and very bright, water running everywhere. At 1:00 the sky clouded over and quite a wind kicked up. By 1:30 the temp had gone from +45 to -28!! A lot of roads were simply undrivable with frozen ruts a foot deep! Overnight the temp found its way to -42 and stayed well below freezing for about a week. Many roads remained closed till the next melt and cars parked in the snow when the freeze hit stayed put as well! Fastest temp drop I've ever experienced.

Ouch! Back around '98, I had one of my semi-regular drives north from Burlington, Ont to North Bay, a 4 hr trip, for a weld inspection project. As I starting getting close to North Bay the local radio station kept announcing the approaching hellish weather. The previous day they'd had a big dump of snow overnight, around 15" and then the temp shot up to about 45 and continued melting the snow on the morning of my drive. There was lots of flooding and the streets were rivers. This now heavy wet snow was really clogging up removal operations. The forecasters said that just after lunch the temp would drop like a stone, freezing everything solid very rapidly, especially the unplowed roads. I got there around 11:00 and it was warm and very bright, water running everywhere. At 1:00 the sky clouded over and quite a wind kicked up. By 1:30 the temp had gone from +45 to -28!! A lot of roads were simply undrivable with frozen ruts a foot deep! Overnight the temp found its way to -42 and stayed well below freezing for about a week. Many roads remained closed till the next melt and cars parked in the snow when the freeze hit stayed put as well! Fastest temp drop I've ever experienced.

– Windsordave

Actually, that's not too uncommon or rare around here. We've had 28 days of above normal temps, getting into the 50F range. Not complaining too much. Arthritis is a great barometer, unfortunately.

I have shoveled 20+ inches of snow in the last 3 days. Big Storm for us, 3 waves. And it was rather wet snow, not dry powder...

Our home is positioned such that snow collects, lowest on the Cul-de-sac, and up against a grade that falls away. Across the street they had about half. Their snow just keeps moving, doesn't seem to settle.

We pay the price again facing North, only flanking sunshine during the day...slow melt. Great for the lawn and plants, double-duty to get the driveway clear and not let an ice sheet form.

But, we have got a great view!

Register Sign in to join the conversation