Miscellaneous Rumbles

What was your first?

Guys what was the first song you learnt and how long did it take? Partly idle question partly not, trying to find a yardstick to measure myself against. And part curiosity as what people picked.

go ahead and laugh, but it was "Long Lonesome Highway," the theme to the TV show Then Came Bronson. my brother had an elementary music-with-chord-diagrams songbook, and it was the first song in the book that i recognized. a journey of 1000 miles apparently begins with a 1:20 snippet. i was good with it in 20 or 30 minutes cos the cowboy chords were simple...i've always had a consistent, solid rhythm. this would have been age 13, 1970.

"Island In the Sun"- the Belafonte classic- in C, with altered lyrics for the locale. I flat-picked the chords, and took about ten days to get it ready for a Junior High "Variety Show".

I was 13, so that would make it.... 1967-ish.

Red River Valley.

I was 7-ish.

Thank you, Mel Bay!

how did you do that when you were 7? did you have a teensy guitar, enormous hands, or what?

By myself: B-52’s “Legal Tender”. Solo and all

A guitar teacher showed me how to play Zep’s “Tangerine”

Oh yeah, Mel Bay. I think mine was Johnny row your boat ashore.

Edit. Actually it could have been a bad version of Smoke on the water.

how did you do that when you were 7? did you have a teensy guitar, enormous hands, or what?

– macphisto

My sister had a rusty old child's guitar that she let me use.

It hurt like hell, but with persistence, I learned, and could make some noise, which was enough for me.

Stepping Stone - Monkees. I was 9yo.

Kingsmen - Louie, Louie, when the song was new.

Smoke on the Water. I learned bar chords before open chords. Most of my friends were playing it in E and I noticed that it's in G.

Little Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.

I think it was Peggy Sue,my dad showed me the chords he knew and this was one of the tunes he showed me,so... I was probably around 9 -10 or 11,memory is a bit hazed nowadays!

Kiss "Love Gun"....about as long as it took them to write it.....maybe 10 mins.

Mine was a 2 way tie......Birmingham Jail and Wildwood Flower. My guitar teacher gave me 2 pieces of sheet music to work on to start out. Was about 7 years old circa 1962.

"Satisfaction", but I had the lyrics all wrong...Mick can be hard to understand...

The first song I figured out on my own was "The Twelve Days Of Christmas" on the piano when I was about 7. Took an hour or so. I started lessons at around 8, and by 10 was able to figure out "A Hard Day's Night."

I took piano lessons at 6, but before that I could play "Au clair de la lune" and "Frère Jacques".

On guitar? It was Just Before The Battle Mother...when I was about 5 or 6.

I think the first one I could play and sing at the same time was "Knocking on Heaven's Door". To play and sing at the same time took 6 - 9 months, I suppose. I could strum chords and follow along at about 3 months of playing.

go ahead and laugh, but it was "Long Lonesome Highway," the theme to the TV show Then Came Bronson. my brother had an elementary music-with-chord-diagrams songbook, and it was the first song in the book that i recognized. a journey of 1000 miles apparently begins with a 1:20 snippet. i was good with it in 20 or 30 minutes cos the cowboy chords were simple...i've always had a consistent, solid rhythm. this would have been age 13, 1970.

– macphisto

“ ... goin’ down that long lonesome highway , bound for the mountains and the plains...” I remember it like it was yesterday! Not only learned that song ( just to sing, it would be a few more years until I would pick up the guitar!) but others from the album as well ( Big T Water, re-enlistment blues), I even had the motorcycle and wardrobe (complete with sunglasses and wool hat) and rode my motorcycle to school everyday!
Haha... haven’t thought about that in decades... thanks for the trip down memory lane!

It was probably "Sex Bomb" by Flipper.

As far as guitar and singing goes...as a teenager I was already the lead singer of the oldies show band, Cruis’n, and our lead guitarist was the brains of the outfit. His name was Ray. We had bass, drums, keys, 2 guitars and me. Played all the clubs and restaurants and private parties in the Bay Area. One day, we had a band meeting and Ray said expenses needed to be trimmed to keep us bookable, so either I had to learn how to play rhythm guitar, or Hans had to learn how to sing Elvis! Hans was from the Netherlands with a pretty thick accent, (great harmony singer tho!) and he didn’t look the part anyway! Soooooo,,,,I borrowed an acoustic guitar and the bass player gave me an old Fender duo-sonic 3/4 sized electric, and Ray showed me my first chords!! I was on a crash course to learn all of it...from Elvis and rockabilly to The Beach Boys. Ray showed me I, IV, V chord progressions, their relative minors, and how to do barre chords. By way of demonstration, he taught me Blue Suede Shoes. I got a Mel Bay Book too. That started it! We payed in that band for years...eight years later, Ray quit and started a new punk band, DK! Yeah, my guitar teacher was East Bay Ray.

When I was 6 or so, I first learned the Blue Danube on piano. It's the earliest one I can remember. It was over 60 years ago, so...

On guitar, it was House of the Rising Sun, when the song was new. It was quite a feat to get all of those notes to ring cleanly.

My neighbor Greg (RIP) showed me the five open chords when I was probably 15. I’d taken piano lessons the summer before so I kinda got it. My brother Joel heard me messing around, put on a Cat Stevens record and showed me how to play Father To Son in five minutes. It was an epiphany for me, that you can play a lot of popular music once you know the basic major/minor open chords.

Register Sign in to join the conversation