Miscellaneous Rumbles

What Was the First Car That You Ever Bought ?

bought?.. it was a 79 econoline... :)

I traded a guy my hand me down '84 Ranger for a '87 Mustang notch. It was a 4 cyl. conversion car with no 2nd gear.

It was loud and fast and ugly and exactly what a 17 year old needs! Loved that car.

1979 Ford F150 4x4 shortbox 400M engine w/four speed trans. I still miss it.

Ah, Bill Morrissey . . . he was a New England classic. 8-)

Hey, I own a turbocharged Saab.

Lyrics to Car and Driver.

Some of the lines just kill. (And I guess the '62 Biscayne must be a 409, otherwise who would have preserved it?)

I've got a Mercedes Benz with M.D. plates
I have no trouble finding dates.
I've got a 1980 Subaru
One more semester, then I'm through.
A slant-six Dodge is no big thrill
But it's a car no atom bomb can kill.
I make a lot of dough in a high-tech job
Yeah sure, you bet, I drive a Turbo Saab.

Chorus:
I'll bet you a ten or even a fiver
You find the car, I'll find the driver.
It really ain't no big deal
To know who's inside that automobile.

Well, I've just airbrushed my Econoline
"A friend of the devil is a friend of mine."
I've got a 1962 Biscayne
It won't start if it looks like rain.
A four-wheel-drive with extra chrome
I keep it on the paved roads close to home.
A Cadillac the size of an Amtrak train
When I drive I take two lanes.

[chorus]

Now my Honda civic is a real go-getter
I look great it in my crew-neck sweater.
And my BMW draws applause
I am not bound by traffic laws.
I got a Ranger truck: I'm for import quotas
I won't park next to no Toyotas.
And my Volvo wagon will seat six
It'll run on diesel or trail mix.

A 1969 Volvo 144. Although not mine, this is what mine looked like.

– Ric12string

– Ric12string

I learned to drive on a Volvo 144. It was a lemon. Got rid of it for a Dodge Dart, all you need to know.

My first was an 85 Chevy S10. It was brown at one time, but mostly rust by the time it came to me.

I was sideswiped by a drunk in a hit and run which resulted in a HUGE dent that went down half of the driver's side.

I loved that old, beat up truck. It got me through high school and college. I named her "The Sow".

Dylan

67 triumph gt6. Looked pretty much just like this one. Cool - but deadly.

– Baxter

– Baxter

Boy Howdy on that Bax. I saw a few cornfields from the "inside out" with a GT6+

Scarey handling indeed 8-o

'73 Gran Torino. You could fit 8 skinny teenagers and half a keg of beer in one those if a sudden rain storm came up. :)

Mine was a red 1972 VW Karmann Ghia, exactly like this one. I bought it in 1990 when I was living in Hamburg, Germany. I loved that car and only parted with it when a friend begged me to sell it to him when I moved to Los Angeles the following year and couldn't afford to ship it over to the States.

I replaced it with a '57 Karmann Ghia in LA and had a frame off restoration done on it. Beautiful little cars. No oomph in the engine department, but five stars for style!

1968 Chevy Chevelle 4door 307. I bought it when I was 15 and came to pick it up with rebuild parts and tools to fix the starter. Pulled the starter and rebuilt it in about 30 minutes and had my stepdad drive it home for me. I had no license. It was $275.00

Looks like guitars aren't the only thing with a story, eh Joe?

My first was a 1969 Dodge A-100 van that I got in '76. Looked just like this, but the front end was bashed in, which caused the windshield wipers to make a very loud "thunk ... thunk ... thunk" No stereo, no radio. I used to put a portable cassette player on the engine compartment (between the driver and passenger seats) so's I could have tunes on the road.

'85 Volvo DL (in '95) with plenty of MidWestern rust--though none of it visible on first glance. Ran that son of a gun into the ground but it lasted for 4 more years and at least 100k miles. Loved that little bastard...as a 16 year old it set me apart with the girls, an effect I have yet to duplicate. :D

Wish I had a picture to back it up. My first car was a 57 Olds Super 88 with the J-2 rocket engine. It had 3-2 barrel carbs sitting right on top of the engine and 371 cu. in. of pure muscle. Man, that thing could roar down the highway, it probably used a gallon ( 18 cents ) of gas every time you kicked down on it. That was 1964, you couldn't afford to drive it now .

First car I bought was in 1864, a 1948 Humber Pulman Limousine for 25 GBPounds.

3 rows of seats (8 official seats but we regularly had 15 or more passengers on a Saturday night out.

Had to re wire all electrics, tyres had canvas showing thru in places but went like a bullet. No testing of vehicles in those days. Did 7 miles to gallon of petrol and nearly as much oil. We used it for carrying group(5),all equipment including full drum kit plus 6 or 7 "extras".

kept it for 2 years then sold it for scrap...32 GBPounds

Mine was a '65 Mustang convertible, Dark green with a black top, black interior. 289 with a auto on the floor. Smashed it in a car accident, but went out and bought the same car all over.

Wow! I like you Americano's cars! My first ride in UK (Europeland) was a 1968 Vauxhall Viscount!

3 rows of seats (8 official seats but we regularly had 15 or more passengers on a Saturday night out.

Had to re wire all electrics, tyres had canvas showing thru in places but went like a bullet. No testing of vehicles in those days. Did 7 miles to gallon of petrol and nearly as much oil. We used it for carrying group(5),all equipment including full drum kit plus 6 or 7 "extras".

– davedee

– davedee

1864! Wow! Horseless carriage! :P

1964 1/2 Mustang was my first (yes, it was titled as a 1964 1/2). Bought it from my uncle for $200 in 1973. Red hardtop, 289, Cruise-O-Matic, no AC, no power nothing.

Drove it until it was killed in a crash on May 5, 1978. I didn't get hurt until I brushed the windshield glass off my shirt. That's when I scratched my finger.

Paul/FF909

thanks beneven!!! 1864! Wow! Horseless carriage!

Other half keeps telling me I'm getting to be a forgetful old git these days.

Even I wasn't buying wheels in 1864!!!! but my computer has been running slow recently.

Add 100 years and try 1964...... I had been driving Daimler limos, and Humber super snipes since I was 8 though. My dad thought I should get some road sense as early as possible. we lived in a small village with plenty of empty roads on the nearby moors and nobody bothered us.

We stopped once while I was driving to help the local policemen who had a puncture and he said it was a good idea my dad teaching me to drive and told me to keep it up and keep to the speed limits.

don't get that these days!!

Well, my first ride was an old Honda 'Black Bomber' CB450 that I took apart completely and put it together again. The greatest moment after you do something like that is when it starts immediately after it has been spread out in your garage for a few weeks.
For years it was my only means of transportation. Even in the winter I would ride anywhere I needed to go in just a leather jacket and blue jeans.... Man, that was cold!
This is one like it:

I'm living in the wrong country judging by some of the great cars here but the UK it is.

First car I bought at age 17, in 1962, was a '57 Ford Zephyr Zodiac for about £200 ($800 back then?) in the same colour scheme. as this one 'cept the bird was a blonde (she still, almost, is).

Poor old thing (car not bird) came to grief on a fast run to the South coast (Sussex) loaded with the band's gear - drums, amps, guitars etc. A loud rumble started and got worse; my passenger was worried but I told him not to worry as run big end bearings should just about get us home. Luckily, they did!

Register Sign in to join the conversation