Miscellaneous Rumbles

What Was the First Car That You Ever Bought ?

to go along with the thread that Bear started about your favorite American car, I thought this might be a good topic, too.

so, what was the first car that you ever bought ?

the first car that I ever bought was when I was stationed in Germany(1971-1974). it was a 1957 VW "Bug" with a 1956 motor in it. I bought it from another GI that I was stationed with. I paid $125 for it. I sold it about a month later for $160. a $35 profit !!! :D

My 1st car was a 1965 Mustang with AC and "Cruise-o-matic" transmission. Orange/red color.

@S. Rock: Bet you wish you still had that bug today, huh?

A 1970 Maverick. I had it a week, got rear-ended on the way home from football practice by some old guy who had a stroke. The replacement was a 1977 Pinto waggon w/wood panels. :D

My very first car was a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook that I paid $15.00 for. The front floorboards were completely rusted out and it smoked like a mosquito fogger. I "borrowed" a couple of speed limit signs to patch the floor boards.

It looks exactly like the one in the picture except the paint job had been done with a brush by the previous owner and there was no "TAXI" sign on the roof.

It now sleeps with the fishes at the bottom of Lake Michigan, but that is another story.

The replacement was a 1977 Pinto waggon w/wood panels.

feeling bulletproof after the first rear-end collision, eh?

1966 Chevrolet Biscayne 4-door, gold, straight 6/3-speed Powerglide. i think it cost me $200.

It now sleeps with the fishes at the bottom of Lake Michigan, but that is another story.

dude. you've spent enough time at the bar that you KNOW you can't drop a line like that and then not tell the story ;-)

1966 Ford Fairmont Staion Wagon. Got it when i was 16, so about 6 years ago :)

1993 Toyota Tercel. I put 260,000 miles on it and changed the oil about 10 times.

dude. you've spent enough time at the bar that you KNOW you can't drop a line like that and then not tell the story ;-)

– macphisto

macphisto, "It now sleeps with the fishes at the bottom of Lake Michigan, but that is another story. dude. you've spent enough time at the bar that you KNOW you can't drop a line like that and then not tell the story."

Okay, but I'll try to condense it as much as possible. I was maybe sixteen and lived fairly close to Lake Michigan. It had been a brutally cold winter so one night I decided to drive out on the ice and have some fun. Unfortunately, the ice wasn't as thick as I had presumed so... we sank.

Luckily I was able to get out by rolling down the window and swim to the surface and eventually made it back to the beach. I had to hitchhike home soaking wet and freezing my gonads off.

my first car was a 74 MG Midget. yeah a 6'3" 200 pound 17 year old in a midget. it must have been comical but I thought I was the coolest thing on the road.

Posting again....I wanted to put the image of the Camaro on here so you don't have to go to the www link...1976 Camaro....mine was burgundy....I think it cost $2600....I had worked at McDonald's for a year and a half and had saved almost all of my earnings to buy it...my dad helped me pick it out....

1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. Vinyl roof. 10 mpg. But V8 engine, 318. Looked like a Granny car but could race with the wind.

1983 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60. Here it is. Wish I still had it.

1980 Ford Pinto. About a year after I bought it somebody crunched the driver's side door while it was parked, leaving it unopenable. I had to crawl across the stick shift for the last year and a half that I owned it. As if it wasn't uncool enough the way it was to begin with...

'65 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon, in 1975. 200.00. Great car.

I had to hitchhike home soaking wet and freezing my gonads off.

having grown up in the Windy City, my turtle crawled back in his shell just THINKING about that.

1973 Ford Maverick. Indestructible!

Sedbear: The front floorboards were completely rusted out and it smoked like a mosquito fogger. I "borrowed" a couple of speed limit signs to patch the floor boards.

Funny. My best friend in school had a two-tone (olive-drab and rustbrown) '49 Dodge something his dad had taken in trade for an unpaid repair bill at the filling station. We called it the Staff Car. It too had rust holes in the floor and road sign replacements.

It bit the dust and threw up clouds of smoke along I-70 while we were driving from our small town to the east side of the Big City (Col's OH) to rent Marshalls and a Farfisa for an after-footballgame dance. Two of us abandoned car and driver to hitchhike for help.

Kenny curled up in the backseat and went to sleep.

1956 Mercury Montclair.

This color scheme.

The radio had a reverb unit with it. Before I sold the car I pulled the unit and with the springs (quite small) and a circuit I cobbled together (which included replacing a fixed resister with a pot to get some nasty when wanted) made a nifty very small for the time reverb box for my geetar.

I transitioned to a white '58 Thunderbird.

1960 Dodge Pioneer. Paid $20 sold it for $100.

Hey Drmilktruck, I also had a 1974 Swinger but with a slant 6. The gas shortage had come, I panicked and sold my 1970 triple black 455 Pontiac GTO with Cragers, Micky Thompsons, 4 speed, etc. and bought the Avocado Gold/Green Dart brand new. If that wasn't humiliating enough, I had it less than a month and my mother said that she loved it because "It's a real woman's car"! 8-o True story. My father wouldn't buy from me because it was not a 4 door model. Kept it about 2 years.

A '55 Ford convertible, BUT...it was about '64 and this was a true "junkyard special". Multi colored body (I seem to remember primarily red and white, with lots of primer gray and black thrown in, not to mention the good old Northeast rust. and it truly was a "ragtop" LOL. Mom would NOT let me park it in the driveway, but the world be damned, it was mine and I was playing in a rock band!!! :D

'53 Studebaker Champion "Loewboy" coupe. Handed down from my mom on my 17th b-bday. Low, long and HEAVY, the flathead 6 was neither economical nor fast, and by the time I got it, not really reliable, either. Like Bear's Plymouth,it fogged the world around it in a blueish haze, but it got me from A to B so long as I kept the oil topped up & equal parts coolant and stop-leak inhabited the rad.

When new, it was white over coral red, like the pic below, but 18 years later, it had faded to a not cool for high school dusty rose.

So I painted it.

Black.

In the backyard.

With an ancient Universal "Jet" vacuum cleaner!!

It lasted 11 months, then the block cracked. End of car.

Or not- some years later, it was located in a junkyard by a fellow with much time and money, and I still see it on the road around here .. alive. A-mazing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation