Miscellaneous Rumbles

What new pedal did you find?

I never had a Boss Blues Driver. Its one of those classics and I have have heard so much about it so I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and got the Waza version.

Hate it.

Oh well.

So you’ve learned something. That’s always useful.

I want a chorus pedal, whats a good reasonably priced one?

Been eyeing up that lavender colored Ibanez mini chorus

I never had a Boss Blues Driver. Its one of those classics and I have have heard so much about it so I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and got the Waza version.

Hate it.

Oh well.

– Jack Skellington

Just curious, do you still hate it after a few days? I've used one for years and had a bit of a love hate thing...but it's always found its way back to the board and I've tried loads of other OD pedals.

Currently trying to avoid overdrive pedals in favour of using Tavos Humbler attenuator.

Do let us know why the Blues Driver is not good for you though

the last new pedal i got was the Mojo Hand Villanova, an optical vibrato a la the UniVibe. it doesn't quite get all the way there, but i like it a lot.

I just bought this 1976 Vox V846 Wah Wah to replace one I'd sold off years ago. It is identical to the Sepulveda, CA-manufactured one I turned on eBay after my first daughter was born. This one has the TDK 5103 inductor and 100k audio taper pot. The seller said the pot was scratchy, but it turned out to be a loose wire which I stripped and re-soldered. I also had to glue in two rubber switch stops under the pedal's footboard. It works smoothly now and makes a nice addition to all of my Thomas Vox plunder!

Access plate from my Wah Wah.

Just curious, do you still hate it after a few days? I've used one for years and had a bit of a love hate thing...but it's always found its way back to the board and I've tried loads of other OD pedals.

Currently trying to avoid overdrive pedals in favour of using Tavos Humbler attenuator.

Do let us know why the Blues Driver is not good for you though

– Vince_Ray

I keep thinking I must be starving it of power or something given how it sounds. I should make sure theres no battery in there since I have it hooked up to my Voodoo labs power supply.

I have lots of overdrive pedals and find great combinations of gear for each of them. But i cant get this pedal figured out. I’ve played around with it for about 3 hours or so. On different guitars and different amps. It seems to retain this raspy or fizzy aspect on each. No clarity. Even at very low levels of gain. I didnt expect that.

I collect Ibanez 9 series pedals, these are the most recent and final acquisitions to complete my entire collection. One of which commands ridiculous prices on reverb as it was only ever made for the french market for 2 yrs.

I collect Ibanez 9 series pedals, these are the most recent and final acquisitions to complete my entire collection. One of which commands ridiculous prices on reverb as it was only ever made for the french market for 2 yrs.

– TheNocturneBrain

Hmmm, I see no AD-9 in that collection Tavo. I have the Keeley modded version. Thinking of selling it, it's a fine pedal but I have enough delays to reach into another dimension if I chained them together. Ya know how it is

– TheNocturneBrain

Hmmm, I see no AD-9 in that collection Tavo. I have the Keeley modded version. Thinking of selling it, it's a fine pedal but I have enough delays to reach into another dimension if I chained them together. Ya know how it is

Tc ditto looper pedal. $99. I bought it as a recommendation by an instructor as it’s a good tool for learning guitar. It’s pretty simple and really fun to learn, practice, and compose guitar parts with. It does come with a usb cord but not a plug. And it’s not battery operated.
I’m just surprised how fun and functional it is.

I have comfortably lived with my DM3 slapback through non reverb amps for years (and years). ‘64 Bandmaster, AC15HW, Carr Artemus, Carr Hammerhead... it’s kind of become my sound.

I finally decided to buy a Strymon Flint. Love it! The tremolo is a nice bonus too.

Unfortunately, it’s replacing a mini trem on my board and that will be a project to tackle.

Great thread!

My last pedal revelation was an Empress Tremolo (v1). I love trem and have a number of keepers but the rhythm knob is amazing! I didn't think I'd like it that much but it just adds an extra layer of motion on everything.

I haven't really A/B'd it against my Basic Audio Throbby, which I consider my favourite sound, but I'm having too much fun playing with the extra features I'm not too concerned with that for a while - I'll wait till the honeymoon phase is over before I do any serious comparisons.

I keep thinking I must be starving it of power or something given how it sounds. I should make sure theres no battery in there since I have it hooked up to my Voodoo labs power supply.

I have lots of overdrive pedals and find great combinations of gear for each of them. But i cant get this pedal figured out. I’ve played around with it for about 3 hours or so. On different guitars and different amps. It seems to retain this raspy or fizzy aspect on each. No clarity. Even at very low levels of gain. I didnt expect that.

– Jack Skellington

I recently have gone through the same. For some reason I never played a Blues Driver but the descriptions sounded promising. So I bought the Waza version because of that option. The idea was: Standard mode on Tweeds, Custom mode (mid push) on Blackface/Silverface Fenders. I can’t bond with the sound. It’s fizzy and humming like a swarm of bumble-bees. Reminds me of a brandnew overdriven AlNiCo speaker. Latter will break-in, the BD won’t. It’s for sale.

I recently have gone through the same. For some reason I never played a Blues Driver but the descriptions sounded promising. So I bought the Waza version because of that option. The idea was: Standard mode on Tweeds, Custom mode (mid push) on Blackface/Silverface Fenders. I can’t bond with the sound. It’s fizzy and humming like a swarm of bumble-bees. Reminds me of a brandnew overdriven AlNiCo speaker. Latter will break-in, the BD won’t. It’s for sale.

– sascha

HA, I must be the only fan! I guess it depends on the amp too, my Supro Supreme was a bit thick and can be muddy with T Armond pickups. The Blues Driver brightens it and drops some of the bass/midrange. But it is gnarly in a Link Wray way.

My version was an older model which had the Keeley style mod already done. Dunno how that compares with the Waza.

The most fun I've had with a pedal recently was with Tavo's Nocturne Humbler. But it isn't a pedal really, it's an attenuator. And ironically it helped me ditch the need for an overdrive pedal. It just shaves off enough of the volume to allow the amp to break up when turned right up.

No comment about bedroom volumes here. If you play the guitar in your bedroom, you should be at college or there's something wrong.

i've been thinkin' about an attenuator for this reason. i have a tiny gretsch electro 5 watt for the at home stuff, but i mostly play acoustic until im really practicing then it's the full on deluxe. I didn't give the attenuator enough of a chance though. I plugged it in before a show, made everything sound awful so i chucked it.

the ana echo? holy shit that thing destroys your tone because its made from the cheapest labor and parts on earth. Buy a Boss DM-3.

– TheNocturneBrain

the dm-2 sounds best to me, but the mooer for bein a cheapy was a passable stand-in when i was short on cash and away from my gear.

I don't like my delay too clean. i like a little mud in there.

i've been thinkin' about an attenuator for this reason. i have a tiny gretsch electro 5 watt for the at home stuff, but i mostly play acoustic until im really practicing then it's the full on deluxe. I didn't give the attenuator enough of a chance though. I plugged it in before a show, made everything sound awful so i chucked it.

– Dr. Buddy Mercury

Same here, I've always regarded them as an unnecessary evil. Weird how reviews vary too, some folks swear by them and say they make little difference to the tonal qualities. I tried one a while ago and was quick to throw it in the dusty pedal draw.

There seemed to be a bit of compression with the Humbler but I found it oddly useful. The compression that came with the older attenuator was the kiss of death

Register Sign in to join the conversation