Miscellaneous Rumbles

What new pedal did you find?

hey all!

I've had pretty much the same pedal board for almost a decade and in a last ditch effort to avoid work I've been watching demos of some of the new pedal stuff that's been coming out.

I dropped a couple bills for a few new pedals and was really surprised at quality of tone and dollars (I'm perpetually on a tight budget)!

My criteria was pretty simple, I wanted to find things that were a bit uncommon, sounded great, and were cheap...I was amazed I managed to fit the bill!

The mini Tone City pedals have been blowing me away. Super well built and sound amazing. They have an awesome low-gain boost

The other mini wonder was the Mooer ana echo.

I only managed to find one side by side comparison with my favorite delay pedal (the Dm-2).... in japanese

for the princely sum of about 40 bucks each I was able to replicate about 80% of my stage sound.

I've got a few others showing up in the mail, so I'll keep you updated on the weird and wonderful, but in the meantime...

Have you run across anything new and/or awesome?

Mr. Proteus, calling Mr. Proteus. White courtesy phone please.

The Joyo Americana has been a go to for me. Did you ever try that one out, Tim?

Second-hand Rocktron Surf pedal -- compressor and tremolo. Built like a tank in one of those hefty Rocktron cases. Nothing unduly clever about it, but either function sounds good. It also includes a variable Rocktron Hush noise reduction function -- I don't particularly want this so it stays switched off. This pedal is going on my new, secondary 'mini' board along with a Rocktron Austin Gold boost/low gain pedal and a TC Gauss delay, a budget tape echo emulator. It sounds just fine to me -- then again I was brought up on a noisy and rather unreliable Watkins Copicat.

I bought the fender footswitch for my blues jr. Never had one in about 10 years of owning the amp. In all those years I NEVER played with the fat button "on", I always thought it was too much/too hot. But now I've had the footswitch for a couple months and almost always have it "on". For some reason, just having the footswitch made me experiment more with the volume/tone knobs on my guitars to dial in a tone that hopefully resembles a tone I'm in search of. Although I'm not sure I'll ever find that tone, but that's for a different thread.

Second-hand Rocktron Surf pedal -- compressor and tremolo. Built like a tank in one of those hefty Rocktron cases. Nothing unduly clever about it, but either function sounds good. It also includes a variable Rocktron Hush noise reduction function -- I don't particularly want this so it stays switched off. This pedal is going on my new, secondary 'mini' board along with a Rocktron Austin Gold boost/low gain pedal and a TC Gauss delay, a budget tape echo emulator. It sounds just fine to me -- then again I was brought up on a noisy and rather unreliable Watkins Copicat.

– Dave_K

I love finding those old pedals that sound great and are built like a tank.

I've been on such a pedal binge it wouldn't be fair to burden this thread with it. And I'm not quite ready for the Big Reveal anyway. Close. But I'm still subbing and tweaking.

I will say I've found quite a few giddily astonishing pedals.

I've been able to retire about 18 different pedal effects and take advantage of some modern technology. I moved into a Line 6 POD HD500X, computerized Amp Modeling/Effects unit, last year. It has a bit of a learning curve, to be used effectively, but it's overall not too difficult. The 48 second looper is a lot of fun, and very helpful in songwriting. Their is a lot of discussion on which is better, individual pedal effects or a multi-effects unit. For me, the HD500X has worked out quite well, especially since the unit has both 1/4 " and XLR balanced left and right outputs, that can go straight to the sound board, sans-amp.

I scored a Janglebox JB3 for recording ‘lectical 12-strings. My oh my, I get why they’re so popular.

I love the Mooer Ana Echo. Does everything I was looking for.

My brother found the Outlaw Lock Stock & Barrel distortion pedal.....may need to acquire that one. Both are pretty good for mini pedals.

I love the Mooer Ana Echo. Does everything I was looking for.

My brother found the Outlaw Lock Stock & Barrel distortion pedal.....may need to acquire that one. Both are pretty good for mini pedals.

– RustyG

I sent my DM-2 to a tech to be calibrated and needed something in the meantime and with almost no research whatsoever figuring whatever I got wasn't gonna be as good. I genuinely bought it because it's the same color as the boss delays and man was i surprised.

I just swapped out compressors this past week. It was time. I snagged the new(-ish?) Keeley Compressor Plus and it's certainly been an upgrade. My sponsor at CAA (Compression Abusers Anonymous, for the uninitiated) even applauded me because this one has a "Blend" knob.

A bonus of backing down said Blend knob: My fuzz pedal is no longer just a wimpy buzz at the top of my signal chain. It's back to ROARING. Does that count as a two-for-one deal?

I just swapped out compressors this past week. It was time. I snagged the new(-ish?) Keeley Compressor Plus and it's certainly been an upgrade. My sponsor at CAA (Compression Abusers Anonymous, for the uninitiated) even applauded me because this one has a "Blend" knob.

A bonus of backing down said Blend knob: My fuzz pedal is no longer just a wimpy buzz at the top of my signal chain. It's back to ROARING. Does that count as a two-for-one deal?

– Tim Vitullo

Awesome! Kelley makes killer stuff, I’m looking at their spring reverb for one of my next snags.

I got a lightly used Providence Silky Drive.

http://www.providence-ltd.c...

Crazily expensive new, but I paid less than half that. It's an overdrive that doesn't sound fizzy or harsh. I use it mostly 'just' on, i.e.drive between 7.00/9.00. It has level and tone controls which work beautifully, and a gain boost for if I join Def Leppard. Pushes my 5F10 circuit into a nice breakup at low volumes. I've never been so happy with a drive pedal or a gain channel.

I am still married to Boss pedals. I have a Holy Grail Nano attached to both amps on top of them so it really doesn't count and it's always on.

Boss trem, and if I could find a reasonably priced 80s DM-2 delay would go for one of those.I like the way the whole box is the switch. Easy to actuate. I wish they would make a Leslie type pedal in that traditional style case. But that's all I'm into

I am still married to Boss pedals. I have a Holy Grail Nano attached to both amps on top of them so it really doesn't count and it's always on.

Boss trem, and if I could find a reasonably priced 80s DM-2 delay would go for one of those.I like the way the whole box is the switch. Easy to actuate. I wish they would make a Leslie type pedal in that traditional style case. But that's all I'm into

– DCBirdMan

Dm-2 is my favorite pedal. Def worth the extra few bucks.

– DCBirdMan

I love Boss pedals, I was stationed in Belgium (1981-84) when Mr Regan was president of the United States and the dollar hit an all time high. I was getting 18 Belgian Francs per dollar the month I got there, and within a the first year, it sored up to 85 BF/dollar. I took advantage of the high exchange rate, and bought practically the whole Boss lineup at Donfute Music in Frameries Belgium. I particularly like the DD-2 stereo delay, with 2 amplifiers, it gives a cool spacial diversity. As I mentioned above, I'm now mostly using a Line 6 POD HD500X, but I still digress to the Boss pedals now and again, especially at home. There's just something about them (perhaps ease of use) that draws me back.

I wanted a tremolo pedal.

I wanted a good one. I wanted a small one so it would fit on my tiny little pedal board. I wanted one that could switch between a hard and a soft wave.

And most of all I wanted one that was cheap.

I got this for 35 Euros, second hand:

I bought a catalinbread valcoder for tremolo purpose....but it's only usable at low settings before it's goes totally helicopter. BUT, it makes an amazing boost/drive pedal if you back off the tremolo effects

Register Sign in to join the conversation