Miscellaneous Rumbles

What new pedal did you find?

hey all!

I've had pretty much the same pedal board for almost a decade and in a last ditch effort to avoid work I've been watching demos of some of the new pedal stuff that's been coming out.

I dropped a couple bills for a few new pedals and was really surprised at quality of tone and dollars (I'm perpetually on a tight budget)!

My criteria was pretty simple, I wanted to find things that were a bit uncommon, sounded great, and were cheap...I was amazed I managed to fit the bill!

The mini Tone City pedals have been blowing me away. Super well built and sound amazing. They have an awesome low-gain boost

The other mini wonder was the Mooer ana echo.

I only managed to find one side by side comparison with my favorite delay pedal (the Dm-2).... in japanese

for the princely sum of about 40 bucks each I was able to replicate about 80% of my stage sound.

I've got a few others showing up in the mail, so I'll keep you updated on the weird and wonderful, but in the meantime...

Have you run across anything new and/or awesome?

Mr. Proteus, calling Mr. Proteus. White courtesy phone please.

The Joyo Americana has been a go to for me. Did you ever try that one out, Tim?

Second-hand Rocktron Surf pedal -- compressor and tremolo. Built like a tank in one of those hefty Rocktron cases. Nothing unduly clever about it, but either function sounds good. It also includes a variable Rocktron Hush noise reduction function -- I don't particularly want this so it stays switched off. This pedal is going on my new, secondary 'mini' board along with a Rocktron Austin Gold boost/low gain pedal and a TC Gauss delay, a budget tape echo emulator. It sounds just fine to me -- then again I was brought up on a noisy and rather unreliable Watkins Copicat.

I bought the fender footswitch for my blues jr. Never had one in about 10 years of owning the amp. In all those years I NEVER played with the fat button "on", I always thought it was too much/too hot. But now I've had the footswitch for a couple months and almost always have it "on". For some reason, just having the footswitch made me experiment more with the volume/tone knobs on my guitars to dial in a tone that hopefully resembles a tone I'm in search of. Although I'm not sure I'll ever find that tone, but that's for a different thread.

Second-hand Rocktron Surf pedal -- compressor and tremolo. Built like a tank in one of those hefty Rocktron cases. Nothing unduly clever about it, but either function sounds good. It also includes a variable Rocktron Hush noise reduction function -- I don't particularly want this so it stays switched off. This pedal is going on my new, secondary 'mini' board along with a Rocktron Austin Gold boost/low gain pedal and a TC Gauss delay, a budget tape echo emulator. It sounds just fine to me -- then again I was brought up on a noisy and rather unreliable Watkins Copicat.

– Dave_K

I love finding those old pedals that sound great and are built like a tank.

I've been on such a pedal binge it wouldn't be fair to burden this thread with it. And I'm not quite ready for the Big Reveal anyway. Close. But I'm still subbing and tweaking.

I will say I've found quite a few giddily astonishing pedals.

I've been able to retire about 18 different pedal effects and take advantage of some modern technology. I moved into a Line 6 POD HD500X, computerized Amp Modeling/Effects unit, last year. It has a bit of a learning curve, to be used effectively, but it's overall not too difficult. The 48 second looper is a lot of fun, and very helpful in songwriting. Their is a lot of discussion on which is better, individual pedal effects or a multi-effects unit. For me, the HD500X has worked out quite well, especially since the unit has both 1/4 " and XLR balanced left and right outputs, that can go straight to the sound board, sans-amp.

I scored a Janglebox JB3 for recording ‘lectical 12-strings. My oh my, I get why they’re so popular.

I love the Mooer Ana Echo. Does everything I was looking for.

My brother found the Outlaw Lock Stock & Barrel distortion pedal.....may need to acquire that one. Both are pretty good for mini pedals.

I love the Mooer Ana Echo. Does everything I was looking for.

My brother found the Outlaw Lock Stock & Barrel distortion pedal.....may need to acquire that one. Both are pretty good for mini pedals.

– RustyG

I sent my DM-2 to a tech to be calibrated and needed something in the meantime and with almost no research whatsoever figuring whatever I got wasn't gonna be as good. I genuinely bought it because it's the same color as the boss delays and man was i surprised.

I just swapped out compressors this past week. It was time. I snagged the new(-ish?) Keeley Compressor Plus and it's certainly been an upgrade. My sponsor at CAA (Compression Abusers Anonymous, for the uninitiated) even applauded me because this one has a "Blend" knob.

A bonus of backing down said Blend knob: My fuzz pedal is no longer just a wimpy buzz at the top of my signal chain. It's back to ROARING. Does that count as a two-for-one deal?

I just swapped out compressors this past week. It was time. I snagged the new(-ish?) Keeley Compressor Plus and it's certainly been an upgrade. My sponsor at CAA (Compression Abusers Anonymous, for the uninitiated) even applauded me because this one has a "Blend" knob.

A bonus of backing down said Blend knob: My fuzz pedal is no longer just a wimpy buzz at the top of my signal chain. It's back to ROARING. Does that count as a two-for-one deal?

– Tim Vitullo

Awesome! Kelley makes killer stuff, I’m looking at their spring reverb for one of my next snags.

I got a lightly used Providence Silky Drive.

http://www.providence-ltd.c...

Crazily expensive new, but I paid less than half that. It's an overdrive that doesn't sound fizzy or harsh. I use it mostly 'just' on, i.e.drive between 7.00/9.00. It has level and tone controls which work beautifully, and a gain boost for if I join Def Leppard. Pushes my 5F10 circuit into a nice breakup at low volumes. I've never been so happy with a drive pedal or a gain channel.

I am still married to Boss pedals. I have a Holy Grail Nano attached to both amps on top of them so it really doesn't count and it's always on.

Boss trem, and if I could find a reasonably priced 80s DM-2 delay would go for one of those.I like the way the whole box is the switch. Easy to actuate. I wish they would make a Leslie type pedal in that traditional style case. But that's all I'm into

I am still married to Boss pedals. I have a Holy Grail Nano attached to both amps on top of them so it really doesn't count and it's always on.

Boss trem, and if I could find a reasonably priced 80s DM-2 delay would go for one of those.I like the way the whole box is the switch. Easy to actuate. I wish they would make a Leslie type pedal in that traditional style case. But that's all I'm into

– DCBirdMan

Dm-2 is my favorite pedal. Def worth the extra few bucks.

– DCBirdMan

I love Boss pedals, I was stationed in Belgium (1981-84) when Mr Regan was president of the United States and the dollar hit an all time high. I was getting 18 Belgian Francs per dollar the month I got there, and within a the first year, it sored up to 85 BF/dollar. I took advantage of the high exchange rate, and bought practically the whole Boss lineup at Donfute Music in Frameries Belgium. I particularly like the DD-2 stereo delay, with 2 amplifiers, it gives a cool spacial diversity. As I mentioned above, I'm now mostly using a Line 6 POD HD500X, but I still digress to the Boss pedals now and again, especially at home. There's just something about them (perhaps ease of use) that draws me back.

I wanted a tremolo pedal.

I wanted a good one. I wanted a small one so it would fit on my tiny little pedal board. I wanted one that could switch between a hard and a soft wave.

And most of all I wanted one that was cheap.

I got this for 35 Euros, second hand:

I bought a catalinbread valcoder for tremolo purpose....but it's only usable at low settings before it's goes totally helicopter. BUT, it makes an amazing boost/drive pedal if you back off the tremolo effects

hey vince, have you ever tried the catalinbread topenga?

I just got the Gurus Sinusoid. Tube Tremolo and real spring reverb in a pedal. It is good but I’ve not used it enough to decide which I like best. I have two other reverb/trem pedals the Crazy Tube White Whale and Mr Black deluxe deluxe plus. All three are very good.

Both the Gurus and the White Whale have real springs. But the Mr Black is MUCH smaller and MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Haven’t decided which I like best yet.

hey all!

I've had pretty much the same pedal board for almost a decade and in a last ditch effort to avoid work I've been watching demos of some of the new pedal stuff that's been coming out.

I dropped a couple bills for a few new pedals and was really surprised at quality of tone and dollars (I'm perpetually on a tight budget)!

My criteria was pretty simple, I wanted to find things that were a bit uncommon, sounded great, and were cheap...I was amazed I managed to fit the bill!

The mini Tone City pedals have been blowing me away. Super well built and sound amazing. They have an awesome low-gain boost

The other mini wonder was the Mooer ana echo.

I only managed to find one side by side comparison with my favorite delay pedal (the Dm-2).... in japanese

for the princely sum of about 40 bucks each I was able to replicate about 80% of my stage sound.

I've got a few others showing up in the mail, so I'll keep you updated on the weird and wonderful, but in the meantime...

Have you run across anything new and/or awesome?

– Buddy Mercury

the ana echo? holy shit that thing destroys your tone because its made from the cheapest labor and parts on earth. Buy a Boss DM-3.

Register Sign in to join the conversation