Miscellaneous Rumbles

What gear did you play your first gig with?

First gig...1983 or so...don't know of any photos and I hope to God there are no recordings!

Early '70s Roc Jet into a borrowed Musicman 410 amp. No effects.

I can only imagine...

Haha! Similar era to me, Scott. Same thoughts too.

late 80's..maybe 89...high school talent show...used a (preFMIC) Gretsch 6120 w/filtertrons....i think i used a Musicman 112RD...we did one song...Pink Cadillac...and brought the house down....2 girls ran out from the bleachers where the audience was and sandwiched me...which is actually the only thing I remember from high school.

Selmer Zodiac. Bought second hand for 10 quid. From Clement Pianos in Nottingham. Sold it to Boz Boorer. Shoulda woulda coulda kept it

1986 MIJ Strat and a Twin Reverb. I was late to gigging and my gear was much better than I was. Very clean tone though!

1965 ,,,

An "Imperia", Fujigem Teisco Guitar going through a Jensen Amplifier.

Great sounding rig actually :)

I, we ,were only 12 in 1965, playing for my cousin's wedding :)

We were called "The Rising Sons" but had no relation to Taj's band from LA., nor, even knew about it ;)

Then, later in 1966, I graduated to a Fender Bandmaster Piggyback amp with a remote Reverb Unit and a Red Fender Mustang Guitar ,,, :)

(See next photo)

"The Coevils" - 1966

Ended up playing at all our "Jr. High" Dances and private parties :)

It's been a pleasure to see all the "first gig" pictures! Found one, too. Yours, Lefty on the right.

I had a pretty good set-up by the time I played my first show in November of 1984 with an already-popular local band called Coat of Arms at The Living Room in Providence, RI. I was playing a 1967 6120 through a Rickenbacker TranSonic. The amp gave me no end of trouble over time, and I sold it for next to nothing. They're worth thousands now.

First public performance: Piano Recital at my teacher's house --- it was a spinet, don't remember what make. I was 8
First orchestra gig: Fifth grade. Single Bb French Horn, rented, don't remember what make
First rock gig: Cub Scout parody of Beatles; "She Loves You" with new lyrics about scouting. Mismatched drum set of bongos and a toy snare drum, aluminum pie plates for cymbals with Tinkertoy stands
First band gig: Junior High School talent show, played the school's drum kit
First gig featuring original music: Gibson ES-125 and Rhodes Mark 1 Stage Piano through a silverface Fender Bassman

First gig April '59,with a new Esquire and Champ. Here's the earliest gig pic I have,from summer 1960-A friend refinned the Esquire copper.

Another copper Esquire pic,from Christmas 1960

I wouldn't really call it a gig but in reality, a grade school talent show. Older brother and I doing guitar duets. I was in 4th grade, he in 6th. We had matching Harmony H14 Silhouettes (aka BobKats) through a Harmony H303 amp. We played three songs and my older brother got confused during the second one. He stopped and said "we're going to start over." The crowd laughed and i was looking at him like WTF? I think it was just nerves. I never really had nerves. It was everything I could do to keep from dropping my pants and giving the audience something to REALLY to talk about the next day.

First real gig was 73 Telecaster custom through a crappy Peavey 212 solid state cabinet and head. I also had too much alcohol and learned that night that alcohol and playing to your potential do NOT mix.

This would be 1989 or 90. I was 21 or thereabouts. Not my first gig, but probably one of my first paying gigs. My first good guitar, a hardtail '76 Fender Strat (which weighed a ton) through a silverface Twin. Playing the blues (or trying to to), and probably loosening fillings with volume and treble... I shudder to think how bad it must have been. But we got another gig, so it couldn't have been that bad.

I wouldn't really call it a gig but in reality, a grade school talent show. Older brother and I doing guitar duets. I was in 4th grade, he in 6th. We had matching Harmony H14 Silhouettes (aka BobKats) through a Harmony H303 amp. We played three songs and my older brother got confused during the second one. He stopped and said "we're going to start over." The crowd laughed and i was looking at him like WTF? I think it was just nerves. I never really had nerves. It was everything I could do to keep from dropping my pants and giving the audience something to REALLY to talk about the next day.

First real gig was 73 Telecaster custom through a crappy Peavey 212 solid state cabinet and head. I also had too much alcohol and learned that night that alcohol and playing to your potential do NOT mix.

– Jim Austin

Jim, you make a good point about drinking. It's probably a different thread but I think we've all been that 3rd set guy at one time. I know I have.

First guitar was a Sears Silvertone. Amp is long forgotten. Soon replaced by a Rickenbaker 12-string and a Fender Bandmaster. 12-string neck was too narrow, so I traded for the Gibson in the picture that I'm playing (on the right), to the guy on the left playing the Rickenbaker (circa 1968).

This is my Friend Jimmy playing my rig, but I gigged with this guitar & Amp until I'd earned enough money to buy an $80 used Harmony. About a year later, I bought a slightly used '62 Fender Concert Amp.

In 1955, I bought this guitar for about $12, and used it a year or two later for gigging. I can't remember neither the make nor the model.

2004, battle of the bands, we were called "The Louisiana Purchase".

I played a Gibson Faded Les Paul Special TV Yellow with P90s through a Vox Valvetronix AD60VT.

Fortunate Son, Tush (this I dedicated to the drummer's girlfriend), Wipeout, and Let It Be.

The first gig was in 1987 at a Veteran's type of hall in front of a smattering of people. The birth of "Out of Control". I played a red Hondo Deluxe Series 830 (P Bass type) that weighs about 12 pounds. I played thru a Peavey TNT 130 SS amp that weighed 88 lbs. Geez, I lugged that thing around in the back of my '79 Buick Regal for years. I remember several years later "headlining" on a Sunday at a club in Austin and packing that gear up in my Regal at 2:30 am - knowing I had to work at 8 in the morning - and thinking "I'd better get my degree." I still have that old Hondo - now residing on the wall in my cave - that Peavey I had was converted to a cab only with the 15 inch Black Widow speaker and it really rocks.

Register Sign in to join the conversation