Miscellaneous Rumbles

What Would You Like To Know From The NAMM Show?

Yes, we’ve seen it. A lot in the past week, in fact. But the forecast for this week is cloudy sunshine to regular sunshine, in other words, a typical NAMM Show.

I stopped by the Waldorf booth and told them I was a close personal friend of yours ,,and they promptly asked me to leave.

– LA_Manny

HaHa Awesome!

Such as in acoustic guitar building?

– Ric12string

Yes, for example. But also electric guitar fretboards. It just seems like it's been a lot of hullabaloo about rosewood because of the new CITES restrictions last year and it would be interesting to know how guitar companies respond. If there is a response at this point. Just if you happen to notice anything regarding this, and since you asked.

Looking forward to catching up with all the GDPers there!

The MXR Green Day Dookie pedal... Is there a release date?

If anyone is making self threading movie projectors again...

My comments

giffenf--I still want a Bikini doubleneck...

Tell the dudes @ Rickenbacker booth to bring back the 3000 bass.

Also Gib$on: Keep those price$ in check, and please widen the 12 string neck of double neck 1275 to 1 7/8", just for me.

Yes, for example. But also electric guitar fretboards. It just seems like it's been a lot of hullabaloo about rosewood because of the new CITES restrictions last year and it would be interesting to know how guitar companies respond. If there is a response at this point. Just if you happen to notice anything regarding this, and since you asked.

– trumpetman

There certainly is a response. I don't know how that translates to the US market, but for the EU market, a lot of manufacturers have gone to pau ferro, ebony and composite fret boards. Most if not all of Fender's non-american-made electrics have switched to rosewood alternatives, Eastman guitars have gone to ebony on quite a few models, etc...

Just saw an article on the Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster...first NAMM thing to make my news page...

No word from Ric12, did he get snowed in like Proteus did one year? I would have expected some behind-the-scenes updates by now, or at least some cloud pictures. Let’s hope for today.

No word from Ric12, did he get snowed in like Proteus did one year? I would have expected some behind-the-scenes updates by now, or at least some cloud pictures. Let’s hope for today.

– giffenf

He's playing hard to get.

Good ol' cloud pictures. Those were the days.

On first glance, I was determined to hate the Acoustisonic. Looked like yet another update of the old Dano Convertible concept, AND a retread of the Tele-shaped Godin Acousticaster and Carvin AE-185. (Though the Godin hasn't pretended to sound electric, and the Carvin skews toward the electric).

But then I made the mistake of listening to the Acoustisonic demo, and now I think I want one. Fender may finally have found the ideal balance and perfected the concept. Thing sounds great, especially (amplified) acoustically.

Hey now! Give a guy a break. This content doesn't just materialize from nowhere, ya know!

I have some stuff on the way, including trivia quizzes!

Has a line of great-sounding, sturdy, reliable, uncomplicated, user-friendly pedals emerged for under $70.

Has a line of great-sounding, sturdy, reliable, uncomplicated, user-friendly pedals emerged for under $70.

– Jopapa

This is something upon which Proteus can undoubtedly opine without even being at the Show.

How much "traffic" has the Eastman booth had? I've had serious GAS for their centerblock semi-hollow models for the majority of this past year.

.....My buddy would tell you that Eastmen's are now "a guitar of interest" because I don't have the disposable income for a Gibson CS336 (which is #1 on my wish list).

I just received a slew of pictures from the NAMM show, from my Buddy Ian. He's a software developer at Fender headquarters in Scottsdale AZ, and attends every year as part of the Fender team.

There are some great new guitars out this year, as well as tried and true models. What a great show this year is, I'm envious of everyone there.

Can you share a link, Wade?

DCBirdman, here ya go. He’d probably entertain offers, I didn’t see a lot of interest.

Couldn't make it down to the show -- am on a work deadline -- but hope y'all are havin' fun...

NJDevil, the Eastman booth was mobbed every time I went there, and even though the store that provides me the NAMM badge is an Eastman dealer, I couldn’t get anyone’s attention (this is no slight to the Eastman folks, just an indication of how busy they were), nor could I get time on one of the amps in the booth. I do like their guitars a lot, and was hoping to represent by playing them at VLV in April. But when I told Joey C. we’ll be playing there and he said “If you play Gretsch there, I’ll take pictures and promote your band with Gretsch,” well, so much for that. So the Club and the new Setzer will be in attendance and in use at VLV 2019 on Saturday afternoon in the Bienville Room.

Register Sign in to join the conversation