Miscellaneous Rumbles

What do you reckon She’ll go for? (Les Paul #1)

First production Les Paul.

Call it patina or mojo; this guitar has it.

Auction [Link]()

Tried to add a video in an edit to my original post. Messed the whole thing up.

Including buyer's premium it went for $930,000US.

Les called it his "#1", but there's some debate as to whether this was a prototype, or the first one off the line, or just way early production. Les did a lot of mods on it.

It's a heavily modded early production guitar. Not the first ine, not a proto

That guitar inspired me to put a Dyna in the neck slot of a P90 Lester. Beautiful sound.

That guitar inspired me to put a Dyna in the neck slot of a P90 Lester. Beautiful sound.

– charlie chitlins

Do ya think Eddie Cochran would approve?

It's a heavily modded early production guitar. Not the first ine, not a proto

– WB

I’m not so sure, Walter. This seems to suggest it’s the Artist’s Proof, and the very one Les signed the project off on.

Maybe a bit later than a prototype, but this piece suggests it wasn’t yet a production model at this point.

With all due respect to Mr. Doyle, I would take anything he has to say about something he's auctioning with a grain of salt. Based on the factually dubious (and that's putting it mildly) hype he drummed around the "Black Beauty" and "Dark Eyes" guitars, he's not a very rigorous guitar historian, at least not when there's money in it.

What Afire said - It's Tom Doyle's, and he has a track record of over-hyping guitars he's selling

Register Sign in to join the conversation