Miscellaneous Rumbles

What classic 12-bar R’n’R song is in C?

Random question I know, but I need the title of a classic 50's type rock'n'roll song that was recorded in the key of C without me having to go through my records to find one.

If you have one off the top o' your head it'd be a great help. Nothing obscure, I need something EVERYBODY will know and likely be able to sing along with.

"Hound Dog" as recorded by Elvis Presley/Scotty Moore was in the key of C.

That always surprised me -- Scotty's rhythm playing and solos sounded totally like the key of E in my head..... (Who cares what key the singer needs, right.....??)

IIRC Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes.

Beatles' Slow Down is in C. I don't know what key the original is in.

Quite a few of the piano-based ones are, check Jerry Lee, Little Richard and Fats Domino come to mind. Chuck Berry too, his bandleader was a piano player.

I learned the Kingsmen's "Money" in C. Like Walter said, C is a common piano key that Works well with guitarists, too. It's all white keys.

Run, Rudolph, Run - Chuck Berry

Red Hot - Billy Lee Riley (or is it just the Setzer version that's in C?)

It's not strictly 12 bar, but La Bamba is in C

Kansas City

Great Balls of Fire is in C, but it's not a 12 bar structure

http://songkeyfinder.com/so...

– RichB555

I don't know if I'd trust the accuracy of this listing too much. Who learned "House of the Rising Sun" in C? Most everyone I know plays it in A.

ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" and it's on the list. Sounds great when I play it on my Black Phoenix!

Thanks everyone, your input is very much appreciated.

Slim, HOTRS is in Am, which is relative to C. No black notes, so it could be kinda regarded as C...at a stretch.

If I remember right, Alan Price, the Animals keyboard player arranged their version of "House of the Rising Sun" in A minor.......the relative minor of the key of C.

Chuck Berry's "Promised Land" is in C. Not quite from the 50s (1964) but one of the few Chuck 12-Bar songs in C. "Little Queenie" is another (1958).

Frankie Ford's "Sea Cruise" is in C.

Thanks everyone, your input is very much appreciated.

Slim, HOTRS is in Am, which is relative to C. No black notes, so it could be kinda regarded as C...at a stretch.

– Deke Martin

Kinda relative, yes. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The thing about HOTRS that really bugs me s that when oldies stations play it, they always cut the organ solo and ending down to nothing. As a keyboard player, I'm irked. I learned that song 50+ years ago and can still play the solo and ending straight thru.

"Just Because" from the Sun Sessions is in C

I don't know if I'd trust the accuracy of this listing too much. Who learned "House of the Rising Sun" in C? Most everyone I know plays it in A.

– wabash slim

House is in Ami which is the relative minor for the key of C so it is actually in C.

Hey Slim, I can boogie and I can woogie on the keyboards and yes C is an easy one, all the white keys and the black ones seem to be in all the right places for my hands, where as Freebird I think was played in E flat er ??? I think from the One More From the Road album. At least that was where I had to learn it on the piano, it helped that it is almost the exact progression as the Beatles Let it be, that we played in C because I had to sing it. if you get back to the blues greats you can find recordings all over the place of the same song played in different keys, E, A, D, and C seemed to favorites of Dixon and most of his crowd. I think that any song was usually crafted around the singers range and where he or she felt comfortable.

All of them, if you play them in C.

– wabash slim

(Slim- now you know someone who plays it in Dm to suit the tenor's voice)

House is in Ami which is the relative minor for the key of C so it is actually in C.

– Pt

Exactly this. Come on, cielski, you know that your key of A is really the key of C.

All of them, if you play them in C.

– Billy Zoom

Exactly this.

Register Sign in to join the conversation