Miscellaneous Rumbles

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Time to see what the good folks here are reading.

Mine:

"The Battle For Bond"

The book deals with a 1960s court case over who holds the rights to...wait for it....THUNDERBALL. This book has been out for a few years. I'm a Bond fanatic, but never really interested in that legal stuff so I always passed on this book. I put it on my Christmas list as a what-the-hey, received it as a gift, and started reading it. The reviews all said it is one of thee best books dealing with Hollywood and the people in Hollywood. The reviews were right. Cut-throat, stubborn, conniving, greedy...it is all in this book. It truly is a fascinating look at the business side of filmmaking (it also does cover the writing side and actual film craft of Hollywood, too). Great read. For those of you who think you know about THUNDERBALL, well, unless you've read this book, you don't know THUNDERBALL. This book captures just how interesting, entertaining and great THUNDERBALL really is.

(No joke, I am reading this book presently.)

I read a few over the holidays: Springsteen's autobiography, which was interesting, even if you aren't necessarily a super fan. I also finished a few thousand pages of The Walking Dead (I bought compendiums 1-3), which was fun, but became more than a little repetitive in terms of plot and theme.

Currently, I am reading "TInseltown," which is about a Hollywood murder in the 1920's. I really like it, and it makes an entertaining expose of the begiinning of the Hollywood studio system (murder, morphine and momey, according to the tagline).

I picked up Robbie Robertson's book, too, but haven't started it yet (it's called "Testimony").

I'm contractually obliged to tell you that I'm reading Spirit Walker by Michelle Paver. This book captures just how interesting, entertaining and great Spiritwalker really is.

(Joke, I am not reading this book presently)

Jolly japery notwithstanding, that Thunderball book looks terrific. I knew there must have been something up because of the non-canon existence of Never Say Never Again but thought no more of it. Hollywood sharp practice is fascinating. There's a great article about the making of The Godfather, which was ostensibly a film about the mafia, but battled royally the machinations of the movie business. It's called The Godfather Wars, a dazzling read-

http://www.vanityfair.com/n...

Right now, my genuine book is 'Raven' by Tim Reiterman and John Jacobs. The story of Rev Jim Jones and Peoples Temple, it concerns a tragedy that has since become something of a one line joke. It's a remarkable book.

Reverb, you've got some serious reading going on there. Wade away!

Reverb, you've got some serious reading going on there. Wade away!

– ade

My gift and curse is that I am not a great sleeper. Many nights I'm awake until the early hours reading...beats staring at the ceiling!

I finished Tig Notaro's autobiography and it was... it was pretty heavy. That girl has had a rough few years. She's still one of my favorite comedians.

Now I'm reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck," which is an interesting perspective/philosophy book.

I'm also working through the Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtle comics. I read the first Walking Dead Comendium before the year ended and thought it was good but didn't want to read any more. I thought the cliffhanger was actually a good stopping point and you're right: it was getting repetitive.

The wife bought me "Play It Loud" the history of the electric guitar for our anniversary. It is a good read!

"Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" is next in line. I'm halfway thru "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead"--- the Warren Zevon bio. Before that Mel Brooks' "Making of Young Frankenstein". I also read a lot with my 5YO grandson tho it isn't too intellectually stimulating. I've always been an avid reader.

13 days in September Carter, Begin and Sadat at Camp David. A little light reading before a Rock Legends cruse to MX. Thanks John

My seven year old brought this book it's 14 x18x1 1/2 inches he can barely lift it but he loves it.

Right now -- "Born to Run" (Springsteen). Speaking of James Bond..... I read all the original Ian Fleming James Bond books last summer.

I read a lot. However my criteria for "fine literature" entails someone dying of very unnatural causes in the first 10-20 pages.........

Bond By Design is just beautiful, beautiful work. Where to begin with the amazing artistry and imagination in that book. The Bond novels are great too.

The Jonestown book is so dark, every page is a new revelation in mind control. And there were some very smart people being manipulated. The writer was one of the journalists who accompanied Congressman Ryan to visit the colony on that last day. It's a shocking nightmare.

Peanuts. Snoopy makes me laugh. Schulz was a genius.

Really enjoying the Bond diversion tonight. In the spirit of this Fleming-flavoured cultural exchange, here is the Spassky v Bronstein chess game used in From Russia With Love. Mato Jelic gives swift and incisive commentary and he sounds like Dracula. Bonus.

Peanuts. Snoopy makes me laugh. Schulz was a genius.

– UncleGrumpy

Now THAT was an interesting biography!

I read all the original Ian Fleming James Bond books last summer. - senojnad

Favorites? Least favorites? I am interested.

The Jonestown book is so dark, ....It's a shocking nightmare.

You know that is such recent history that a documentary would actually do it better justice than a book. In fact, there is a documentary I saw a few years ago that was incredibly well done. So horrifying. No book could ever do justice to the actual seeing of Jones in action and the visual sight of all the corpses.

PBS Jonestown documentary. The best I've seen by some margin.

I think my favourite Bond novel is Moonraker. Least favourite is The Spy Who Loved Me.

The short stories though, they are the absolute business.

The current non-fiction book is 'Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink', the excellently written Elvis Costello autobiography.

For fiction (and I'm never sure if this is a good thing to do, or not) I've been re-reading books I last read 20 or 30 years ago -- a couple of Graham Greene, some Evelyn Waugh and, at the moment, 'The Napoleon of Notting Hill' by G K Chesterton, a quite remarkable entertainment written in 1904 but set in 1980s England.

I never learned to read well. Lots of words I have to sound out and I loose interest. Guitar became my friend at a young age and I lost the frustration to read. Spell chek is my friend too.

Slickfaster, have you tried an audiobook? The act of reading is not pleasurable or even possible for many, but literature can still be enjoyed.

Here's a reading of a Bond short story collection. Brisk, compact stories to enjoy-

DaveK, an interesting conundrum on whether or not to revisit old favourite books. Almost without exception, whenever I've done it it's been a great journey.

I read all the original Ian Fleming James Bond books last summer. - senojnad

Favorites? Least favorites? I am interested.

– Spiritwalker

Favorites -- "Goldfinger" and "From Russia With Love" (even though the unthinkable happens at the end....)

Least Favorite -- Probably "The Spy Who Loved Me".

The Man in the High Castle...

Also in progress for some time: (1) Coolidge by Amity Shales; (2) The Man Who Saved the Union: Ulysses S. Grant in War and Peace by H.W. Brands.

I have a bucket list goal of reading the biographies of every United States President. Helps gives an understanding of the specific time period in the micro and a history of the United States overall in the macro. If you have a hard time reading historical non-fiction, try H.W. Brands, Professor of History at UT - Austin. He is a great storyteller and writes for the general public, not other professors. Having said that, it does not mean that it is dumbed-down either.

Radio host Dennis Prager once said if you have to read something more than twice and you still don't understand it, it is probably a writer problem, not a reader problem. I tend to agree.

Finally, my high school Freshman informed me that he will be reading Animal Farm and 1984 for English class later this spring. Think I might pick those up so I can engage in dinner table discussion with him. Strangely enough this kid of the '80's was assigned Brave New World (same themes and ideas) in high school, but neither of Orwell's classics.

Here, There and Everywhere - Geoff Emerick. Interesting perspective on the Beatles.

Register Sign in to join the conversation