Miscellaneous Rumbles

What are you listening to right now??

Includes reggae remakes of some classic 70's soul --- Rock the Boat, You Make Me Feel Brand New, T.S.O.P., Some Guys Have All The Luck, Blame It On The Sun, When Will I See You Again --- plus reggae classics from Jacob Miller and the Fat Man Riddim Section.

Discovered a seriously multitalented young man on yootoob---Check out Josh Turner,

Scorpions - Love At First Sting album,currently I'm Leaving You.

Back in the early '60s I was hooked by the guitar/organ/drums trio idea (sometimes a bass added for a quartet), particularly the stuff on Blue Note, and I've remained hooked ever since. Concord has kept the flag flying and I play this Jimmy Bruno/Joey de Francesco album a lot. Great playing all round -- and it swings like the clappers.

The Shadows - Greatest Hits,currently Peace Pipe.

Happy Birthday Hank!

Listening to a number of versions of "softly, as I leave you softly" trying to remember the one we listened to in the late 60s. The one my wife used to sing to the kids when she was trying to sneak out of their room quietly at bedtime!

Now she's in the hospital 45 miles away, and I imagine in my mind that she's singing it to me.

Back in the early '60s I was hooked by the guitar/organ/drums trio idea (sometimes a bass added for a quartet), particularly the stuff on Blue Note, and I've remained hooked ever since. Concord has kept the flag flying and I play this Jimmy Bruno/Joey de Francesco album a lot. Great playing all round -- and it swings like the clappers.

– Dave_K

Well, that's the shizznit right there! Thanks for posting, Dave --- I'm gonna have to find more Jimmy Bruno. Joey D is Da Man for Hammond --- I've seen hm live and have lotsa CD's with him playing, but I didn't know about Jimmy Bruno!

Parabar: lots of Jimmy Bruno on YouTube, including instruction videos. And his recording of Giant Steps is just "ooee, heads down, see you at the end!"

For some Hammond wizardry, look up Barbara Dennerlein's Youtube video of Jimmy's Walk, her tribute to Mr Smith. It's a live duo performance, just Hammond and drums. They get a great groove going -- and she can out-dance Fred Astaire on those bass pedals.

Johnny Marr - Playland album,track one Back In The Box.

Austin City Limits: 50 years of Asleep at the Wheel: A Retrospective---They were on the first ACL and keep on going!

Thanks, PBS!

Ian McNabb -Our Future In Space album,currently Medicated Emma.

A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols - King's College Choir

Link Been nonstop on my daily listening for the past month. If you dig your jazz on the bluesy side,buy this now ! Not a bad note anywhere,

The Easybeats - Easy album,currently Easy Beat,no wait,it's now You'll Come Back Again.

Texas - Ricks Road album,currently Beautiful Angel.

Happy Birthday Sharleen !

Register Sign in to join the conversation