Miscellaneous Rumbles

What are you listening to right now??

Irish, but traditional: Planxty, The Woman I Loved So Well. Soothing sounds, in these brutal times. My favourite track is perhaps Johnny of Brady's Lea.

been on an Airplane kick since Marty Balin died.

got a copy of this for $1 at the shop yesterday.

The badass organ master previously with Tower of Power and Santana:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers the first album,currently Fooled Again (I Don't Like It).

I'm not sure whether this lady has been the topic of any historical conversation on this forum. I just 'discovered' her last night. She died in 1996; well before she became famous...... Amazing feel in her music. How did she ever stay off my radar so long? Better late than never, I guess.

The Undertones - Get Over You

i've been on a total Jefferson Airplane kick since Marty Balin died. i just got a copy of Volunteers, which i hadn't owned in years, and that's been getting caned rigorously along with Long John Silver and Thirty Seconds Over Winterland.

Tony Joe White - Lake Placid Blues

RIP Sir.

i've been on a total Jefferson Airplane kick since Marty Balin died. i just got a copy of Volunteers, which i hadn't owned in years, and that's been getting caned rigorously along with Long John Silver and Thirty Seconds Over Winterland.

– macphisto

Me too, although I've never especially been a fan of the Papa John Creach era Airplane. To me Volunteers is the last Airplane studio album, but there are some really good live CD's out from the Volunteers era and before. I'm especially being knocked out by Jack Casady's bass playing --- even more than back in the day.

I've given Baron Von Tollbooth a couple of recent spins and found it stands up. I'm hearing different stuff than I did years ago - among them, Grace's weird and unique sliding descant harmonies. (Makes me wonder what she and Robert Plant might have combined in their young primes.) But there's a lot of good work on the album. "Harp Tree Lament" is gorgeous; one could hear how the Dead and CSN would have done their own interesting takes on it.

I suppose to finish the overview, I should re-hear Long John Silver, Bark, Sunfighter, and Grace's Manhole, and see what I think all these years later. Of early Airplane, the first album is packed full of peanuts, then Baxters is spotty - but sports some atonal free-form improv and the beautiful "ReJoyce," which would make the album if everything else was dreck. Crown of Creation, though, is fine throughout - maybe the band's most "professional" work.

I always enjoyed Casady - along with Jack Bruce and Entwhistle one of the first bass players who stood out to me from the background of the music (in the days before we had Beatles re-masters which actually let us hear McCartney's parts). But the whole rhythm section, Kanter included, swings mightily in a loping ponderous way I enjoy - like agrarian machines marching in formation and mowing down everything in their path.

it was Casady that made me want to play stringed instruments in the first place. i heard "Somebody to Love" on the radio and went "WOW."

i was talking with a co-worker about the Airplane today and said that one of the things i really like about them is how each voice and instrument is independent, like components of a framework around a large open space.

i've also been struck by how often the piano is pivotal to their arrangements. it's particularly prominent on Volunteers because Nicky Hopkins is on the piano bench, but part of his genius there is how he adapts/adopts Grace's block chord style as the base of the arrangements.

i'm going to wind up re-acquiring a bunch more of that stuff ...i haven't heard Sunfighter or Tollbooth since i had a vinyl collection, and that was the mid-1990s. i loved that music a whole bunch when it was new, and it's been quite fun rediscovering it again.

Great stuff, never seen a bass player do that before either ! I have been listenng to Thumbs Carlille

A very sweet Tiny Desk Concert, perfect for a rainy Saturday.

Cautionary warning for the accordion content . . .

So I found myself watching an interview with Marty Friedman (ex Megadeth) who apparently is some sort of a TV-personality in Japan. In this interview he mention this band, Maximum The Hormone that he liked. So I thought I'd check 'em out.

And here we have it; a mix of Slipknot with early Chili Peppers, infused with Rancid and a hint of Baby Metal. Don't ya just love Japan for their weird, wonderful and wacky stuff?

i've become somewhat obsessed with The Fall lately. for those unfamiliar, the Fall were one of the most important, if little-known, UK post-punk bands, and had a 40-year run under the whip of one Mark E. Smith (if you can attribute a "run" to a band which literally had over 60 members pass through the ranks, some more than once). he was married in the 80s to American singer/guitarist Brix Smith (nee Laura Salenger; dubbed "Brix" by her college friends because she so loved the Clash's "The Guns of Brixton"), who wrote "Hotel Bloedel" and a number of other songs/collabs with MES before their extremely ugly split. in the last few years Brix has returned to music after many years' layoff, and now fronts a band largely composed of ex-Fall members called Brix and the Extricated. so here's The Fall's original version of "Hotel Bloedel"--which is a Brix song from her college days called "One More Time For The Record" to which MES only added some narration--along with the Extricated version. i may actually like the Extricated version better. here also is a perhaps more typical Fall track from their best-rated record, This Nation's Saving Grace.

Register Sign in to join the conversation