Miscellaneous Rumbles

Well whadayaknow? Carrots never used to be orange!

Arby's offers a sandwich stacked with four species of meat - as well a deep-fried turkey sandwich. - Proteus

I think the real pinnacle of Arby's offering had to be the pork belly sandwich.

And yet you can get a perfectly sane turkey gyro at the same drive-thru window...

And shouldn't we mention that ubiquitous staple corn (which never used to be extruded into everything as a high-sugar syrup), hot dogs, baloney, and mac-n-cheese?

Alas, despite knowing better, I still find tortilla chips and Fritos the best form of corn, and enjoy occasional Kraft mac-n-cheese and a baloney sandwich with mustard and ketchup. (Turkey bologna is fine).

I'm sure I've eaten hot dogs made of everything a packer could suck up off the killing floor, but I try to stay away now. When I succumb, it's for Hebrew National, Nathan's Famous, or Five Guys.

Had White Castle once in Minneapolis (fantastic city). Girlfiend just had to have them, a big nostalgia thing. They sorta tasted good but very fatty, way too greasy. I had two, maybe three of the little bombs and thought I could get the taste and texture of the grease out of my mouth with a big gulp of ice tea. Big Mistake. The stuff congealed to a thick goo in my mouth and throat. Yecchh. Never again.

For healthy veg try raw corn on the cob; you'll never want it heated again.

Best form of sweet corn is fresh from the field. Soak the ears in water for half an hour, then throw 'em on the grill till the leaves are black. Shuck, butter and salt, and you're on your way to heaven. Fresh from the garden veggies are the best.

I've had Wipe Castles twice---never again. I love greasy spoon burgers, but those onion bomb sliders are the work of the Devil. We had a White Tower in town when I was a kid. Like Proteus said, going out to a restaurant was a rare treat. When I was 11, in '61, we got our first McDonalds. A burger, fries and a malt was called an All-American and went for 45 cents. The sign said 20 million served. No seats---you walked up to the window, then took your stuff back to the car. One greasy spoon we'd go to was in an old train car out by the airport called Chili Mac's.

Arby's is serving farm grown venison. I'll stick with the beef. I'd also like to know why all of their soda tastes like Dr. Pepper. I've had most fast food burgers, and I'll stick with Steak n Shake. 5 Guys is pretty good, too, but I have to go thru the campus construction zone to get there. My biggest food gripes are that I can't get a good Chicago style deep dish pizza, or any Polish soul food here.

travelling on a greyhound bus across the States...

OK, well this just popped out at me. While a time-honored and certainly colorful (from a dull, limited palette) way to see the USA, travel by Greyhund doesn't show us at our best.

It's also, I think, a bit past its sell-by date. I have the impression that in its heyday, from the 30s to the 70s maybe, Greyhound travel would expose you to a decent cross-section of society (excepting the upperest of crusts of COURSE) - and you'd also debark in decent areas of town, with access to genuinely local food and shopping. Not so much now.

Same degeneration has attended train travel in the US, more's the pity. Should be grand and glorious - it's hard to hurt the scenery, and the opportunity for get-up-and-walk-around mixing with fellow travelers is unbeatable - but Amtrak, starved by the government, seems to do everything in its power to make it miserable.

Nor are the freeways best, unless you just have to get there the quickest way possible on the ground.

Good two-lane highways in your own comfortable vehicle, with plenty of time to take in side-expeditions, that's the way to see the USA. (Doesn't have to be a Chevrolet...)

Ideally 200 - 300 miles a day, or even less.

I didn't grow up in White Castle territory, so no nostalgia for me. First time I had those sliders was in my mid 20s. I'm not averse to lowbrow, greasy, cheap food in any way, shape or form. But they're just plain disgusting.

Ha! My Dad used to love those Vienna sausages and Braunschweiger, which at the time, I would snack along with him. I can't stomach either one these days. He used to eat pickled pigs feet too. AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Those looked so nasty, just forget it. My Mom would eat gifelte fish. equally as nasty, to me. I will never even try those last two things. NO WAY!!

Funny you mention Arby's. I went in there a few weeks ago because they had these special sandwiches with BACON and the bacon was very thick and slathered in this sweet concoction. Oh just lovely. The absolute best BLT I ever had. So I went in the next week to get another. I look up at their menu and it's not there anymore. So I ask the girl, Hey, what happened to the BLT you had last week? She says, Oh we change things up quite often. I seriously looked at her and said NOOOOOOOooooooo, Whyyyyy? That thing was amazing. She then says, well you can get bacon on any of our sandwiches, just ask. I said,you know, this place just became my favorite place for lunch.

Someone mentioned baby carrots. Fun fact...those are actually full size carrots whittled down to bite size pieces. You probably knew that though.

Dave. You know the doctor-recommended lifetime allowance of bacon is none, right?

Now you're talking nonsense.

I've had White Castle once, and I was nauseous for five, six hours.

I've had some fantastic food in the US. My wife, and I think she's right to an extent, refers to American cuisine (even though she likes a lot of it) as "kiddie food in portions too big for grownups". I like the US version of Italian food a lot, but it isn't Italian food - it's ridiculously rich, sweet, creamy, salty comfort food with an Italian accent. Love Tex-Mex and US Mexican food too, but again, it's sort of like Mexican food with the stuff that kids don't like left out. I love all of it though, and I'm lucky I don't live in the US, because I can't resist any of it, I'd be morbidly obese and gone before I'm 60.

I have a second 4 food groups or adjuncts, that are among the best, albeit not unfortunately, regarded as healthy: bacon, butter, salt & cream. Not many foods in the world aren't made more tasty by the addition of one or more of these.

Now having said that, no I don't indulge in much if any of them on a regular basis but on occasion I break away from my daily routine and enjoy. Things that are 'bad' for us needs to be qualified in that occasional partaking isn't the healthy hazard that constant use creates.

I'm enjoying hearing from those that eat as many vegetables as possible raw. Most everyday I make an elaborate 20oz smoothie - no wastage, everything totally broken up - and a salad with many raw veggies. I rarely cook veggies, occasionally steaming some or lightly cooking a variety in a stir fry. This healthy regimen allows me to BBQ a steak with potato now and the and not feel guilty.

BTW, I'd put my smoothie recipe up against any nutritionist's anywhere. The only improvement I could make would be to increase the volume slightly by adding a couple of ingredients I leave out, having the salad as well. If it was the only thing I ate I could survive on it.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned two incredibly disturbing meat by-products...

Souse is like the king "aspic" of pork products... without the lime jello...

Speaking of meat by-products, I'm surprized no one has mentioned In-N-Out-Burger in the discussion of fast food fare. When I moved to CA years ago I was told by many to make sure I had some. I did and found them insipid at best, a truly underwhelming food and waste of money. Decided to BBQ my own instead when I needed a burger fix.

Souze, that's German "Head Cheese".

Delicious, as in Delicatessen!

Another German vocabulary word for all to consider... Charcuterie at its finest.

I used to think bacon was a wonderfully rich, intense flavour. Then I discovered chorizo! To me chorizo tastes like bacon distilled a few times. A little goes a long way.

We travelled from Dallas to New Orleans, then up though Tennessee and DC to Toronto and then back down to NYC all on the Greyhounds in 1988. It sure was eye-opening. Driving into places like Baton Rouge on a bus is something I will never forget - I thought we had skipped right past the USA and entered a 3rd world country. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but in a shocked way. We sure saw some stuff and it was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat but I am so glad we did it when we were young. Stuff you never see on TV. Tennessee was nothing like what we expected - I'm sure it has changed but it seemed very, very scary back then.

Food-wise the highlight was without doubt New Orleans. Some of the best pasta and sandwiches (po-boys) ever! Crazy that you could have the most sublime food one minute, then try a moon-pie. Surreal.

I've always enjoyed Soylent Green, which is funny because I'm not normally a people person.

I'm not a fan of whitecastle sliders because we have our own hometown version that I prefer. They have been around since before I could drive. Once I could drive, a friend and I would go to the liquor store and get a 40 and a go to the Burger Bank for a dozen .25 burgers. Then we would cruise for girls. Hey, different times. Never said I didn't do anything stupid. Burger bank still has those sliders but I think their .80 ea now. I still stop and get 8 - 10 for the guys at practice on the way to the bandroom, occasionally.

Burger Bank! I didn't know about it. I'll try it next time in Evansville, Dave.

I've only been in the area since 1989 - but I did get to experience Sir Beef and a fish place operating out of what seemed a converted house in a residential neighborhood just on the other side of the Lloyd from downtown. Don't remember the name. Fried fish (of course), and the guy made his own thick potato chips.

Those places were trash food, I guess - but good every once in awhile.

Oh don't get me started on Sir Beef. We loved that place, even when mice would run between our legs at lunch, shortly before they shut down. That fish place wouldn't be the cross eyed cricket, would it? Or maybe Lamasco's.

Well, getting hyper-local, how about the Mexican restaurant-in-a-house in Mariah Hill, between Dale and Santa Claus?

Must have had lax zoning, as I swear the parking lot was a load of gravel dumped in the yard. Only Mexican we could find in the area when we moved here, and a rare experience. Always dark, always packed. Every little room in the house was a dining room; we usually ended up in the double-dark basement. Everyone who recommended it said to ignore the vermin and roaches, just enjoy the extra protein and texture.

Shut down long ago now. When we moved here, locals also strongly recommended The Chicken Place in Ireland. We ate there once. You can tell how long it's been since they changed their fry oil just by rolling your window down when you drive into town (if the wind isn't coming across the pig farm at the time).

Fish place might have been Lamasco's. I don't care for cricket.

Fwiw last time I was in NYC we had some incredible tacos (soft tacos) at a little hole in the wall place in the lower east side not far from Katz's. Cooked by Mexicans, eaten by Aussies. Best tacos I have ever had and about 1/3 of what anything comparable would cost here. We had christmas lunch at Katz's next to THAT table and it was fab/crap in all the best ways. New York is a strange place - We love it!

Register Sign in to join the conversation