Miscellaneous Rumbles

Weird question about old vinyl….

So there are at least two albums I've been looking for that were never released on CD or MP3.... I've not owned a turntable since 1991, and don't have a CD recorder. I don't even have my vinyl anymore, it all ended up in a landfill outside Fort Meade after I retired, in my rush to un-ass the area.

One album is the soundtrack to the movie "More American Grafitti" (1979) - an important album for me (a) for Wolfman Jack and (b) for piquing my interest that there was more to great 60s music than just the Beatles. It was my first Dylan on vinyl. And Zombies. And Cream..... It is not even on YouTube in its entirety - I have all the songs in my collection, but its not the same with out some of the Wolfman intros! This album is different from another album called "More American Graffitti," which was a great sequel to the original 1974 album and contained more 50's music - and Wolfman.

The other is an album I had on cassette way back when "That's the Way I Feel Now: A Tribute to Thelonius Monk" - had a lot of names on the album, but was surprised that it never made it to CD.

Anyway - anyone aware of any resources out there I'm not aware of for rare vinyl in digital form?

Cheers

B6

There are quite a few online sources specializing in old vinyl. Some of the surviving brick-and-mortar stores also do a lot of internet and mail order business. You might have to track down and buy the vinyl, then have someone burn it onto CD for you. I know of some sources that will make a digital copy for you if you buy the vinyl record.

Here's a place to start. The owner is a guy named Barry, and among his specialties is classic jazz and early rock and R&B. If you talk to him, he may be able to track them down for you.

Red Devil Records
894 4th Street
San Rafael, CA 94901
(415) 457-8999

Good luck with your search!

One album is the soundtrack to the movie "More American Grafitti" (1979) - an important album for me (a) for Wolfman Jack and (b) for piquing my interest that there was more to great 60s music than just the Beatles. Buffalosix

Sadly, I can't help you locate this album, but it was the very first album that I owned. I was about twelve years old, and the movie American Graffiti was playing in the cinemas. The following Christmas, my parents gave me a small HiFi set, and the soundtrack album to American Graffiti.

My favorite song on the album was the 1958 song by The Silhouettes "Get a Job". "deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom Get a Job sha na na na sha na na na na.....

The whole album is loaded with very cool songs. I can understand why you would like to have it on the original vinyl. Good luck with your search.

Thanks all - really what I'm looking for is who I can give money to that can get me digital copies of these albums. I appreciate the idea about places that will provide you a digital copy if you buy the original LP - makes the most sense from a copyright standpoint. Wade - actually the first cassette I ever got with my first radio/cassette player was American Graffiti when I was about 8 years old - the original with all of the 50s numbers. I still give all of those particular oldies a special preference for sentimental reasons...

B6

Register Sign in to join the conversation