Miscellaneous Rumbles

Way OT: “The Queen’s Gambit”

We're enjoying Queen's Gambit - but really the story and the character studies more than the look, decor, art direction, or mid-century style.

It's all accurate enough, with sufficient attention made to harmonized (hah!, so to speak) color palettes, and so far nothing has stood out as anachronistically out of place. (Though I wonder about the generally hideous pastiche of wallpapers in the adoptive home. I sure remember wallpaper, but at least in my mid-century experience, that profusion - confusion of colors and patterns in one confined era is pretty anomalous.)

It's a subdued and muted, though, especially by comparison to the riotous and obsessively, hilariously bright and coordinated colors of Ratched. (Or is that just the difference between cinematic perceptions of Kentucky and California? When I remember the 60s, just north of Kentucky in Ohio, I most recall bright technicolor days.)

And for me, still, the gold standard in 60s style reverence - near fetish - is Mad Men. Might be time to watch it again.

“Queens Gambit” is brilliant...“Ratched” is just some sick shit....

Once I realized Ratched was a camp thriller unlike TQG I began to enjoy it more.

We just watched The Queen's Gambit in one sitting last night. Thanks for the recommendation. We loved it.

Was going to make a post about it. I binged it, then binged it with my wife who knows nothing about chess and she enjoyed it.

I play chess decently, but I'm only at the level where I'd have to start studying to improve and that ruins it for me. Therefore my Chess.com rating has gone down significantly with the influx in new players.

I specifically loved it bc it was the only thing my dad and I could do without fighting (and he was a guitar teacher!). However, I agree with Bobby Fischer, that chess has lost it's passion, it's wit and cunning and is just a bunch of the same games played over and over. With all the studying and computer AI algorithms, it knows every game ever played and every possible move. Chess "theory" really started with Paul Morhpy who you heard them reference in the series and since then the highest level players are only repeating already played games.

I read this was written to be the girl version of Searching For Bobby Fischer which is another outstanding movie even if you aren't into Chess.

I enjoy a game of chess too Shane. Heartily agree that too much theory spoils the fun of the game. I love Paul Morphy's games, especially the series against Thomas Wilson Barnes who was about the only player of that time that could really bring it on against him. Barnes was a really exciting, swashbuckling opponent. Still got a thumping though.

If you ever fancy a game, let me know. I'm about 900 on there, so quite crushable.

I was just under 900 when I set up my account years ago and played every once in awhile. However, I've been playing quite a bit lately and the influx of good players bc of TQG has dropped my rating to 500ish! I can't believe it. It could also be the all the pills ;)

I'm also finding and getting bored with opponents always opening or defending with the exact same move for 20 games in a row.

I'm "shaniac" if you can look me up and be friends with me there. I've never accessed if they have it, just played strangers.

I'll do that Shane- a friend add from a very suspicious Marconigram will be coming your way.

I'll do that Shane- a friend add from a very suspicious Marconigram will be coming your way.

– ade

Done. Gotta run now, but jump on sometime and we'll play.

Chess "theory" really started with Paul Morhpy who you heard them reference in the series and since then the highest level players are only repeating already played games.

Without thinking about it too carefully, that seems inevitable. I suppose that makes the skill more about vocabulary and recognition than creativity. But still quite a skill.

Chess "theory" really started with Paul Morhpy who you heard them reference in the series and since then the highest level players are only repeating already played games.

Without thinking about it too carefully, that seems inevitable. I suppose that makes the skill more about vocabulary and recognition than creativity. But still quite a skill.

– Afire

Magnus Carlson claims to have over 10,000 games memorized. Where’s the fun in that?

Karolyn and I finally got to watch this. Very well done series.

Register Sign in to join the conversation