Miscellaneous Rumbles

Way OT: “The Queen’s Gambit”

Anyone checked out this mini series on Netflix? It's about a child chess prodigy with addiction issues and her quest to become the best chess player in the world. Very well done program only 7 episodes. Highly recommended.

My wife and I watched it all in the last week, pretty enjoyable! Certainly does a good job of making chess exciting!

We’re watching it. Going to watch the last episode tonight. Absolutely love it.

Yes, we binge-watched it a couple of weeks ago! Very entertaining show and really great mid century decors. That alone is worth watching it!

Have you seen Ratched? That's a good one too.

Excellent Series, we really enjoyed it. I especially like period stuff. Rattched was great as well. Fortitude was really my first binge, cant wait till season 3.

I haven't seen Ratched yet. Looks like that will be me and Ms. Slade's next viewing. Thanks for the rec!

We just started watching it! It drew us in very quickly, we'll probably binge watch it!

I have one episode left. So good. Her wardrobe is fantastic. Makes me miss having time to play chess.

The director did a Western series called Godless that I would also recommend.

I saw the trailer. We'll have to check it out, thanks.

Excellent mini-series. I know NOTHING about chess, yet I followed the tournament moves like I was a grand master. Plus, I like redheads! Great show!

Why are they called trailers when they come before the release?

Ratched was a hoot, loved it. We’ve also binged through (and I recommend) The OA, Humans, Carnival Row, Frankenstein Chronicles, Lost in Space, Man in the High Castle, The Expanse, Dark Matter, Lucifer, Suits, A Series of Unfortunate Events, One Strange Rock, This Is Us, Rome, Mars, Big Bang Theory and Space Corps.

That I can remember right now.

Lest it seem we'll just watch anything, we've started numerous others which didn't sustain interest: plots and themes too hackneyed and predictable, bad writing which wastes actors, too profane/graphic/violent/perverse (pursuing those values for their own ends, to no good purpose), and/or just too ridiculous and/or stupid. (Like, say, Black Mirror and Freud, and several sci-fis which just had nothing happening under the hood.)

Such a visual delight! looks like it was shot on film. The lighting transitions are especially beautiful. I had to resist the urge to press pause , so I could have more time to appreciate the composition of so many of the frames. I really enjoyed the story and performances too. Especially the mother daughter relationship. I'm sure the eyes helped but she absolutely has the Natalie Wood stare. Made the extreme close ups mesmerising.

Finally got through the last episode. I don’t want to say too much for the benefit of those who haven’t seen it yet, but I was an emotional wreck. My son is adopted and it just pressed all my buttons. You want so hard for those kids to succeed and be able to work through whatever trauma they carry with them. I was on the verge of tears for every moment except the chess matches. It’s just so well done.

Now I’m moving on to season two of Girls From Ipanema (a.k.a. Coisa Mas Linda) with music direction and originals by our very own João Erbetto. On Netflix. SHAMELESS PLUG. If you need to gently wean yourself off all the mid-Century design beauty of Queen’s Gambit, this may do the trick for you.

Loved it.

I'm sure the eyes helped but she absolutely has the Natalie Wood stare. Made the extreme close ups mesmerising. - eCastro

At times, she almost doesn't look human.

I binge watched it in one evening. Fantastic story!

Those orphanage scenes were very powerful.

(on getting adopted) "You're too old, and I'm too Black".

And when the young lady walked out of the "frat party" when all the teenage girls started singing to the TV..Priceless.

Every so often , a true gem shows up on television.

We binged it last week. Absolutely give it a thumbs up!

Those orphanage scenes were very powerful. LA_Manny

They brought back some tremendously emotional memories for me too. Between 1981 and 1985, I was stationed at SHAPE in Mons Belgium, at a NATO assignment. Several of the American service members were musicians and we formed a band. A local Belgian lady, the wife of an American GS 16 (Civil service) approached us after hearing us rehearsing at the Rec Center, and asked if we would be interested in playing a benefit show for the Saint Gertrude orphanage. She had been looking for something like this to benefit the orphanage. She had grown up in the the orphanage and continued to do charity work for them long after she left. The Church only provided the basic necessities for the children, and she thought they deserved more. We gladly accepted, and it turned out to be huge gala affair.

With the members of our rock band and several other American musicians, we were able to put together two additional bands, a County & Western band, and a Jazz/Funk band (the core of each group was the same). The show was held in the main sanctuary, and the commissary at the American Air Force Base (in Chievres Belgium), donated hamburgers, hotdogs, a grill, soda pop, and all the buns and condiments, which were sold during the event. Tickets were sold in advance and at the door, and we packed the place. The local radio station had been advertising and stressing the 'American Band' thing. The public delighted not only in seeing three American Bands, but in eating America Hotdogs and Hamburgers! They didn't have anything close to Hamburgers and Hotdogs in Europe back then (nor probably even now), and this was a rare treat for the Belgian people.

The event was a tremendous success, and there was enough money generated, along with funds from patrons, to rehab the older children's dormitory. The children had been sleeping like like they did in the Queens Gambit, open bay, like a homeless shelter. There was enough money to build wall partitions for each child (in the older children's dormitory), giving them a small private bedroom with a bed, desk, chair, lamp, a small chest of drawers, and a rudimentary wardrobe to hang clothing. The kids were tearfully grateful, and couldn't thank us enough.

Because of the success of the show, we did it again three more times during my time there. Eventually, every every child in all of the dormitories had their own little bedroom and furnishings. They were also able to improve the kitchens, dining rooms, and common areas. After each project was completed, the band was invited to an open house to see these precious children in their new environment. I was moved to tears every time.

The feelings I get from having been involved with something like this is not pride, it's a deep gratitude. The lifestyle of those children was positively impacted by something that I was a part of. It remains to this day, the single most important thing I've ever been involved with.

cant wait till next season.. We just now finished The Liberator series and the cell shading style makes it even more interesting, just not on a Queens Gambit or West World level (is Peaky Blinders really done?)

cant wait till next season.. We just now finished The Liberator series and the cell shading style makes it even more interesting, just not on a Queens Gambit or West World level (is Peaky Blinders really done?)

– TheNocturneBrain

Ohhhh Yeah! The Liberator is an incredibly well done animation, Tavo! What a great story, and it's based on real life. That one was very good, we enjoyed it start to finish! I would actually loose track that I was watching an animation. It was a great story, and we enjoyed it very much!

Ohhhh Yeah! The Liberator is an incredibly well done animation, Tavo! What a great story, and it's based on real life. That one was very good, we enjoyed it start to finish! I would actually loose track that I was watching an animation. It was a great story, and we enjoyed it very much!

– Wade H

spot on!!

WADE H - That's a great story. Wonderful achievement. Was really not in a good mood today until I read that.

I'll have to check out "The Liberator". We've been going thru "Ratched" and once I realized it was supposed to be sorta campy I've enjoyed it more. I was comparin it to "TQ's G" and that just wasn't fair.

What I especially love it about it is that it's only 7 episodes. Said what had to be said and was done. Too many shows go on far too long.

Register Sign in to join the conversation