Miscellaneous Rumbles

UK Tour - Thanks Deke!!

...and once again a huge thank you to Bax and the GDP. If it wasn’t for this amazing forum I never would have met Deke & Rachel (Nashville Roundup 2011) . Wonderful people who quickly became a pair of our closest friends.

And the big thanks to Deke is for going above and beyond and gathering up the entire stage gear that my band The Wheelgrinders used for our UK tour. Deke’s own gear, including his 6120EC, and extra gear from Deke’s mates meant we were able to travel from Vancouver to the UK with just our suitcases and merch and hit the ground running.

We had a fabulous time and all our shows were a blast...especially the final one, last night, when we were honoured to have Deke join us on stage as our special guest.

Thanks buddy...you really are a top man!!!

Sounds like fun, Greg. And I'm glad you could get the help you needed! Now come to Holland next time!

Ah, didn't know about the visit, guess Hastings was in the wrong direction. Let me know when you do it again. Nice looking guitar Deke, musta got that from a handsome fellah!

Well would you lookit those peas in a pod! Like long-separated brothers.

I’m glad the tour went well, Greg. I’m sure it was a great time.

Yep...was a fantastic tour. Everybody at our shows and everyone we met along the way were fabulous, friendly people.

We even got a passing grade from the Rockabilly Inspector at the Atomic Vintage Festival last week!

Edit: The site won’t let me upload a pic right now. I’ll add it later. My favorite pic of the tour

Deke & Rachel... It's just hard to find better people than them anywhere.

We even got a passing grade from the Rockabilly Inspector

Well gee willikers, Mr Wizard - as thoroughly authentic as I know you and the other grinders keep things, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t!

Aw guys, now ya just makin' me blush...

This last couple of weeks was about as far from a chore as you could possibly get. Greg and the band are a pleasure to be around and were very welcome Chez Martin. Proper house-trained and everything (not something you can say about all musos). The only downside to the whole shebang was incompatible scheduling meant we missed out on hooking up with Mrs WG during her brief accompaniment of the tour. By the time she got here I was in Denmark with work.

And boy, do those folks play! If you live anywhere near BC you really should be making plans to see these guys, I mean REALLY. If you're nowhere near BC, you may want to consider selling up and relocating

As Greg said, it wasn't all my gear, a couple of friends of mine stepped in where I came up short. So a huge big thank you to the guys I play with; Tim for the PA speakers and bass amp, and Martin for the drum kit. It would have been a whole different coupla weeks without their help.

And finally a big thank you backatcha, Greg. You know what for...

Oh, and Vince; yes, a very handsome fella. As you can see some rubbed off...

Although, Greg...from the picture it looks like Deke out-shoed you.

Great Pic. I agree with Miss. Deed. We need video.

They're some shoes, ain't they? Lansky's of Memphis - Clothier To The King. Got E's signature inside and everything.

A dear friend gave me those...

Why, I have a shirt from Lansky's. Nice fabric, white with black sides. But I should know better than to wear white. I get to wear it once.

There's a stain.

Shoes or no shoes, the dude’s just too cool for school.

Aww...thanks for the kind words Deke!

And Proteus...yep, I was definitely outshoed on Saturday!

Why, I have a shirt from Lansky's. Nice fabric, white with black sides. But I should know better than to wear white. I get to wear it once.

There's a stain.

– Proteus

Bummer. I'm just waiting for some jerk to think it would be funny to mash their foot on these and scuff them up - y'know, just for a laugh.

I wouldn't laugh.

Bespoke shoes are no laughing matter.

Probably 25 years ago I espied a pair of blue suede (tennis) shoes in a local emporium, and of course I bought them. I did my best to keep them pristine and un-stepped-on, wearing them only for reasonably special occasions. They did keep their essence of blue suede (very soft and nappy it was!) for many years. Eventually they collected some dark spots, though, and the heel area of one of the uppers separated from the sole. I think I still have them, just because, but I haven't worn them in ages.

You can smash my car and rattle my cage... (or something like that).

Here’s the Rockabilly Inspector I mentioned

My favorite pic from the tour.

Why, as I live and breathe - it’s Augustus Gloop!

Why, as I live and breathe - it’s Augustus Gloop!

– Proteus

Wondering where the heck is that river of chocolate, no doubt...

Register Sign in to join the conversation