Miscellaneous Rumbles

Twin Peaks : The Return - Did You Watch It? Your Thoughts

As for NIN: you should check out the lyrics to the song they performed (She's Gone). They're relevant, at least tangentially.

Not the same She's Gone that was a hit for Hall and Oates decades ago.

Paul/FF909

Not a lot of substance? Sunday night you saw:

1. That the atom bomb test in New Mexico in 1947 created a gateway that allowed BOB and the Black Lodge into our reality. And you saw Mother.

2. The White Lodge for the first time, and that the Giant is a resident of it. (We've always suspected he was one of the good guys.)

3. The White Lodge sent Laura Palmer to our reality to counter BOB.

4. A largely inexplicable frogbug that could be the nascent BOB, or it could be related to Laura Palmer, or it could be something else. But it's definitely something and not of no consequence.

5. Bad Cooper being shot, then being attended to (resuscitated?) by woodsmen from the Black Lodge; but what did they do to him? Some people think they excised BOB from him, leaving the "real" Dale Cooper. Maybe not. But again, it was not an insignificant event.

6. "Got a light?" No telling, no telling. Perhaps we'll see the MC again; if not, his terrifying actions in that scene will lead to something.

7. The convenience store, as referenced by Phillip Jeffries in Fire Walk With Me. And we hear an ongoing connection to Jeffries, in Ray's phone call to him after shooting Coop. The mystery nags: how does Jeffries fit into everything?

Overall, we are seeing that the central struggle in Twin Peaks is much bigger than it originally appeared.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Don't forget the white horse reference.....Sarah Palmer's vision?

Not a lot of substance? Sunday night you saw...

Interesting stuff. I'd never watched a minute of Twin Peaks until about six months ago. I enjoy it immensely, but admittedly, I'm not getting it all. It did not occur to me that the 1920s space theater would be the White Lodge.

Not a lot of substance? Sunday night you saw...

Interesting stuff. I'd never watched a minute of Twin Peaks until about six months ago. I enjoy it immensely, but admittedly, I'm not getting it all. It did not occur to me that the 1920s space theater would be the White Lodge.

– Afire

I remember when Twin Peaks was on ABC in first runs but never watched it but a few years later Bravo Channel aired the series and I happened upon it and was hooked. Lynch added the somewhat creepy Log Lady scene in the beginning just for Bravo. I think that's what got me to watch.

With that said I've scene the series in its entirety plus FWWM a few times and still miss a lot lol the meaning in all the seasons plus FWWM.

As for NIN: you should check out the lyrics to the song they performed (She's Gone). They're relevant, at least tangentially.

Not the same She's Gone that was a hit for Hall and Oates decades ago.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I prefer Hall And Oates to NIN. I'll check the lyrics out per your suggestion because I fast forwarded over NIN on the DVR.

I rewatched last night. This time I did FF through NIN.

After the original Season 1, there wasn't much for me that I liked, except these.

...------

indianation, that is pretty funny. I never saw that video before. Thanks for posting it.

I think not. Coop will be back in true form soon in upcoming episodes.

– ThePolecats

We're running a little short on time, though with the Janey-E revelation, the time may be coming.

Overall, I liked Season 3 but leaving a cliffhanger like this as the ending to the show is brutal. As many other fans are saying, it is the opening for a 4th Season and hope so.

I know we are never going to get a defined ending with David Lynch but this was far from answering the questions that the promise of a Season 3 would deliver.

Spoiler for any fans out there who did not see it: It ends with Cooper taking Laura back to her childhood home after some sort of time paradox/ alternate reality has occurred. What sucks most about it is that it erases most of what we saw, characters and and occurrences of season 1 and 2.

I don't know if we presume that everything is still there and he's just in an alternate universe, or if his actions completely wiped out the past as we knew it. If there is a season 4, and I hope there is, the I presume it would be at least partially about him finding the way back, which could be interesting.

Really, I don't know what to make of it. But I'm not well versed in the intricacies of Twin Peaks. At some point I'll rewatch it start to finish starting with FWWM. I'd like to know if there is going to be a season 4, because I would wait to do that until it was coming up.

I don't know if we presume that everything is still there and he's just in an alternate universe, or if his actions completely wiped out the past as we knew it. If there is a season 4, and I hope there is, the I presume it would be at least partially about him finding the way back, which could be interesting.

Really, I don't know what to make of it. But I'm not well versed in the intricacies of Twin Peaks. At some point I'll rewatch it start to finish starting with FWWM. I'd like to know if there is going to be a season 4, because I would wait to do that until it was coming up.

– Afire

I really liked Season 3 but my issue is new characters and plot lines that were never really addressed again.....example is Red with Shelly, Shelly's daughter, and quite a few other things. Another disappointing element was not fully diving into the back story of what was happening to Sarah Palmer.

Lynch had expressed his intent to bring to the fans a story with great closure. Yes, many questions were answered like the meaning of a Blue Rose case but I think Lynch's direction became overly ambitious. I would've thought the story to be that Cooper was to return and work with Cole and Albert to really dive into the darkness/evil we were shown to exist in those woods around Twin Peaks.

I could write pages on this and have looked at every theory but in summary, the finale occurs in the sheriff's office and the clock fails to hit 2:53 and clicking back to 2:52. I believe that when it then cuts to Gordon, Diane, and Cooper walking together, Cooper starts a dream and everything shown after that is in Cooper's mind. It would be the only real explanation because of the what we saw in the last episode.

The whole ending is really left open for viewer interpretation where the last episode is really the start of a new path vs. an open ending.

Overall, I am pleased but in past interviews, Lynch had said if he ever where to revisit Twin Peaks again, it would not end in a cliffhanger as he thought doing that at the end of Season 2 was cruel to the fans on purpose so there would be enough pressure for ABC to not move forward with canceling the show.

I have read comments from some of the actors, Harry Goaz (Deputy Andy), and they were not pleased with the ending. Even Kyle MacLachlan has backtracked via recent statements about the satisfaction of this season being the finale. He admits that what turned out in the end did not completely translate to what he thought after not only filming it but also having been the only cast member to read the whole script.

Oh man, too bad, Harry Dean Stanton died. I am glad he was able to make it into Twin Peaks Season 3. He was a great actor.

Register Sign in to join the conversation